This rebuild could take 3-4 years minimum

Holmes and Campbell will be finding new jobs if the team isn’t playoff contending in 3-4 years. This is the NFL, there are no long term rebuilds.

This season is a mulligan (development year), the wins will be expected to start coming in Year 2 and playoffs should be the expectation by Year 3.

Yeah if it takes another 3-4 years I’m out.

I mean, that’s the game plan right? Throw the ball to your best playmakers. That’s not Cephus or Benson or Raymond.

When the game plan changed in the 4th quarter we started throwing bombs. People have got to get it out of their head that the reason we are throwing short is because Goff lacks “confidence” or he can’t get it there. That’s what the coaching staff wants.

What’s funny is it didn’t work. They did all of that tanking to load up on draft picks and then blew the draft picks. They started to see some success when they started making their own draft picks instead of trading down like maniacs…and they started flipping draft picks for existing NFL players and bringing in free agents. Basically stuff they could have already done without wasting all of those years with the failed tank and load up on magic beans strategy.

Here’s 36 picks over a 3 year span of the tank job and virtually none of these guys are on the team right now.

1 Like

I said I wasn’t going to judge the team for the first three games which would all be losses.

I think we will show vast improvement In the passing game by then, along with continued success running.

I think our defensive backfield will be Iffy, if you will, so this could get scary in the short term.

Not judgments. I need to see a lot more before I give up the dream.

2 Likes

Where did you find this stat?

I honestly quit reading most posts because what in the actual f##k were people expecting? I mean in what world did they think we were going to be competitive right out of the blocks? WAIT, watch and learn. I expect improvement week over week, that’s it. How that shows up in the w/l column I don’t know, although by mid season I think we’ll have seen pretty much what we have in players AND staff.

3 Likes

ray charles laugh GIF

1 Like

For me I certainly didn’t have high expectations for this year or even next year. I just have to realize that it could certainly extend beyond a 1-2 year rebuild and could last longer than that. I would love to keep sipping the kool-aid, but once again I would set myself up to have higher expectations.

I made a comment yesterday that said it felt like we were no better on defense after Patricia because the Lions couldn’t stop the run or pass. I didn’t expect the defense to go from the dumpster fire of last year to being a top 15, but I did have hope it could have been a top 25 defense, but I didn’t see that yesterday. Garoppolo had a QBR of almost 125 and the D allowed 120 yards rushing.

Hopefully as the year goes on we see some improvement on D especially.

check under Lions Oline analysis

1 Like

Ah, nice. Thanks.

“The Process” didn’t even work in the NBA.

I don’t understand why tanking has such an ardent following and so many advocates. It has to be some human psychology thing where people are wired to be drawn to the counter-intuitive.

Losing is the way to winning, you have to be bad to be good… it’s all BS, but people keep regurgitating it.

Dudes got hair for days

Tigers Clemson GIF by ACC Network

It’s the business side of things. Thinking you can spend less and still have the same success. Some few do make it work. (Tampa Rays for example)
As fans, we believe that if you spend money on one area, you can’t spend in another. You know, high priced free agents. We think back to how Dan Snyder used to pay any and every player he could a bajillion dollars for decades long. We then see how the Redskins have sucked. (Still better then us). Meanwhile, it appears the Pats spend no money on anyone, and get title after title (not true, but it appears that way sometimes).
So overspending becomes the main issue with many of us, and overspending = failure.
But, it’s just one thing that could lead to failure. And sometimes, overspending gets you a championship (‘95 49ers, Manning’s Broncos)
There’s many ways to skin a cat. The Lions just keep piercing the poop sack. Grab a new dagger, try again.

no, IF we are winning 10/11 games at a fair pace? that’s a pretty significant improvement for The Detroit Lions-to…doesn’t have to be all playoffs and bowls.

Agreed. SF is a SB contender right now and we went right down to the wire with them. Yes we need pieces but the Oline is built (we played without our starting LT), the RB’s are good to go, Dline is on it’s way. LB, DB and WR rooms need some work but if that is a 4 year process, then yes we did hire the wrong guys. The wildcard is QB. If we have to blow all our prime picks to move up for a franchise QB, then that may be a reason for a longer delay, but with a great Oline/RB/TE situation it won’t be what Stafford walked into for sure and may be a situation where the young guy can start very early on without getting killed. TBD. Onwuzurike didn’t even play and I think guys like him and JOk are pieces that will contribute a lot as we go.

1 Like

Maybe the single dumbest criticism of Stafford was that he lacked killer instinct. Stafford was the guy you wanted to hand the ball with time running out. He was very proficient at scoring game winners (and very unfortunate that many of those weren’t game winners because we didn’t have a defense).

What I didn’t understand last game is why the hell didn’t we take one shot in the end zone? Not one shot after we had a first down at like the 20-25? Weird.

1 Like

Yeah, I agree with almost all of this. My exception is that they should draft a quarterback next year (2022) and they shouldn’t have to trade any of their extra picks to position themselves for it. As I’ve said before, Goff is a short term thing. This year and next year then gone. He looks lost if his primary isn’t there and he has to improvise. Draft a QB in the next draft, let him sit(for the most part) behind Goff in 2022 learning the system. I know. Teams don’t do this much anymore, but some of us old timers remember when sitting a QB his 1st year was the norm, but it does have advantages. They’ll have a bunch of draft picks to get receivers, D-line, linebackers, etc… Then in 2023 draft some finishing touches. There will also be free agent pick ups as the salary cap gets straightened out.
I also agree that Goff needs a stud team around him. That’s why he had the ‘success’ he had in LA. That’s why/how he got to the Super Bowl.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s on Lynn then, says this armchair QB. :smile:

You’ve got to send at least one guy down there to try and draw coverage away from the sticks and be a hail mary target if needed. I stand by the notion that Lynn should have told him not to let his deal go down and chuck it up. Oh well, they had no business winning that game. Hopefully lessons are learned.

Its week 1. Bill Barnwell tweeted this and he has an excellent point:

Things that happened in Week 1 last year: - Jags’ late comeback beat the Colts (same old Philip Rivers!) - Browns got blown out by 32 points - Josh Allen missed two easy TDs (same old Josh!) - Brady threw a pick-six as the Bucs lost by 11

We need to chill out. We have a new GM, a new HC, new coordinators, new schemes and a new QB. All the 49ers have is a new DC. It shouldn’t be a surprise that they had a load less rough edges than we did.

It will be a few weeks before the team’s on field identity fully emerges, and that’s when we’ll begin to find out whether the coaching staff is worth anything. Right now its just hot takes on a very small sample size.

Agree with others though, if it takes 3-4 years we hired the wrong guys.