This team needs a DT, and BH needs to go big

I’m not talking about Buggs, or some average low cost player, or some 2nd round pick or later. I’m talking either a massive free agent signing like Payne or possibly Oliver, or a trade for someone like Buckner, or move up for Carter.

They are set at DE/Edge for now. And good back-up. Paschel, Romero, Harris, Cominsky, and pass rushers like Houston, and Julian.

I honestly think it’s time to go all out. It’s time to be aggressive. This team is already going to compete for a division titles, and playoff spot. Their 2nd half record was at an elite team level.

Break the bank! Make a trade. While having the 6th pick, another 1st, and 2 seconds.

Its time to go for the gusto! Go all in now!

1 Like

Not Oliver, that guy is a major liability against the run. And I think Payne probably wants to be paid too much for Brad & Co (and I’m not sure he’s worth it). Buckner and Carter would be great.

5 Likes

Payne isn’t all that great agains the run and he is wanting to reset the DT market. Don’t want them to do anything that jeopardize the future and flexibility they have worked so hard to get.

7 Likes

Free agent CB might have better value than DT. Don’t get me wrong ,Payne is a great player. But like the other guys are saying.whats his contact demands?

3 Likes

Lions need a run stopping DT, a LB who can cover TEs, and a lockdown corner. So I agree with you on getting a DT, but disagree on breaking the bank for one. Can’t put all our eggs in one basket with so many unfilled baskets.

6 Likes

Man it was ugly yesterday, Oliver was invisible and was just getting his butt kicked by the Bengals O-line with 3 backups starting.

3 Likes

My answer is simple, please NO. It is not time to make that kind of move yet if ever. I do not see any reason the Lions should change what they have been doing for the last 2 seasons.

3 Likes

I don’t know who the player will be, and I’m open to a lot of different players either signing, or trading, or drafting one. I wouldn’t be against giving up one of our 2nd round picks to move up for Carter. Or a cool trade like Brad did last season were they gave up a late pick, and just moved back some.

I’m not against paying top dollar to someone. And why do people think Brad won’t? He never said if he’s for it, or against it. So I’m not sure where people get this idea. The reason I am fine with a top dollar player is because that’s just how the game works. Eventually, Ra, Hutch, and others, if they keep playing well will demand the same. The Lions have core guys that are so young they can spend now before they’re up.

I don’t know why people think signing someone to a big contract jeopardizes the future? Free agency is real. This is why teams sign top level players. Otherwise no one would, and these great players would be out of a job. These players signed to these massive contracts become a franchise player for your team. The salary cap changes. There are a lot of variables. After a few seasons those big contracts aren’t so big anymore.

Unless you go on some massive spending spree every season with no young players to develop. The mistake is kind of what the Rams did. Yes they won a superbowl, and I would copy that exact same strategy to give us at least one superbowl, but the real problem is they are signing aging players, and the key here is they are giving up draft picks.

Of course you have to be smart with who you sign, and smart about the whole thing. but I just think with the 6th pick, another 1st, and 2 2nd rounders, with such a young team… they can go big.

Of course I’m trusting Brad. This is just talk.

Actualy Holmes stated that he expects to keep doing what the plan is in Free agency. Now many of us believe that means he is not going after any high priced FAs, just mid players. I would also say that while I like Carter I believe the Bears, who would be the best team to trade with for him, will be asking for a king’s ransom and I do not want the Lions to or believe that Holmes would make that kind of trade. So I have just accepted that Carter, Payne and a few other players are just not in the cards for the Lions.

5 Likes

For what it’s worth, Buggs tweeted this. Would love to have him back

6 Likes

The options for starting DT plugs with some pocket push/rush are Saika Aki and Mazi Smith, IMO. My crystal ball says at least one of them falls to #48, so if Brad passes on DL at #6, I’m good.

4 Likes

I’d love them to get Buckner.

2 Likes

I think there is a decent chance Carter falls. QB and DE are more premium positions. And Chicago might be thinking about getting their young QB some offensive help. Early run on those positions and Carter falls into your lap at 6.

1 Like

Preacher Buggs!

4 Likes

He and Michael Pittman are the two names I see floated most often in trade-up scenarios with Chicago. You’d think Buckner wouldn’t want any part of that. Pittman’s young and could grow with the team, but Buckner’s not.

1 Like

Buckner would be great. Grover Stewart would be nice as well and much cheaper bith innterms of draft pick compensation and financial commitments.

I think Chicago possibly asking for a “kings ransom” would be for those looking to trade up for one of the QBs. It’s always QBs. No other player (so far) has that kind of value, and it’s rare they ever do. So it’s definitely a realistic possibility Detroit can move up a spot or two without giving up that much.

I am all about the trenches. I firmly believe with no doubt that if they get a really good DT, not just some contributor, it will make a world of a difference for so many reasons.

I may be going out on a limb, but I think 4 QBs are going in the top 8. Maybe less. I think Richardson will blow up the combine, and he might go higher than expected based on pure potential. Like Trey Lance.

I think Seattle might be in play for a QB. Geno had a good season, but I don’t see him as their guy. Falcons also.

The QB run gives us slim hope for Carter.

Every season we all get excited for the draft (at least I do). It’s been our sad Superbowl. But as soon as this team got healthy, and the rookies found a groove, with some adjustments by the coaches, they went 9-2 with one play away from beating the Bills. Imagine starting 9-2.

This draft, and off-season is the most exciting I have ever experienced. Or will experience. A team that finished 9-2, armed with the 6th pick, another 1st, and 2 2nds, with a lot of cap space, plus Jamo, plus Brad’s history of finding gems in the later rounds can push them into playoff contenders.

I am excited!

1 Like

I think you’re right about that, and if somehow they all go in the first 5 picks, we’ll be set with one of Carter or Anderson. It may also offer us some ability to trade down, though that’s still statistically unlikely. And I’m really confident the Raiders will have added a QB in the off-season. Since they’re right behind us, that would also hurt our trade-down chances.

I also think it’s a non-zero % chance one of those QBs goes to us. I wouldn’t do that unless Young was still around, but I’m not Brad.

They need to stay on course. Continue with building. It would be foolish to throw a bunch of money and draft picks around just for a season or two of temporary gratification. That’s been done and it doesn’t work. The latest example is the Rams. They sacrificed their future for the now. But their now has come and gone and where are they now? The other end of the spectrum is the Patriots. You didn’t see the Patriots do that and how’d that work out? Pretty damn good.
No, stay the course. Build for the future.

2 Likes

I agree. We all support Goff, but drafting a QB, and let him sit for 2 seasons (Goff’s contract) would not be a shock. But of course it all depends. Goff isn’t going anywhere if he keeps playing the way he is.

It’s also a weird feeling to trust, and back our GM. This is a first for me. Unless Brad drafts a TE in the top 10 or anywhere in the first round. Then he will join the others…lol.

1 Like