Thoughts on George Pickens?

I personally feel like he’s the number 2 receiver in this draft behind Garrett Wilson and that he cluld actually be the best one day. I think his injury is being way overblown and his stock is ridiculously cheap. I would be ecstatic if we ended up with him somehow.

What do you think about his injury situation and him as a player?

5 Likes

I agree with you.
His pro day or combine day, if he attends, along with medical records will help determine where he goes.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see him move up boards if his medicals prove out.

1 Like

This is about more than 2021, he also had an injury in 2020 that limited his play.

“George Pickens didn’t waste much time displaying his talents on the college level. As a freshman, he led the Bulldogs with 727 yards receiving, including a Sugar Bowl performance that saw 175 yards on 12 catches and a touchdown to take home the MVP honors.”

That’s who he CAN be.

“In 2020, Pickens played just eight games due to an injured pectoral muscle as well as a condensed season during COVID, though he managed to still flash with 513 yards on 36 receptions.”

THAT’s who he has been. Clearly an outstanding player when he’s healthy, but so was Golladay. I’d rather not roll the dice early on a player we need to have full time use of, we need someone w/o that kind of baggage.

Dan says receivers have to get separation and George Pickens is kind of a Kenny Golladay clone. If he survives to #66, sure, why not? If we’re talking #32 or 34, I’d pass for different WRs or different positions.

3 Likes

I’m with you, Holmes. Shake’n’Bake!

Nah give me Watson at 34

I really like his freshman tape but his sophomore tape wasn’t nearly as good. It was weird. I also hear he’s quite the diva receiver, that he might go all Michael Thomas/ODB/TO on whatever team drafts him. I’d much rather have like a Christian Watson at this point.

I just went and watched Watsons tape last night. Very impressive. Is he a serious threat to go in the 2nd now? I kinda assumed we could grab him in the 3rd if none of the top guys were there at 32/34.

If Watson runs as expected then yes I think he goes in round 2.

Agreed. He could go really high in round two, like to us.

I’d be fine with it. There’s a lot of WRs in this draft that I see as having #1WR upside but few that I’m sold on the idea of them reaching it. He’s in that group. Ultimately I trust Brad especially at that position.

I’ve seen PIckens sort of “fall” lower on some respected experts boards whereas before he was considered the best WR or one of the best in the class pre-injury. Brugler has him in the 60s on his latest top 100 and he is not on Jeremiah’s top 50 even though guys like Jalen Torbert are.

That’s probably bc Jalen Tolbert is awesome.

True.

I would love it if we got a crack at Pickens round 3.

Pickens strikes me as someone who will be eager to prove his worth ala st brown because he was listed as a top 5 wr preinjury. If we’re double dipping at wr in the mid rounds this is the guy I want. People talk about his separation and others have compared him to golladay but he runs precise routes and runs a larger route tree than golladay ever did.

1 Like

Its funny I read his player comp on NFL.com as Josh Reynolds.

1 Like

What I like about Pickens is that he catches everything with his hands same reason David bell is one of my favorite late 1st early 2nd guys. He runs good routes high points the ball and is hellbent on scoring once he’s got it in his hands. If he reaches his potential the kid could end up being one of the best from this class same as Amon ra was last year

1 Like

I wonder if he is going to test. He played in the NCG a little.

FYI - This article suggests the Lions may have interest at 32.

It’s pure speculation but an interesting read none the less.

There is top ten in the draft type talent there. But there’s also a ton of consistency and durability concern. Would definitely be a swing for the fences.