Too Overlooked

Seems the WR role is stretching the field and the underneath weapons are RB and TE. And at the moment the Lions could have one of the better stables there. Assuming Hock can keep his egg healthy

Along with Freeman, Driver, Sharpe, Cobb and I’m sure I’m blanking on others, but they usually have had over the yrs some very good WRs

2 Likes

@MyLions

Thing is … good players can be found no matter where you draft

Then add all the teams you cite have what are likely to be hall of fame QBs where even if STAFFORD is deserving his time in Detroit doesn’t make him a Brady Russell Brees Rodgers lock for the HoF

Rodgers might’ve win more than one ring if his FO had taken a different approach and spent big at WR so we just don’t know

To me
It seems like building your team around your assets and available assets
But along with great coaching and front office plus ownership

Makes the value of any one player or position questionable.

People now clown on Billicheck for Patriots lapse and Brady success but truth is Tampa looks stacked
Whereas NE looks more in transition and had important players sit last year.

It’s like the argument of Hock … can he ever live up to top 10 status when the great TE in league history were never drafted Thst high yet in a re draft the NFL would take Kittle top 5.
Or Kelce.

Randy Moss might have a ring in Minny had it not been for the kicker missing vs Atlanta.

1 Like

Cephus should be are starting slot the guy can get open quick an has strong hands. Keep burners on outside an on slants Hock an Cephus can play over the middle not every snap but that could be there main area of work.

He’s a build-up runner who lacks suddenness to uncover and may need to be motioned, bunched, and lined in the slot to help with early separation. Teams know he can catch it but will need to see him get open. Cephus is a possession receiver with the profile of a capable WR3/4.

Not comparing the two. I mentioned in an earlier post he reminds me of Jason Avant. I am strictly talking about the “role” Boldin played here late in his career. That is the same “role” I envision for Cephus. A big slot who is not going to average a high YPC. Someone who is going to do the dirty work so to speak. Cephus has a good frame to box guys out and decent short area quickness to be good on crossers, slants, short in and out breaking routes, and stuff similar to that. He is not going to run a bunch of go routes or deep ins/outs or posts and things of that nature.

I’d like to see him
Do well.

Jerry rice dropped a lot of passes as a rookie.
Keenan Allen had success isn’t seen as a burner.

Hopefully these coaches can help players shine in their roles.

Cephus did run a 4.5 at his pro day, so while he isnt a speedster, it wasnt my main concern. What I didn’t like was that he has small hands. He did have some drops last year. Hopefully he can clean that up.

Lost me at “didn’t provide much fantasy value” :joy:

Where did you find that?

1 Like

that’s wha she said

1 Like

Folks. You are getting lost in the trees and y’all are not seeing the forest.

Cephus proved the game isn’t too big for him. Brad Holmes went out and got two experienced outside WRs who have a great YPC average. That is a money all trip.

Add to that a fine talent who slips to rd. 2 and that is a great $ball approach to the position.

Cephus is a good WR who makes us better. Some people want to act like he is Patrick Edward’s when he isn’t.

If we draft a WR in RD 2 (making a significant investment with that pick) thus group is a group you can win with as we have an experienced QB. We will be able to challenge all three levels with a group like that. And Cephus makes us better (to the point of the thread).

If we didn’t have Cephus we would be in real trouble because this kid has upside. Add a rookie in RD
RD 2 and I am happy with this group.

1 Like

He had drops in game 1, 2 of his 3 I believe. He was solid the rest of the year. Take away his first game, and let’s remember there was no preseason. Caught 3 out of 10 his first game and 17 out of 25 for the rest of the year. It wasn’t an issue.

Lost you with facts? Happens a lot around here, plenty of guys have your problem.

1 Like

why I am liking Devonta Smith he seems to fit that description TB.

I liked Cephus before the draft last year. I think we stole him in the 6th round. He slid mainly due to his poor 40 time and the fact that he struggles against press coverages. He is a bit slow off the line. This is why I like him in the slot and in motion. If used properly he can be a real weapon. I honestly expect him to be our starting slot WR.

What I liked about him is his aggressive route running and physicality at boxing out defenders.

Personally I think he’s going to make a good slot WR.

2 Likes

I totally agree with this Air. That is why I am leaning towards drafting an Elijah Moore guy in rd. 2 as the WR core is balanced, filled with competition, Moore can return punts and we can do defense in rd. 1 but still field a dynamic offense but one that can also run.

Huh?
Nobody even knows if Cephus can play in this league and we don’t know to what level.

Cephus has no bearing on trying to draft a #1 WR for Goff. Heck, I don’t know if Cephus really matters at all, we might have to draft 2-3 WR’s regardless.

I don’t think he’s “too overlooked”, I just think he’s a 4-5th WR.

2 Likes

Why would you wonder if he can play in this league?

We have other positions like this too. Guys that we may have to rely on at other positions. We have many areas to fix, which gives us TREMENDOUS flexibility, this year. I’d go for who appears to be the best long term fit. We have much to do. This year is easier to narrow it. Build the roster for the future, whichever means they feel is most conducive to big window of success.

It is possible we can draft 3 WRs, but I’d rather go with the guy who is a super freak that’s gonna change the future long term.

I can see Cephus/Perriman/etc working out long term…or not. They could be placeholders, or they could “work out.” I think ppl’s definition of “work out” will differ.

I just hope we can sit back and enjoy the ride

Because he was a 5th round pick who had 20 receptions. He wouldn’t be the first low round pick that wasn’t able to make it in the NFL…and for some reason you guys act like he should be one of our starting WR’s, it’s insane.

1 Like

And on his WAY to those receptions he also did this…" Cephus was tenth among wide receivers in aDot (Average Depth of Target) with 14.5, fifth in yards per reception (17.4), tenth in yards per target (10.0), first in average cushion (4.62), and eleventh in target separation (2.11)."