Tracy Walker - I don’t need anyone to tell me how good I am

How would you feel if the lions made a run at Williams and peppers to pair together?

2 Likes

Plan 1- Low cost
Walker- Draft pick 32 or 33
Veteran FA backup
Harris

AAV for group $13m

Plan 2 Mid cost
Marcus Williams
Vet fa or Marlowe
Draft pick deeper in draft
Harris

AAV $15/16M

Plan 3 High cost
Walker
Williams
Deep draft pick
Harris

AAV $20M

I like Plan 2 because They Need Difference Makers.

Plan 1 is more likely if they drop big FA $ on one guy

Plan 3 is more likely if they go WR and QB or LB at 32/34.

Give me plan three all day, IMO. Safety is a key part in the defense Aaron Glenn likes to play and you know they are going to prioritize it. I know Air does not believe they will keep both Walker and Williams because they are both FS, but I don’t see that as a roadblock in todays NFL.

Safety is a premier position in Glenn’s defense. They’re the main communicator for the back seven of the defense, and Walker has not only assumed that role, but Glenn has seen tremendous progress from September to now.

“(Safeties) are one of the captains of our team because of the communication we ask them to do and he’s going to continue to grow,” Glenn said. “Now, as far as making plays and all of that, that’s one thing you saw flashes of with him throughout the season. And, you’re only going to see him get better at that because I think he’s understanding the scheme a lot more than he did from Week 1 to Week now.”

2 Likes

I agree. Walker’s probably around a league average starting safety. A total of 3 interceptions in 4 years is far from being a playmaker or a difference maker. For the right price, I’d bring him back, but overpaying him would be a mistake.

1 Like

Guessing they will let him test the market
Total guess …
Based on his apparent perception of his value

I dont understand how many interceptors people think he should’ve gotten in the Patricia era --/ how do you account for lack of plsy making in a scheme that had so many other issues ?

I don’t know what he’s worth but if anything I count the Patricia years as stunting his development where his best ball is ahead of him

1 Like

I think that is the right approach if he is asking for to much. Let another team set his value and if he can get more let him walk. He is far from irreplaceable if his cost gets to high.

1 Like

This - if his ask is within range do all you can to get a deal done. Otherwise let him test away.

1 Like

I mean yea Patricia’s D was pathetic. But, Patricia wasn’t the coach last year. Walker had only 1 pick in 15 games last year under AG. And the 1 interception he did have came in the last 30 seconds of the season vs Jordan Love. If Rodgers plays the 2nd half, he would have had 0 ints in 15 games. And let’s be honest here Julian gifted him that INT with great pressure in Love’s face. Walker simply hasn’t been a playmaker or a difference maker. That’s why I’d be very careful with the amount of cash I’d be willing to give him. He’s decent, don’t get me wrong. But, we need our safeties to make impactful plays consistently. AG is on record saying just that. Getting a pass rush would surely help as well. That’s why I want Hutch so bad.

2 Likes

I want a dominant safety on this team so bad. Walker has a chance to improve but what’s his ceiling? If we are looking for average to slightly above average play from our safety’s then I think they would try to bring him back and focus assets in other areas. Honestly I just don’t see him playing here next season. I think they are going to prioritize getting better play from both safety positions. I hope they have a FA in mind that fits what they want to do and they are able to get him and they can get a stud in the draft.

That would make more sense.

Peppers is the type of S they hope Will Harris would be. He can play downhill at LBer and in space. He’s much better in the box than in space though.

He would pair well with Williams as your deep safety.

2 Likes

@stephenboyd57

To both of your replies I agree
But slso AD snd pleasant just haven’t said Tracy can’t do it

And I just feel the Patricia era set so much back

I just feels eerily similar to what people said about Diggs

I just want lions to build a winning team with likeable players

3 Likes

I agree on that, he set the whole franchise back in a horrible way.

I’m in the Marcus Williams FA/Lewis Cine Draft 32OA state of mind right now.

I like Walker, but not for top dollar. Nope

To me the key is understanding Walker’s value in light of a better free agent (a Devil You Know) approach Versus what kind of rookie might you be able to get and will Walker provide that much more production V. a 2022 rookie V. a better free agent.

I liked some of the attitude I saw from Walker in 2021 but 0 INTs of any meaning? Something to consider.

The other factor is what can we get for that $ if we don’t spend it on Walker? To me say Walker wants $12 million/season (I am just guessing as that seems like stupid $). That looks to me like two quality LBers that would be viable starters and with Derrick barnes and another rookie the LBer crew would look good to me. Yep, a hole at both safety spots BUT…if we went after Jabrill Peppers and drafted a rookie as well as drafting another free safety rookie I would not like that but I could live with that. The Rams drafted Jordan Fuller in the 6th round and he has started over 30 games for the Rams the last two seasons. They also drafted Terrell Burgess in the 3rd rd. and that Rams defense has been solid despite being young at safety. I would be fine with that approach here if Walker wants more than his value from Holmes. Don’t be afraid to say no.

1 Like

Tracy Walker comparison time…

Is he Louis Delmas? No. Delmas made plays.

Is he William White? No. White had 20 picks and was still a hitter too.

Is he Bennie Blades? LOLOLOL…no.

He’s better than Daniel Bullocks…say close to Delmas w/o the splashiness of his turnovers or sacks, but it’s dubious he ever gets to William White level. Maybe Delmas? Maybe.

We let Delmas walk after a short second contract that if you index it, was about 3% of the cap on that 2 yr second deal after 4 years here. 3% of the cap this year would be about $6.5m, fyi, for Walker.

That $6M number seems right because it is. It might be a bit generous.

5 Likes

Thank you… for this voice of reason.

The Lions had possibly the worst interior Dline in all of football before Holmes was hired. Thinking that 2 picks… and a trade of a future 7th round pick would “solve” the the problem is mind boggling.

2 Likes

You mean the one they gave new contract to, a guy there paying 8 million a year and 11 million gaurnteed .

I would feel pretty damn good my self.

The point is simply that they’re not done and I don’t think they thought they were done.