Trade down is SOOOOO unlikely

I think there a good chance someone moves up not sure if it’s us but to many QB needy teams someone is going to take the gamble.

So all of this has to happen:

1. Houston has to want Willis ALOT more that the other QB’s (you can actually substitute Willis’ name with Pickens, Ritter, Corral, etc throughout).
  2. Seattle, Atlanta or Carolina (SA or C) also has to want Willis ALOT more than other QB’s.
  3. SA or C has to believe Houston wants Willis
  4. SA or C does not do a pre-draft trade (otherwise they trade with Jax so they don’t get jumped).
  5. FOMO only takes place on draft day after Jax picks.

1% chance is probably high.

This passage from the article makes me want to go WR. The guy who is most like Davonte Adams (whoever that is):

“Thanks to the Davante Adams trade, the Green Bay Packers hold a pair of 2022 first-round picks. It’s evident this franchise desperately needs a top wide receiver, someone who can become the go-to weapon for Aaron Rodgers. Green Bay could wait and hope one of its primary targets falls to the 22nd pick or it can move up for the No. 1 receiver on its draft board.”

None of the QBs are objectively worth drafting at #2 based on their track record. Willis is the only one with elite traits and could grow to be worthy of #2 pick. That’s the dream. That is why:

1. Houston has to have plausible interest. With gimpy-kneed David Mills, they have that.

2. Check. There is no other QB to be concerned with for trade purposes at #2.

3. Check. Carolina certainly wants Willis instead of Darnold.

4. I’d love for someone to trade up to Jacksonville. Then we get Hutch.

5. Yes, things become real only after Jacksonville picks. Holmes will have had preliminary talks and understandings with those 4 teams and perhaps the Saints and Steelers.

IMO, 1% is way, way low. But, ya know, I’m just a fan whose parents are dead, so I’m not living in their basement at least. I’m 72, so I can say that… :cowboy_hat_face: :cowboy_hat_face: :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

1 Like

Have the Lions ever traded down from their first rd pick? I can’t find anything, and I feel pretty certain I’ve never seen it.

I think that’s part of the allure. The anticipation of what they get in return, then what they do with their extra picks…of course then there is the long wait to see who made out better with the deal.

A trade down would be pure gold around here for discussion and debate.

I would believe all would hope it was pure gold for our Lions.

I would add Ansah.

But you also have rogers, Harrington, Williams , Williams, ware….Gibson as all busts

They traded down when they drafted Laken Tomlinson. I think it would be more advantageous to trade at the top of the draft opposed to the middle to late first round.

1 Like

I think we dropped one spot (with Cleveland?) when we drafted Roy Williams. Its getting blurry though. Perhaps Millen’s only good move?
Edit: Just checked - Apr 24, 2004 : Lions traded 2004 1st round pick (6th overall, Kellen Winslow) to Browns for 2004 1st round pick (7th overall, Roy Williams) and 2004 2nd round pick (37th overall, Teddy Lehman)

1 Like

They traded down with KC from No. 15 to No. 17.

KC got 2-time Pro Bowler OT Branden Albert and No. 76 overall.

Lions got 0-time Pro Bowler OT Gosder Cherilus, Nos. 66 (turned into RB Kevin Smith at No. 64 overall after trading up with Miami for No. 176 overall–when they could’ve taken Jamaal Charles without trading up) and 136 overall (WR Kenneth Moore).

I can give you 4 reasons why teams probably aren’t interested in trading up:

1. CJ Stroud
  2. Bryce Young
  3. Tyler Van Dyke
  4. Will Levis

All of whom are (or will be perceived as) better prospects than anyone in the current QB class.

1 Like

This is why our chances are so low. Jax maybe has a 10-20% chance, IMHO.
Sure, Hutch would be ok, but thats a different subject.

1 Like

I completely forgot about Joey.

Good Lord we are all Lionized in one way or another

Funny thing is, the Lions could’ve traded down that year from No. 3 to No. 8 overall (and saved a ton of salary cap money in the process). Dallas apparently offered a 3d Rd pick to move up for Jammer and Millen said (probably based upon the JJ trade chart), no.

Im sure Millen thought that dropping to 8 would cost thrm Joey…when in fact the next QB taken was 100 picks later atv108 (David Garrard)

Other guys picked at 8-12? Bryant McKinnie, The other Roy Williams, Joh Henderson and Dwight Freeney.

doctor conan obrien GIF by Team Coco

I see even when they traded down they have made the wrong picks.

1 Like

He did, but the only other team that reportedly had any interest in Harrington was Cincinnati, who picked No. 10 overall, had a history of not trading up, and had Jon Kitna as their starter with Gus Frerotte and Akili Smith as backups.

I don’t think Roy was a bust. Got decent early production and then a 1 and a 3 for him.

4 Likes

Add Brennan Armstrong from Virginia.

Armstrong was 145 passing yards away from breaking the Atlantic Coast Conference record for single-season passing yards, held by Clemson’s Deshaun Watson with 4,593 passing yards in 2016. There is little doubt Armstrong would have surpassed that record had the Fenway Bowl been played.

2 Likes