Trade for a safety?

Not sure who or what, but what would be your thoughts on going to the trade market to fill the glaring hole at SS?

I think it’s a good idea to always have 3 safeties that you can play whenever you need them. We currently have 2, and one is coming off of an achillies tear.

So far Brad has shown he doesn’t like to be backed into a corner and forced to draft a specific position, so it makes sense to me that we’ll look to add a safety before the draft either through free agency or trade.

A trade to me is likely to give us a better player, and I’m all for getting better players.

I feel like signing a John Johnson is also very much in the realm of possibility.

I prefer drafting JL Skinner in rd 3…

I understand the BH not having to be forced to draft one, but that’s my preference at this point.

1 Like

We have already spent a shit ton more money than we had to spend in FA. I doubt we are trading for anyone at this point. We have leveraged the future some and back loaded contracts… any more of significance would be negligent imo

1 Like

It’s only $10-15m, which isn’t a serious amount. Every team backloads contracts to some extent, if anything it’s negligent not to, because with the cap growing every year the amount you borrow from the future is a smaller % of the future cap than it is of the current cap, and when the future comes along you can always borrow more again.

Example

Year 1 - cap $100m - push $5m to year 2 - spend is $105m (100 + 5)

Year 2 - cap $110m - push $10m to year 3 - spend is $115m (110 + 10 - 5 from year 1)

Year 3 - cap $120m - push $15m to year 4 - spend is $125m (120 + 15 - 10)

Year 4 - cap $130m - push $20m to year 5 - spend is $135m (130 + 20 - 15)

And so on. Every year you get to spend $5m more than the cap, even with the cost of covering the money you pushed from the previous year. The bill never comes due because there’s always a bigger future cap to borrow from.

Where it becomes a problem is if you are consistently borrowing more than the amount that the cap increases by, which is what the Saints, Rams and Eagles have done for the last few years, and what the Browns are going to have to do with Watson’s contract. Holmes is very much in the safe zone right now.

1 Like

Walker and Joseph are the safeties. I’m not sure if it’s going to be a target on draft day unless the want to go with 3 on the field.

2 Likes

He may not have to. I think both Sutton and Moseley have experience playing safety to some degree. If that’s the case then one or the other can play the position in certain packages. Sutton rotates to the second high safety and okudah or jacobs replaces him on the outside. You’d have Mosley, okudah and jacobs at corner with Walker, Joseph and Sutton in the safety roles.

There’s always the possibility of drafting a corner and moving jacobs or okudah back to safety. Or maybe they think iffy can actually contribute. Who really knows? We’ll all find out in training camp.

2 Likes

Seems like we can get Skinner on day 3. Tore his pectoral at the wrong time and had a lot of detractors to start.

I was think the other day the bears should have stayed put with their salary cap space. Taken the beating this year and then rolled that $100m to next year. They’d never have to worry about the cap again. Lol

1 Like

We have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds. 4 of those in the first 2 rounds.
We have to use them.
Money doesn’t grow on trees and even if it did, with the cap, you can only spend so much.
We have 12 DB’s, already signed.

1 Like

They could have trades both Fields and the first overall and use that cap space for a Lamar offer that BAL couldn’t match.

I’m glad that they did not.

I’m sure hunter & trapper would really appreciate that…but mostly processor would appreciate it. Feels like a good fit in the progression

1 Like

I highly doubt Brad trades for a safety. Have faith in the man, he crushed late round safeties for the Rams for years. He’s got a knack for that specific spot. A lot of other spots too, but that one for real.

3 Likes

I really want a downhill thumper to add to the roster like Elliott.

Usually in these cases they’ll find one in FA but also might draft one. I don’t see a ton of good options in the draft for this type. The safety for us tends to need to be able to play two deep well too unless he is a nickel type.

1 Like

They played a lot of 4-2-5 with 3 safetys last year

2 Likes

I am with you on Skinner but not sure if he is ready by season start giving the slow recovery process the team takes. I am not sure the severity of his pec tear. Could be good to go or could be out first two months.

1 Like

Yeah - it is going to be interesting to see how much he falls if any.

Either Skinner lost a bunch of weight with the injury or he has always been skinny. At the combine they mentioned that him weighing in at 206 at 6’4" would be a turn off for evaluators

1 Like

If they put an offensive line in front of fields it’s basically going to be just like playing Lamar. Only fields is younger and healthier.

Yes they do!! Came up in their press conferences. Good to have dudes that can play multiple positions because injuries are going to happen.

…an d much more handsome