Trading down and acquiring extra draft picks is actually really stupid

The difference for Bill is he’s always picking later in the draft.

Every draft has just a handful of guaranteed differences makers in it. If you can trade down and still get one then do it. But you should always take the difference maker.

Now if your trading down from 20 - 29 then your better off doing that and use the picks to give you more opportunities to hit on the pick.

I honestly think that we might be able to convince someone to move up to #1 this year and we could move down a few spots and still get a difference maker. I am all for that. I’m not in favor of trading down too far.

This draft is loaded with quality players but it is lacking the true difference maker types.

I want a difference maker and as many of those quality players as possible.

There is no such thing.

I’m going to sound like a UM slappie and I am, but the more I see of Aidan Hutchinson the more I’d like to seem him in a Lions uni. Thibs has been the consensus#1 pick forever and while he has all world altheticism, Hutchinson seems to have an impact on every play.

3 Likes

Yknow who else had world class athleticism?

Boss Bailey.

1 Like

And the bloodlines, lol

1 Like

I would always take the football player over the athlete if the players are close in rating.

However that’s not what I’m talking about.

There’s a handful of difference makers in every draft. Those picks that have as close to a guarantee as you can get.

When drafting 1OA and QB isn’t really an option. If you can take a trade down and still get a difference maker then you should do it. M

As for Hutch. I would love to have the guy. But in the scheme of 1OA picks worthy of of a 1OA. This draft doesn’t have one. So I’d be willing to take a small trade down.

Also let me add that HOU is probably drafting the top QB. I bet they reach. If Holmes is smart he starts the smokes screens in hope he can convince HOU to move up one spot and he can still get Hutch if that’s who they want.

1 Like

I don’t think there’s any question that Houston moves Watson for a boatload of picks from some team, that happens to be in Eastern Pennsylvania, and holds multiple first round picks. I like this idea.

Fleece the ever living bejeezers out of them if you can. If Holmes can roll Houston and still get the best talent in the draft, heck yes.

Not to mention if anyone is stupid enough to fall for it I’d bet it’s HOU …. lol

I hope Holmes is paying close attention to what Houston is doing and who they like.

NFL teams that have made three or more first-round picks in one draft

NFL teams that have made three or more first-round picks in one draft | Yardbarker

How many picks total do the Lions have in the upcoming draft?
If Holmes and co. can do a good job of evaluating talent, this roster has enough holes that he should come out of it smelling like a rose.
There should be a lot of room to make the team.
I’m not holding my breath, but the stench is getting to me.

Yes, all picks are inexperienced. That’s what he was saying. You have kids coming in who don’t know their nose from their ass, so they take more time and energy from the coaching staff and teammates to get into the groove of things. That’s time and energy taken away from other things. So it makes logical sense to limit the number of greenhorn’s you have in a single class. Trading down to bring twice as many rookies at the same time damages your ability to actually coach the team…the entire team as a whole.

To me that has always made logical sense, but it also explains why teams who have traded down to get 15+ picks in the same draft have ended up with an entire draft class that fails…rather than the other theory of throwing more darts so you get more hits.

1 Like

I mean…

3 Likes

For me I guess i would have to see what’s being offered in the trade. You give me 2 picks in top 10-15 of the draft for the first pick I might be interested. It also depends what the draft looks like. If a guy like Payton Manning is coming out I’m not trading the pick. I guess I can see both sides of it.

If jets are asking for both their 1st round picks you wouldn’t do it? Hutch is great, but you can nail a top wr and Hamilton.

1 Like

Hell yes I would.
I don’t think there’s a WR worth taking in the top 10 but give me Karlaftis and Hamilton and then a WR at pick 23 (or wherever the Rams pick ends-up).
Karlaftis, Hamilton, and Burks…i’d be doing cartwheels!

In the end, it’s all about getting the right players.

Guys have already listed all the top draft players that flamed-out for us. And if you want to trade top picks for experienced guys like the Rams, well we have a list of those guys that never worked-out for us too.
At the end of the day, you have to do whatever you can to get the guys that you think will succeed. You can have 1 pick in the whole draft (Ricky Williams) or 12 picks, if you don’t get the right guys, it’s not going to matter.

Remember when Millen had 3 2nd-round picks and blew ALL of them?

3 Likes

1 Like

1 Like

2 Likes

Drew Stanton
Ikaika Allama-francis
Gerald Alexander

2 Likes