Tyrell Crosby's name floating as a trade target

Here we go some just live for draft so more picks the better the draft an screw the team depth.

I hope we can sign him but sure as hell don’t want to let him go now.

I could care less if he signs with another team ,we have 10 picks why are we going to screw up depth this season for a day 3 pick. In the year 2023
That year we have likely 8 already 2 firsts.
I would like him on a 3 years deal at 6 mil if we can get him to sign.

Some of you would rather pay a mid round pick an screw up 2021 season .
He fills for this season a major need after this season Nelson maybe ready to be swing OT .
Just remember the guy in article couldn’t tell you about Lion roster just likely heard or read article from some blog an made a story.

Keep him if he gets a big deal we likely would get a pick even if we sign UFA’s They managed this season an draft so why screw up roster makes no sense .

3 Likes

I agree 'yote. No reason to erode a position group that is a strength to add a day 3 pick in a draft where you have solid draft capital already.

That said, if really depends on what is coming back. I do make the move for a serviceable safety. Considering the current state of the team, I would suggest that there may be no one that is “untouchable.”. But this report makes it sounds like we are actively shopping him.

2 Likes

For sure. We seen him use restraint this year partly due to the talent, but also the dollars. Next year, though, when the money is there and the likes of Golladay and Marvin are not, he’ll not really have any comp picks to ponder. That’s just the result of taking over a team in the shape ours was in. Later, when he’s stocked the roster with talent, he’ll be able to reap the rewards in the way Baltimore, Cincinnati, Dallas and Seattle do.

I thought Denver might be in the trade market, but they just signed two veteran OTs Bobby Massie and Cameron Fleming.

The more I think about this, the sillier it sounds. And you are still left with trying to replace Crosby’s roster spot for the 2021 season.

A 5th round magic bean isn’t worth it.

7 Likes

I agree some of the posters would bury the team just to get a draft pick…I understand thats there season but thinking like some do here is just not wise an its like watching past 20 years repeat over an over.

The good teams get comp pick cus they have talent depth or like Lions this year had many UFA’s that other than two were not high ticket players an Cap money for most teams was short supply so Lion players got signed . We cleaned house on players who just wanted the money an screw the team performance.

They are gone a Crosby will help as a vet an also help with few young players coming in from his school. With him we might just help a young player like are 7th rd feel comfortable an help the team.

We don’t need more picks an what your looking at is a 2023 pick an we have 2 first that draft already. I would like to sign Crosby back on team but maybe he wants bigger pay day an has earmed it so lets see what happens.

The more he makes the higher the comp an it would take same type contract to cancel so lets keep what we have a solid rotation OT who is young an this season not expensive.

Maybe if V doesn’t work out at OG we can cut him an sign Crosby new year new ideas.

1 Like

As everyone acknowledges, he has value to the team, no doubt. And that he’s familiar with Sewell via Oregon is additional value. There is a very strong case to be made for keeping him here.

That said, we will be outbid for his services next year. We will not earn comp picks for the 2023 draft by his departure. The team is about to inherit a sizeable purse to use on talent. (ETA: this may not be as much as I had thought)

If you want him here for a year with no compensation when he departs, that’s fine. But recognize that that’s the bottom line. If the team is getting calls, they have to listen, especially considering the depth of the upcoming draft.

4 Likes

You can literally trade down 10 or so spots in the 5th round and pick up an additional 5th rounder. I would only consider trading Crosby if there was serious compensation involved. Not the peanuts that teams throw around like nothing (aka 5th round and lower).

3 Likes

That is what I’m talking about Wes. Crosby is great depth. A viable starter for a desperate team. He isn’t going to start here. But I am not giving him away to maybe make the team better in 2022.

If a team wants a young player like Crosby now (which gives them an advantage to signing him to a long term deal if they want) they are going to have to pay us a price worth letting a talented depth player walk. If a team LOVES Crosby like we loved Vaitai that helps us in the comp. pick department for 2023.

So a team needs to make an offer worth it for us to trade him as Crosby is likely a starter somewhere else in 2022 but his contract at that point would help us in 2023 vis comp. pick. A team needs to make a better deal now if they want to move to the head of the line to sign Crosby as a free agent in 2022. That is why I think a player deal makes sense. Like Curious Husker notes above. There are lots of options out there and no day three draft pick excited me more as Crosby is likely a comp. pick factor in 2023 if we let him walk in 2022.

1 Like

When thinking about comp picks, you can’t view a single player in a vacuum. It’s not like he’s the only person player that may leave next year. His offsetting someone may be what allows them to get some kind of a comp pick.

I just don’t see the value in trading away depth, especially right now, for a day 3 pick. Not sold on Vaitai either. That combo leads me to wanting him here.

Crosby should only be traded if we are getting another player of equal or better ability in return. All well and good getting additional day three picks but we have a roster with zero depth. Whatever proven depth on the o line we have disappears with him leaving

We could look at the roster a year ago and peg who were likely to earn a comp pick. This coming year, you’re looking at Crosby, Hand and Walker. Maybe Perriman and Nick Williams. The question is how active we’ll be (I’m expecting more active). I simply would not bank on getting a '23 comp pick for him, rather I think he’ll be offset by our own FA spending. I have zero issues keeping him around or even extending him.

1 Like

Ah Ok. Didn’t see that. Massie is pretty wretched. Not sure about Fleming but I think Crosby would be a big upgrade.

Fleming started 16 games for the Giants last year and has 42 career starts, so he’s got that going for him.

The Giants have had atrocious lines for a while of course.

It may eventually be a way of life but I don’t think that will start next offseason. We have 0 significant players with an expiring contract going into the 2022 offseason. At best we have the hopes of someone like Tyrell Williams or Breshad Perriman knocking it out of the park this year, in which case I’m not sure why we wouldn’t just go ahead and resign them instead of starting over.

Flip it to the other side and we have $42M in dead money that will be coming off the books for the 2022 offseason which is making things look like we might have $70M+ to spend. Then we start looking inward. Goff is already “paid.” We just paid Ragnow. We’ve already paid Decker. We could extend Hock and Walker. Its too early to extend Okudah, Sewell, Swift. J Okwara and Jackson (literally by NFL rules).

So you are faced with a situation where you are either going to sit on a buttload of cash or bring in a couple of guys.

1 Like

They got rid of The Turnstile, Ereck Flowers, awhile ago. In 2020, they had former 2020 1st Rd pick & No. 4 overall, Andrew Thomas at LT, former 2018 2d Rd pick & No. 34 overall Will Hernandez at LG, and Kevin Zeitler at RG in 2019-2020 with 2020 5th Rd pick OG Shane Lemieux waiting in the wings, so there were pieces there.

Obviously, the Giants wanted to upgrade RT and let Fleming go after one season. Zeitler was let go in a salary cap move.

When’s the last time that was ever typed in a Lions forum?

Why not move the $10.5M oft-injured guard we have? Clear cap space, keep our good swing tackle. We got no one reliable to replace Crosby.

No one is going to want to take on that contract.

Personally I would rather keep Crosby for 1 year than get a 5th round pick unless they are really high on Matt Nelson.