Tyrell Crosby's name floating as a trade target

If they could trade Crosby to fill a need elsewhere, like safety, then I can somewhat understand that move but for a 5th-6th round pick? I don’t get it. He’s a serviceable if not good backup tackle, plus he and Penei are buddies. Seems odd but, trust in Holmes (can’t believe I’m saying that about a Lions GM).

Yeah, downgrading at arguably the most important reserve position on the team for a mid day 3 pick seems unwise. Maybe a 4th bug in general I agree with you that if they trade Crosby it should be to plug a bigger hole this year.

Not a fan of trading him, but have to see what’s waiting in the wings.

Maybe a one year deal for a veteran like

with the idea that if Decker’s hurt, Sewell slides over to LT and you have an experienced RT backup.

I wonder if Crosby asked or a trade and the Lions are honoring it or at least going through the motions. Knowing he was not going to be a starter, Crosby wants a shot a starting somewhere else this year, heading into the last year of his contract. I believe they might see Vaitai as their 3rd OT anyway, if they’re going to a more run-based, quick-pass offense. Don’t know if any of that is true or not, but it makes more sense cuz I don’t think Crosby brings much in trade compensation right now.

It may be that Crosby stays here for awhile until somebody loses an OT to injury and his value goes up, or of course if we need him then he ain’t going anywhere. But I’m not seeing anybody offering anything or anybody decent right now. Assuming the Lions are not in the hunt around the trade deadline, they might ship Crosby out then.

Right…

I was thinking we would let Vaitai go after this year and see if Crosby fit in at RG, playing next to Sewell

1 Like

The new staff likes Matt Nelson, but I wouldn’t move Crosby unless it’s for another player OR a 3rd round pick in 2023.

1 Like

Nothing more than a wild guess, but would make sense if the Lions/Crosby trade speculation was tied to this:

Just guessing but I think what they’d do if Taylor Decker went down is swing Penei to LT and put Nelson at RT. I think Skipper swung to LT in the past.

I believe this is the thought by our FO.

The scrutiny in this forum has been odd of late. We hired Holmes, Spielman, DC to fix this thing.

So far we got a younger QB with more accolades, a vet leader at DT and 2 firsts and a 3rd rd pick for a 33 year old QB who asked to leave and a 7th.

We filled a few roster spots in free agency, but mostly avoided overpaying with long term assets until we’ve assessed much of our roster.

AO? Walker? Harris? Hand? J Okwara? Cephus?

We then crushed the draft, strengthened both lines and added a freakish athlete at CB and a reliable slot WR and LB in the draft.

We are so headline starved we’ve been debating a backup swing tackle trade and cutting a RB who averaged sub 3.7 ypc the last 2 years.

I want Swift to get 260 carries, J Williams to get 100 carries and RB3 to get 60!!! Kerryon making 1.5M to struggle through 60 carries adds nothing long term.

Crosby filling in for an injured Sewell or Decker, and being slightly better than Nelson means what? Aren’t we hoping for a star struck 10 win season or a 3-14 type year with our youth playing and a top 1-2 pick next year?

1 Like

I agree no need to trade him . For a 5th .he could possibly be needed during season.

I feel like part of the mission should be protecting the health of Goff, and Swift. Especially Goff, this year. My personal opinion is that Croz is part of that.

2 Likes

The only way this makes any sense is if Farley think Nelson is better than Crosby and the Lions are trying to get an asset for someone with no long term future for the organization

They said they like Matt Nelson.

First time on this forum. Hope I’m doing this right. Crosby - I would like to see them sign him now to a three year deal. Having him on the depth chart for three more years and committing to the run, which will make Goff a much better QB, could make this a quick rebuild. Since the best defense is an offense that controls the ball and keeps the opposing offense off the field, the Lions could then use the draft capital they’ve built on their defense.

5 Likes

Welcome!

Welcome to the board @Edlove1958

Welcome, broseph! Agree w/you on Croz! Hope we can reasonably retain him. Sounds like he can back up 2 positions, maybe 4.

I agree Ed. The question is what kind of contract will Crosby sign? If he wants to start somewhere that requires starters $.

I think teams would see him as an excellent swing option and an okay starter meaning it is likely another team would outbid us unless we strike now and get an extension done.

With this news of a possible trade I see it as unlikely Crosby would re-sign here in 2022. He can start in this league. I like Crosby a lot but if I was betting I don’t think he is a Lion in 2022. So…do we keep him for great depth for a year or do we try to get value for him? To me I keep him for 2021 unless a team blows me away. I am not giving away quality, experienced depth.

Great first post!

1 Like

Welcome, Love!

Us vets know all’s about the postings, I’m already on #4 and have been posting for a whole 9 hours so pretty much an SME at this point. I guess we’re in the same post class. :wink:

I agree, we got a really good 5th round pick and obviously that doesn’t happen much. Really good is Servicable backup across positions and it’s a plus he knows our new Penei and Penei seems to say good things.

A 5th round pick doesn’t make sense to me then, I say we try to keep him, could do better as a comp and if we trade we get something better like a good player who wants a reworked deal. I suppose if we want those trusted, true magic beans we want shinyer ones than a 5th, I’d say no less than 3rd because comp may get us that. Servicable tackles seem to do well in FA.

San Dimas Football Rules!

4 Likes