Tyrell Williams waived

So, tell if I’m wrong here….

Williams gets hit and is concussed …. So badly, he is now waved ….,

But many here are acting like this unforeseeable event was actually prophetically written into his contract thus making it the GMs fault?

Did I miss something

7 Likes

Tyrell gets a brain injury… and “LOL” is what comes to mind?

Parks And Recreation Reaction GIF

If there’s a feasible way to clear the cap room, I say make it happen. Better than watching us sign the next practice squad scrode from BFE State. So what if he walks at the end of the year? Maybe we, in effect, just purchased another 3rd round comp pick?

@DeadStroke and doesn’t waiving Williams get us about a million closer in cap space?

1 Like

We’ll Never Forget You Terrell !

1 Like

No any adjustment for Williams’ salary from the injury settlement will be a year end adjustment to 2022’s salary cap.

2 Likes

Veterans don’t have to clear waivers

He has full control over where he goes. He’s a FA.

You can’t because he’s a veteran.

DeSean also can’t be claimed because he is a veteran. He has full control to sign with whomever he chooses.

Any player cut with more than 4 years in the NFL does not have to clear waivers. They immediately become a free agent and are free to negotiate a new contract with whomever they choose and for whatever amount they are willing to play for.

You can’t do this either. A player claimed off waivers has two be on your active roster for two weeks and that puts you past the trade deadline.

1 Like

What people should realize is that OBJ won’t go to a team like Detroit without there being some decent amount of guaranteed money in it for him. It will probably take a multi year deal.

I just don’t see OBJ wanting to come here unless we opened up the pocket book and I can’t see is doing that.

3 Likes

They do after the trade deadline through the end of the season.

1 Like

Not just Williams.

Perriman.

Hodge.

Ignoring biggest position of weakness until the 4th round.

Trading multiple picks for a WR who does nothing.

Not a good look for Holmes in this area at this point.

1 Like

DJ and OBJ are different guys. I will just leave it at that.

Remember in the off season when people were trying to argue these guys were going to be better then Golladay and Jones?

First rule of fight club: never put any stock into the sunshine and rainbows posts from the kool aid drinkers.

3 Likes

He did go through waivers, all 31 teams passed, see below.

https://sports.yahoo.com/desean-jackson-clears-waivers-204926949.html

loll im saying it’s not like Brad Holmes could have predicted this injury.

4 Likes

I was excited to see what Tyrell Williams could do here. He dude has talent. The fact he has a severe brain injury suffered in 2021 has nothing to do with what was known when we signed him. I don’t know why we are cutting him now. What advantages do the Lions gain by releasing him now?

My guess is this in an injury thing.

1 Like

Yea the timing is a bit weird. Missed 2 months with a concussion and then release him during the bye week. I read they gave him an injury settlement, whatever that means. Maybe it frees up a few bucks on the salary cap, not really sure.

I don’t remember anyone saying anything close to that.

The most optimistic view was that both Perriman and Williams had talent, and that they were cheap, low-risk signings with real upside.

The only real debate was whether the Lions had the worst or second-worst WR corps prior to the draft.

2 Likes

Need to know the details to be sure how much relief they will get.

Injury settlements are all about the length of time a player would be expected to miss due to tje injury. If the Lions believed Tyrell could pass a physical right now… it is likely that the Lions negotiated to pay him only a week or a few weeks. Let’s assume it pays him thru 10 games, which means the Lions would get credit for 7/17 of his salary back against the cap.

Also… I had initially wondered if this would have an effect on the comp pick situation for Lions… but I think the Lions will be signing more players this offseason than they lose as UFA… so that is likely not a concern here.

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone actually argued that. There certainly were some buying into the duo as a not a huge drop-off, but nobody was bold enough to suggest we improved the WR position.

1 Like

Yeah, doesn’t make sense at all, does it ? Even with his outsized ego taken into account, it’s self-sabotaging behavior that would make an agent suicidal .

Not buyin’, personally.That spin was a parting gift from McVay, imo; they are old WFT buddies. I think the Rams wanted him gone & didn’t want to embarrass him. Better to be pitched as a guy who wanted to be more involved but there was a logjam of talent ahead of him than washed up or selfish.

Probably didn’t hurt that it made him look better to possible trade partners.
…Not that I think Holmbell could have handled the Collins situation better or anything…hehe…

McVay seems to have a soft spot for munchkin players. He was one himself & I think his “Rosebud” is that he has the brain & heart of a star NFL QB, not the body. Hence the apparent mancrushes on guys like Wolford, JoJo Natson, Tutu, and Peanut Jackson that are hard to justify in football terms.

Yikes, any more armchair Freud & I’ll have to shave my head…

It’ll be interesting to see if Ty Will pops up somewhere else this season. Part of an injury settlement is the time agreed upon by both sides during which the player is ineligible to sign elsewhere, if I understand it correctly ?

If he does, I’m thinking his lingering symptoms might have been a business decision, more than medical, kinda like Ramsey’s back before the trade from Jax.

I think the Lions leadership are simply staying with who they are now and it’s a trend: they care about the long term health if the players as much as they do about winning…

Imho TW was told “we love you but will not risk your health after this last concussion. Good luck in life”!

Now TW is free to make his own choice regarding his future…

1 Like