UGA star DL Carter won't work out at combine

How do you guys feel about this?

1 Like

Good for him. He’s not getting drafted to run drills, he’s getting drafted to play football. He should be evaluated by how he plays football and how he interviews which he is still doing.

Now with him personally, the combine can only hurt him if he doesn’t do well. I don’t mind him not doing it.

2 Likes

I think he’s lazy and this doesn’t help detract from that opinion.

7 Likes

It won’t change his draft status even if he doesn’t work out at his pro day.

It would with me, I just take it as another sign of laziness. Too lazy to train for the combine it appears. I mean that is really lazy.

1 Like

I am okay with it in a general sense. Many of the best prospects didn’t work out at the combine 20 years ago. It was interesting to me when the top prospects started opting back in to do the combine workouts. They used to cheat the system back in the day. So guys that were seen as a little light would put on weight for combine measurements but then wouldn’t workout. Then they strip the weight down for the workouts at the pro day. The info we would get reported would be the combine measurements with the pro day workout results.

2 Likes

He’s not the first highly rated draft prospect to not work out at the combine and won’t be the last. I don’t see it as lazy more about weighing the positives and negatives of doing so, I suspect his agents are saying more risk than positive to do so.

He will work out at the UGA pro day so it isn’t like he isn’t working out, just making a business decision.

2 Likes

It’s ok with me , because maybe it pushes him down just a tad bit.
Little Bit Size GIF by Travis

4 Likes

The more i hear about this guy the more bust feelings i am gettIng. From college production, the talent he played with, and this decision.

1 Like

Do you feel the same about Bryce Young who’s also not working out at the combine?

2 Likes

Most of these guys have a pro day! I’d imagine he’s just going to work out there. The Georgia pro day is basically more important than the combine anyways. They had 15 players drafted last year, which is just wild.

I think it’s a bit of a red flag tbh. A guy who’s questioned for his work ethic declines to participate in the biggest physical grind of draft season. This won’t do anything to quell those concerns.

Maybe he got a promise from a team in the top 3 and doesn’t want to hurt his draft stock by performing poorly at the combine OR he’s intentionally tanking his value so that he falls to 6 :wink:

3 Likes

Personally I don’t think it means anything. Roughly a million superstars in the NFL worked out at their pro days instead of the combine.

I don’t think it means much but for a guy with work ethic concerns, you’d figure that he would show up at the big competition to start the process of proving skeptics wrong. Not a big deal either way but I think it’s worth noting.

I can’t really blame him for only wanting to do one workout for scouts after seeing what happened to ojabo last year. Ojabo was a fluke but it’s still a scary possibility. I wouldn’t want to fall out of the top 5.

2 Likes

Bryce hasn’t shown laziness in everything he does, so no I would expect he has other reasons that he thinks are valid for his decision.

That will be accomplished (or not) in the interviews. Whether he works out at the combine or his pro day won’t affect it IMO.

1 Like

I think this laziness narrative is way overplayed. He’s just not a fiery dude and it gets taken as laziness. He played roughly the same amount of snaps Walker, Wyatt and Davis did last year (see image). That’s just how Georgia does it, they rotate like crazy. This year he played 308 snaps but missed three games and was limited in two more which comes out to about 47% of the snaps.

For comparison Nolan Smith, an athletically-gifted edge player, played 188 snaps in 8 games, which comes out to about 36% of snaps. But no one gives him a hard time about being lazy.

And as for any off-field rumors, well…

1 Like

Good read…

" Then in the last few days there have been multiple reports that some teams will not be sending their coaching staffs to the combine this year. Green Bay, for example, has opted to keep its coaches home from the combine, although G.M. Brian Gutekunst and a full contingent of Packers’ scouts and other personnel staff will be in Indianapolis this week. The feeling seems to be that there just isn’t enough of value for coaches to see at the combine given that everything there is taped or documented in some fashion, while the players are now so prepared by their agents that their interviews are pretty much canned."

1 Like

Carter is a guy who has been talked up a lot but looks lazy on the field, put up very underwhelming stats, and now he won’t even show up for the combine. I think best case with him, you’re getting Suh after he got paid by Miami. Where he just coasted through the rest of his career at half throttle. No dog in that guy. And that’s pretty sad for a Georgia guy to have no dog.

2 Likes