UGA star DL Carter won't work out at combine

With Dean, his falling was due to long term issues with his knee compounded by positional value, IIRC.

Yeahā€¦ I wasnā€™t really making a point about Deanā€¦
but just pointing out that Socko really took shots at players that didnā€™t work out last year, is taking a shot at Jalen Carter nowā€¦ and then made an excuse for his man-crush (Bryce Young) when @Thats2 questioned him about Bryce skipping the combine workout.

1 Like

I have made no excuse for Bryce. I said itā€™s likely not tied to laziness. Which I stand by. I think he should participate. Heā€™s very athletic. Iā€™d like to see what he can do.

1 Like

Which reminds me: Iā€™ve characterized a sequence of decisions I made after learning I had Covid as inconsistent, while a more objective observer might characterize them as hypocritical. I am officially a bad human until I can figure my way around thatā€¦ :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

1 Like

And I would bet a lot of money that Carter skipping the combine isnā€™t tied to laziness either.

1 Like

I know that. Youā€™re still doing the same drills at the combine. The point being I understand only wanting to do those drills once.

1 Like

There are few people who could benefit from a combine more than Carter. Bryce won a Heisman. Carter has 6 sacks over 3 seasons. Come to it in amazing shape, blow the doors off of it. Grab hold of the number 1 pick. Thatā€™s not him though.

2 Likes

I see your point! But he could still do all that on March 15th @ Georgiaā€™s pro day

3 Likes

To me its only a red flag if he ditches the pro day workout as well. Thatā€™s what Tibby Dough did. Skipped shit at the combine with a promise to make up for it at the pro day, then bailed after a few reps at the pro day. It was weird.

1 Like

I suppose this is true. Iā€™ve never really got the whole Pro Day thing. Iā€™d personally want to show up everyone at the combine if I was that kind of athlete. And hanging out with other dudes is always fun. But yeah whatever works for you. Personally, Iā€™d probably do the weight lifting at the Pro Day but everything else at the combine.

The pro day is alot more of a hands on experience where NFL teams have more say in the process. There are more coaches standing close and paying attention as well. The pro day was always about showing scouts what you could do, while the combine was originally put together just for a central hub for the medical evaluations.

The drills at the combine were more about ā€œoh hey, while we have you hereā€¦ā€

Yeah, but same track surface, versus different track surface, same conditions, Iā€™m an engineer I value every little thing that makes the testing more accurate. Plus, I like trash talking.

Wowā€¦times have change since I was in College 25 years ago.

My freshman year as baseball player (on scholarship), the upperclassmen would come to our dorm and take our food cards for the cafeteria. Go eat a meal on my dollarā€¦then come back to our room and take the largest pinch of dip from our tobacco (1/2 the can!!!).

To seal the dealā€¦one would go into our bathroom and take a massive dump and not flush the toilet.

We were treated like peasants as freshmen. It was not a fun year for all 12 of us in that class.

1 Like

Hey at least it was in the toilet, it could have been an ā€œUpper Decker ā€

Carter is often projected as the #1 overall pick. How can he benefit?

Yeah, Iā€™ve kind-of cooled on Carter.
But then I watch this and maybe Iā€™m back on the bandwagon. LOL

2 Likes

Yeah thatā€™s ok I was on then off then on then started doubting a bit and then back on. I like his skill and fit for this team. And every board I see has him top 3 they all canā€™t be wrong can they ?

1 Like

Watch that video and explain to me the lack of stats, I donā€™t get it?!?!
Supposedly Devonta Wyatt was going to be the next great thing but because of all the studs at UGA, he didnā€™t get the statsā€¦well, 1.5 sacks last year and 15 Total Tackles. Jordan Davis, 0 sacks 18 Total Tackles.
Maybe JC is way better than those two, idkā€¦and maybe those two get better after a season or two under their belt. I just donā€™t want another Nick Fairley, ya know what I mean.

1 Like

Nick Fairley had 11.5 sacks his final year at Auburn.

1 Like

Yeah, he was unstoppable and a big reason they won the National Championship that year.
Is Jalen Carter a better prospect than Fairley was coming out?