Ugly Ugly Games

The Eagles were favored by anywhere from 4-7 points. Lions were better on this day (less mistakes).

1 Like

I don’t mean to put too slappy of a spin on it, but those drops were contested passes. Sometimes it’s the sticky defense that breaks the concentration. We’re not talking stone-handed Durham drops, we seen several of them certain the defender got a hand on it. Only during replay do you see the ball got through untouched. Those passes are defended, not just simple drops.

2 Likes

I agree with that. If you put yourself in the shoes of the WR, you don’t just call them “drops”.

Interesting question: Are the Lions lucking into ways to win? Is it luck when a Lions receiver drops the ball? Or a Lions ball carrier fumbles the ball or commits a penalty? And I’m pretty sure it ain’t luck when Stafford makes a poor throw or a bad decision and gets picked.

It ain’t bad luck when you lose, it’s bad performances. It’s mistakes. Sometimes the other team screws up more than the Lions. That ain’t getting lucky, that’s playing better than they did, an sometimes that means we sucked less than they did.

3 Likes

In both the AZ game and the Philly game. We were literally one dropped ball away from losing.

In AZ, the DB dropped the pick 6/gimme FG. And you saw that last drop by Philly.

Winning a coin toss is a matter of luck. It’s hard for me to conclude we were “better” than the other team when it was a c-nt hair difference that we won.

I agree.
Sometimes the name of the game is to make less mistakes than the opponents.
A team that wins the turnover battle usually has a very good chance to win the game.

1 Like

When the Lions drop fewer balls, that’s playing better.

When the Lions turn it over fewer times, that’s playing better.

When the Lions score more points, that’s playing better.

5 Likes

From what i seen only jackson and jefferies were the only ones not playing. They had there starting defense in, and we still put up 27 points. They still racked up a ton of yards. I dont think just because a TD came off a kick return its a “free TD”.

There star TE still played. They did have a bad game with drops but it all were catchable.

When the ball bounces in our favor more, that’s being luckier.

You think the ball bounced more in favor of the Lions? I didn’t think so, and there some bad calls by the refs on both sides. That game was not decided by luck, Philly effed up more than we did and that’s why they lost and we won.

When it’s as close as it was, yes. The bounce off that WRs hands was the game.

I’m not upset we won. I’m glad we did. But I feel more relieved than anything.

Driver, Wise is correct, so don’t keep arguing for arguments sake.

1 Like

Spot on

But That doesn’t work for the people that are not happy unless they can bitch about the Lions

Of which there are many.

2 Likes

Dude, the WR didn’t make the catch, it’s as simple as that and sure as hell isn’t a bad bounce.

Sure, you’re relieved, so am I. But the Lions did not win cuz they got lucky. They kept their stuff together, instead of folding. They fought like hell and denied the Eagles a score at the end. IOW, they earned a win.

4 Likes

Ok, you tell yourself that if if makes you feel better.

And you can tell yourself they just got lucky if it makes you feel better.

3 Likes

A bit of luck
The Lions played better than the Eagles
or the Eagles played worse than the Lions

I get the point that the Lions didn’t play that well, but that’s football.

1 Like

Ouch…

I think one could make a pretty good argument that winning in today’s NFL really is about making fewer mistakes than your opponent.

If you don’t turn the ball over and don’t commit stupid penalties, you have a better than 50/50 chance of notching a win.

So, in essence, you really do win most games by simply not sucking as bad as the opponent.

3 Likes

We played well enough to win!

1 Like