Ugly Ugly Games

A road win against 2018 playoff team is a nice thing, no matter how it happens.

2018 Chargers were a playoff team as well.

Let’s keep our streak going and beat KC and then division lead on the line against GB.

4 Likes

Ugly win for sure… But should be 3 ugly wins! Lol

We’ve shown flashes on offense, defense and ST. We just haven’t come close to putting a complete game together yet. Most teams are in this same boat but we’ve separated ourselves by winning a couple of them and we’re lucky to not lose the first one.

Hopefully we start to get things going soon with GB coming up after the bye… A surprise win vs KC sure would be great!

1 Like

I really think this team is built for ugly football. We don’t have the OL to run the ball, right now. Bevell is proving to be by far our biggest offseason acquisition.

Some will argue that the OL kept Matt clean. I say it was Bevell. Rolling away from pressure, mostly quick developing plays, lots of use of extra TEs and RBs in protection. If we ever put a line together, then maybe we can open the playbook up more. Given what we have, I think Bevell did a great job of being creative with the horses he has.

As for luck…Were they lucky that Slay went down? Were they lucky that a total B.S. call against Flowers for roughing was called, that kept a drive alive, giving them points? Were they lucky that Hand went out of the game early, or that Daniels got hurt? Were they lucky that Golliday stepped out of bounds on a relatively easy catch for him, that also killed a drive at a critical time of the tame?

Ridiculous thread.

We are being built for defensive slug-outs. That’s ugly football. That’s what we do. We will continue to get better and better at it.

4 Likes

Why is it WE ARE LUCKY to win cuz other teams played like crap? Why isn’t it THEY ARE LUCKY we played like crap otherwise we would had blown them out.

2 Likes

That’s absolutely true. But the reality is at the end of the day a win is a win. This Lions team is still not good enough to dominate a playoff team on the road that is one year removed from winning a Superbowl and not only winning it but beating the greatest Dynasty the NFL has seen in the Patriots in that Super Bowl. The Eagles still had far more of their starters and more weapons and more depth by far than the Lions did last year when so many of our fans were screaming no excuse for their poor play down the stretch last year. still lots and lots of work to do that’s clear. However the majority of the doomsayers had this team 1 + 5 and their first six games. That obviously is not going to happen even if they drop the next 3 in a row.

1 Like

The next 3 games is going to define the Lions season IMO. Their opponents for the next 3 games currently have a 8-1 record.

2 Likes

WOW!

I literally think all 4 teams in our division have a great chance to win it all. This race will clearly be decided by division games.

I think we’ll beat GB, with 2 weeks to prep.
I think we will beat the Vikes at home, as well.
KC…uhhh…we’d better get our poop in a group for that one.

the 6 division games are going to be much bigger than usual, this year, unless Mack or a QB goes down. I expect mostly tough, ugly games.

1 Like

Unfortunately right now, how I see it, if the defense does not get better at stopping the run, and if we do not run the ball better ourselves, I think we end up in 3rd or 4th place in the division.

Not lucky to win too… But ‘lucky’ to not have lost the first one after blowing it.

And the only loss among the three teams is by virtue of one of the three losing to one of the other 2 or more specifically the Vikings lost to the Packers. Otherwise the three of them are undefeated against all other opponents. But a glimmer of hope is so are the Lions! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Let’s see what Daniels injury is.
I really think they will get better at it.
I feel like Snacks played better today. I feel like Flowers is improving, and that Danieals still has a fair amount of stepping up he can do.
Couple that with Hand and Bryant getting healthy, along with Tavai getting more experience.

I think we will get better in defending the run.

2 Likes

I’m not entirely convinced we get better at running. If we do, it’s likely because play action works better because we pass better. Our OL is not conducive to big games running the football.

Tavai is going to be really good. Playing as a rookie, he’s doing a great job. Really, it wouldn’t be realistic to ask for better (than he’s shown so far).

3 Likes

I don’t think a fan can’t both be appreciative the Lions won and at the same time be dismayed at all the mistakes, missed opportunities and poor play

You think the coaches aren’t hyper focusing on those all week? It’s not going to be ice cream and cake for them next practice. Patricia and the coaches are going to talk about the blown coverages, the missed throws, the whiffed blocks…

They will most likely spend more time focusing on the blocked field goal than the kickoff TD return.

So yes fans can, and probably should ‘bitch’ about some issues - even after a win. While still appreciating and being happy overall about the W

4 Likes

Yup - agreed. Nice pick by Quinn. Also, Maybin appears to be coming along nicely. I’m not entirely convinced he’s not better than Jones (certainly more range and better in coverage).

Damn, that Koolaid has a kick this year!

2 Likes

Completely agree. I’m ready to fire the ST coach. Unacceptable.

That said, there is a big difference between guys that are legitimately talking football, and those who flame-bait. Some of these dudes are coming here for a fight. Nothing but inflammatory remarks. That’s dishonest. I love honest talk with folks who disagree. It gets old and boring when people say the same thing over and over and just look for ways to get attention.

3 Likes

No doubt! Stafford did throw some bad passes, one of which, if he hit Marv in stride, rather than make Marv dive for it, would have been 6 points.
That was ugly, no doubt about it. Overall, Matt played a good game. Nobody’s perfect.

2 Likes

For those excited about the ugly win, I am right there with you. I have seen decades of the Lions losing games like the last 3.

For those that are this team as lucky with major execution issues, I am there as well. We have not looked particularly good, but barely good enough to win.

But this team isn’t there yet. It is still growing and improving. We are not a playoff team yet. We don’t look like one and we don’t execute like one. However, I will happily take a 2-0-1 start and look for the improvements that will make this team compete for the post season. The first quarter of the season has shaped up nicely regardless of week four’s result. KC is a monster and is a true contender this year. I want to see how we stack up against them.

4 Likes

I think I know what play you are talking about and I’m okay with where he put the ball. He got the chunk play and the 1st down. If he tries to hit Marvin in stride to get a bigger result, you bring the safety into play and possibly get the ball knocked away or intercepted. Where it ended up neither the corner nor the safety had a chance to make a play at all.