Ugly Ugly Games

I think your right, Wes. Lots of plays you can see Matt directing our guys away from big collisions, when from certain camera angles it doesn’t look like a good toss.

Every team is a work in progress this time of year. We did some very nice things and we have some areas to improve on. We are competitive as we just beat two teams that many people predicted to be in the SB. I am always embarrassed that too many Lions Fans look for the negatives and don’t see the positives. We lost Slay, Daniels, had Hockenson step out of the end zone, another pass stripped in the end zone and one horrific PI not called when he was held on a route in the end zone. Golladay stepped out on a big play and couldn’t come up with a couple big plays downfield that could have finished it early. Stafford avoided several sacks and we didn’t turn the ball over at all. KC will be a very tough game and we will have to play a better game offensively to win, but hopefully our game plan will take that into account.

3 Likes

Check it out at 1:24 of the slowlights. If Stafford leads Marvin more it’s not only a TD but it is would be less likely that the S could catch up. A better throw would keep Marvin moving away from the safety not toward him

Nice chunk play for sure. But still a better throw is a TD. Now to be fair to Matt, there was a defender coming in at the line with his hands up, so he may not have followed through on the throw

2 Likes

I like that we win ulgy.

2 Likes

Beats losing ugly. I would rather see the Lions playing their best ball in December (plus T’Day) than September. Got things to fix and get better at, but still won. I’ll take it.

2 Likes

Beats losing pretty

3 Likes

Look at it this way… If I had to told you before the season that the Lions would have beaten the Chargers and Eagles with little to no running game, a defensive line (supposedly the team strength) that has been a complete non factor in the running and passing game and tight ends (another team strength) that were pretty much invisible, you would have thought I was crazy. I could also throw in the poor Special Teams in the first two weeks.

Long story short, they are 2-0-1 largely without the contribution of a chunk of their best players so there’s plenty of room for growth with this team. I take that as a good sign going forward.

2 Likes

Is Ulgy now a substitute for Ugly?

Yet we still scored a TD on that drive

Read your memos!

Iggy just may be pooping himself, with a division of teams that poop themselves.

at best, i’m seeing caldwell ball with too small a sample size but with actually better running backs, TEs and slightly better OC.

at worst i’m questioning mgt / personnel’s ability to evaluate and acquire talent with an organization’s resources after spending all that money on the DL and getting little in return. that’s not a good look at this point bc those are resources you expect to get the most from.

on the positive you take the wins in the nfl when you can. they’re generating TOs on D which is huge, as someone pointed out, similar to when austin was here.

but 3 games in, i see the very same sloppy, hot and cold team which still can’t play 4 qtrs of solid football in any one game and find ways to dominate games when they should. there’s still no killer instinct to finish games early when you can. that doesn’t bode well for playoff success.

they should feel good about the record. still 13 games to go though to either get better or reveal who they really are.

1 Like

while I think KC is going to beat us, it wouldn’t surprise me if it was close. Remember when belechik said he figured out the rams offense because of what patricia did in the regular season? I think he’s going to have a decent game plan to keep KC from scoring more than 35 :smile: but they just have too many horses.

I can tell you as a QB many times it is the angle the WR takes that makes the pass look off target. On that particular play it is possible a perfect throw does lead to a TD, but as a QB you take the chunk with a safer throw. Throwing the ball out front was a tougher window and increases the odds it gets broken up. Quality Offense is moving the ball successfully down the field. There are many times a QB can see a perfect pass could go, but opting for the safer completion is the right play.

If you had some concrete examples of Stafford hitting WR’s in stride your comments would resonate more. We all watch the games, we know what he does and doesn’t do, it was a fair observation.

1 Like

Are you saying there aren’t examples of Stafford hitting receivers in stride?

I think throwing the ball out front would have not only been a TD but it would have been an easier catch for the WR. Also there was plenty of room

Look Stafford made some really nice throws that game. Including the TD pass later that drive. But that one I’m sure he would be the first to admit he’d like to have back

He hits them low and away and he hits them in jump ball situations. With as many years in the league as he has had his “in stride” and also “touch” passes but they are few and far between. They are certainly not the norm.

1 Like

I am a Stafford fan! He can do better and he needs to if he wants a ring.
Out of pure selfishness, I want to see my Lions win a damn Super Bowl!
I’m not beating Matt up. We need him to take the next step, and I know he can! If I thought he was playing his best game I’d be pitching a fit

1 Like

Against the Eagles I saw Wentz hit some of his receivers running all out with beautiful throws in stride. Too bad they dropped them.

Stafford can create stuff by throwing high and fast but guys need to jump way up to grab them, or dive, or stop and dive back the way they were coming from or back towards Stafford. Those throws happen all the time.

Stafford hit some guys in stride and they ran in for big TDs but thats not normal for him or offense.

For years with Calvin he was jumping, diving, sliding, jumping back the way he came from. Hitting him in stride with touch passes so Calvin could keep running wasn’t common. On 247 the big thing talk, when would Calvin get hurt from those bad throws that exposed him to such monster hits.

1 Like