Vaki needs more touches

I would think that’s fine too. A little on the high side but it’s not crazy. Now 475 is crazy…

1 Like

Hopefully Vaki earned some trust today.

6 Likes

Something like that. Mainly would prefer to avoid 29 carry games.

20 is fine but he’s getting burned up.

Hopefully we can blow out some teams and have a couple 10-12 carry games.

4 Likes

Vaki most definitely earned more snaps… This might not help though but Gibbs and Vaki on the field together I like a lot

1 Like

FWIW I thought Saylors looked dynamic on those kick returns. He also impressed in preseason. I’d be all for him getting a few touches here and there as well. No knock on Vaki - I like him in pass protection especially - but I think Saylors feels closer to Gibbs Lite

6 Likes

Yea Saylors helped us a ton today. There was a reason AG was kicking touchbacks the last 2 kicks

I was one of Saylors biggest critics but he did look good on a few returns. I actually would like to see what he can do.

1 Like

I didn’t get a chance to watch the game today as we had all the grandkids hosted at a giant orchards/farm/amusement area for a birthday party which is fantastic. I did see the lions got stuffed on 4th and one around the 50 in the fourth quarter with Vaki running the ball. So what happened on that play did he get stuffed or did the line get some back

1 Like

Dan mentioned Vaki giving them more size. I’d like to see some Saylors carries too but I think they like the complimentary element that Vaki brings.

1 Like

I think this was an audition and I think Vaki oasssd. I would love to see us get Gibbs one week with less touches and that next week against Carolina could be a good opportunity.

2 Likes

Absolutely and I get that. No disagreement on this aspect. That’s why I mentioned Saylors being Gibbs Lite. Not even Saylors taking Vakis time as much as even if he took 3 of Gibbs carries per game throughout the season to keep him a bit fresher I’d be for trying that out now. Saylors looked good.

Damn dude he’s my favorite player too and he might carry us to a Super Bowl…. But you’re taking this a bit far

Hot Tub Love GIF

2 Likes

He has looked quicker to me all offseason as well.

Whatever the combination is, we do need to do something to get Gibbs’ carries down.

2 Likes

He didn’t have much of a chance

I hope DC stops those middle runs on the long 4th an 1s. That was almost 4th and 2. Seems like they only work about 25% of the time

2 Likes

Given how agile that Sewell is and how well our receivers block I’m surprised on 4th and short we don’t run more stretch plays to the left tackle side. With Gibbs I mean I wouldn’t do that with Vaki.

Or even a toss play because you know the Defenders are looking and gearing up for a middle run and you get just that Split Second of being able to either cut them or wall them off

2 Likes

Vaki has been good every time he’s gotten the opportunity.

Unfortunately, he’s been injured playing Special Teams.

2 Likes

It’s because of:

Signing an unreliable backup to our star RB after moving on from an absolute stud.

Releasing a stud (in our system) Anzalone with the coverage skills Kelvin’s system demands.

Stacking the LB depth chart with downhill players. No one particularly good at rush or coverage.

Not stacking the safety depth chart with enough talent to go big nickel given the limitations of the LB corps.

Not stacking CB depth given availability concerns of 2024’s picks.

It puts me in mind if Quinn’s sabotage of Caldwell, demanding something better despite his own failures.

We have never won the conference, by the way.

1 Like

I like that comp. I see a little Allgeier in there too.

If we choose to feed the rock to Vaki and Teslaa the next two weeks, it will soften coverage even more on Jamo and Laporta- if we then feature them a bit more, it will lighten up coverage and the box for Ra and Gibbs.

I think our offense has been very solid for a new OC and some OL injuries so far, but we’ve forced too many looks and touches to Gibbs and Ra.

All we did we give Isaac and Vaki a chance and they proved capable of what we drated them to be.

2 Likes

I mean we got a bye sooooo we had to win it that season