Wade Phillips is now available. Kick the tires?

With Jim Schwartz’ players. If not… uh hard pass.

I think it would be a great move. But unfortunately I think it’s more likely that we get the towel boy from the Patriots, than we do an established defensive mind not off the Patriot tree or a former Patrica “mentor” from RPI or Syracuse. Patricia stepped outside his sphere with the Bevell hire, but I think he was ok with an offensive guy being able to handle the whole offensive program and if rumors are accurate it was Bevell that reached out to the Lions first. More like an “oh, that will work” than “look what I did.” On defense, I think he’s going to want a yes man. Problem is, who is going to sign up for that? Jerrod Mayo who’s probably on the fast track for bigger things? I’d love that, but I just don’t think Patricia has the ability to recruit a guy like that. Who knows, but the Pats have been out of it for a couple days now. Tick tock.

1 Like

There’s better talent here right now than when Austin coached them before. What is it that makes you think Austin couldn’t couldn’t do it, and what does Jim Schwartz have to do with it?

Austin’s first season with the Lions was 2014. They had only their first offseason to bring in “their” players. MOST of the roster on offense and defense had been built by Schwartz. That is what Schwartz had to do with it. The further the Defense got away from Schwartz players and closer to what Caldwell/Austin wanted, the worse they got.

Year / Defensive Rankings Points per Game / Yards per Game

2014 / 3rd / 2nd
2015 / 23rd / 18th
2016 / 13th / 18th
2017 / 21st / 27th

1 Like

Yep, quality at Dline and CB. good mix for a defense.

Turnovers kept us in games, how many did we have in Austins last year? How did we rank? How have we done since then?

Tied for 4th on INTs which was great. My point still stands however and no I still don’t want him. Coaching DB’s like he is now? Sure, he’s always been good at that. DC which he hasn’t been since leaving the Lions, no.

actually Austin was hired as defensive coordinator for the Bengals in 2018. however he was fired after just nine games and more specifically after a three-game stretch that the Bengals first NFL team in the Super Bowl era to give up over 500 yards in 3 consecutive games

https://amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000987470/article/bengals-fire-dc-teryl-austin-after-loss-to-saints?networkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%3Dstory&zoneKeys=s1%3Dstory&env&pageKeyValues=prtnr%3Daround-the-league%3Bteam%3Dcin%3Bteam%3Ddet%3Bconf%3Dafc%3Bconf%3Dnfc%3Bdvsn%3Dacn%3Bdvsn%3Dncn%3Bplyr%3Ddrew_brees%3Bplyr%3Dmark_ingram%3Bplyr%3Dmichael_thomas&p.ct=Around+the+NFL&p.adsm=true&p.tcm=%23fff&p.bgc1m=%230964bf&p.bgc2m=%23053a74&sr=amp

You are correct sir, my bad.

No problem kind sir. I am in agreement with you as to no teryl Austin as defensive coordinator and I think the article further supports some of the reasons :slight_smile:

There are 3 reasons why we won under Caldwell. Stafford, he brought us back how many x in the 4th quarter? Turnovers, not int’s, turnovers which includes fumbles. The reason why you pass on Taylor from Wisconsin? Anyone watch the bowl game, he has a history of fumbles and they targeted him. How did that work out? Uh, fumble recovered by the D. The D had less talent than we have now. Last, we had if not the best close to it special teams in the league. No matter what happens on D we need to get the best available special teams coach in the game because we will win close games if we win field position. We hired the worst one for last season and guess what? Austin did fine here, I would take him over fat boy right now.

Its amazing the mental gymnastics people use to shit on Caldwell and Austin as a coach.

They took that defense and objectively and measurablely made them better than they ever were under Schwartz.

The best Lions defensive player in a generation walks due to cap mismanagement and that gets framed as "closer what they wanted’

Not one got damn time have I read that Bevell was gifted a good offense by Caldwell despite them being 8th in points per game the year Caldwell got fired.

This years offense with Stafford healthy STILL didn’t put up the points per game Caldwell’s did in 2017 for a whole season with Ameer Abdullah as the starting running back and yall are ready to fellate Darell Bevell.

4 Likes

Yep #1 Legit Corner and DT’s that could not penetrate were what Austin had left after SUH and Fairly were gone …Quinn did nothing to bring in the players needed to run Austins Defense . The blue print was available , the proof was in the pudding . A certain skill set needed to run Austins Defense was not on the table for a Defensive CO under a HC in Caldwell that was not wanted by Quinn and only a place card for Patricia

1 Like

Well part of the problem was by design and that’s part of our point. TA refused to blitz LB’s. So they go out and pour a ton into an aging Ngata. They replace Fairley with cheap sub par talent next to him. So it was highly predictable when you are a front four rush only team, that when 3/4ths of that line can’t rush, you are going to be in trouble. People are somehow forgetting this.

We needed penetrators and they got Ngata who was from the same team TA was from. So yeah, perhaps TA was “saddled” with a huge run stuffing NT and told to make it work. But I’m skeptical. I think it was a blind spot and one ironically Patricia is suffering from right now. But MP blitzes his LB’s and Safeties a lot more. We just suck at getting home.

Austins job was to keep it close, period. We were 9-7 because he did his job. We were behind playing catch up in almost every game that we won. This season we lead in what, 14 out of 16 games and lost 12 of them, 2 of them to GB who never led during either game. Caldwell ran a vanilla O designed to protect the ball and keep it close into the 4th and hope that Stafford could close the deal, which he did over and over. We have better talent right now then we had then, period.

How about we kick the tires on Jeff Fisher.

I actually don’t want the lions to hire a defensive coordinator.

I say roll with Patricia as dc, hire a great assistant head coach (i really liked the Callahan suggestion from someone the other day… maybe it was iggy? Can’t recall), and give bevell full control of the offense. Hire a special teams coach next and the lions are set.

1 Like

Rod Marinelli also available

If you like the guy, that’s great. I loved him for one year. Then I just saw some things I didn’t think were going to work. He didn’t stick here, he didn’t stick in Cincy and he’s a DB coach right now. I mean, I thought he was a great human being and I think he can coach positions well. I don’t think his scheme is effective when he gets to run it. The NFL at large, is tending to agree with me right now and I’ll bet dollars to doughnuts he’ll be a position coach in 2020, not a DC.

So whats your point? He didn’t “stick” here because no one did. My point was he did more with less talent than we have right now and that I would take him because he represents an upgrade over what we have had with Patricia. Why is that so hard to comprehend?

1 Like