Walker now #1?

Regardless of how the actual power chart is written, I think both Brad and Dan have a “dude, I trust you” thing going on between them. If Brad thinks a particular player is a turd, Dan will trust Brad’s instincts. If Dan thinks a particular player is a turd, Brad will trust Dan’s instincts. I honestly think that is 60% of the battle. However, that also means that if Brad falls in love with Mitch Trubisky the way the Bears GM did, Dan would sign off on it because “dude, I trust you.”

4 Likes

After watching them working together in last years draft…. And how it’s turned out so far….I have no issues with the lions structure.

6 Likes

Watching an interview with John McClain from the Houston Chronicle right now and he says if Hutch goes #1 we will take Walker. Talked about how Mario Williams wasn’t on anyone’s radar until his combine.

Wouldn’t shock me if Lions select Thibs even-though Hutch available

3 Likes

I feel like Dan and Brad trust each other fully, but I don’t doubt for a second that if they disagree, Chris Spielman makes the final decision. He was the guy out there with Brad and Dan talking to Thibodeaux.

3 Likes

I agree totally. I think what Brad and Dan and Chris (the three main cogs) have going could be very special. There must be a hierarchy if needed, but they all strike me as having a high degree of integrity and humility. If problems ever develop between them, it’ll happen because of a breakdown in integrity. That’s usually what causes organizational problems, if they arise. As long as they listen to each other and communicate effectively, things should remain promising.

4 Likes

I think Spielman would fall in love with Huth. Very similar type of players. Hardworking, all busy. Does Hutch have flaws, absolutely but he will work hard and he will be productive assuming he’s injury free???

3 Likes

That’s not even close to being accurate.

1 Like

At first overall?

February 19th, 2006… before the combine.
He wasn’t projected at #1… but was called a freak athlete before the combine took place a week later.

“Wasn’t on anyone’s radar” and projected to be 1st overall are two different things to me.

As a Lions fan, I have heard the terms upside & potential to believe these are just fairy tales. Hutchinson is a no brainer for the Lions, he is the best player in the draft. He has the production and he is a elite athlete since he posted the 3rd highest RAS score.

2 Likes

The reality is that it wasn’t until the combine that they pulled the trigger. Every year people say that the “underwear Olympics” doesn’t change a thing, that the players have already been scouted and nothing really changes. Well, it does, and it does all the way to the top. It did for Mario and it may for Walker…

They were still far from convinced though. Well until the combine.

They knew Williams was a powerhouse, but were concerned that he took plays off, lacked aggression, and wasn’t athletic enough.

Then they watched a 291-pound, 6’7’’ athlete, run a 4.65 forty (only marginally slower than Brian Urlacher’s combine time), bench press 35 times, and put in one of the all-time great combine sessions.

They were sold.

2 Likes

Yes it is, so “being on anyone’s radar at #1” is the correction. Is that still a problem?

that’s fair…. I think Mario was on EVERYONE’S radar for the top 5 picks…. but Young-Bush was cleary the first thing on most minds. :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

To add to this; D’Brickashaw Ferguson was a name amongst the top guys.

Walker reminds me of Rashan Gary. Will he be better? Maybe, the upside is there.

1 Like

That is a great mock to find…what a terrible awful rotten job whiever wrote that did. Just awful top to bottom.

I remember I was firmly in Camp Mike Huff that year., but some other names there…Gabe Watson, AJ Hawk…

Wow.what a terrible first round overall. Just brutal, no HOF and not many guys that were worth a crap overall.

1 Like

Gary really started to come on around week 7 or so

2 Likes

Dan is one of them.

Here is Dan discussing it.

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1366790532417155072?s=20&t=I3yyUq1mXZujGkl7taSXYQ

2 Likes