Wanted to delve into the Parsons Character stuff myself

It’s weird.

In (2016) Micah Parsons was suspended after a classmate posted a racial slur on an Instagram post. Parson called the classmate out for it , in the school cafeteria…it was then that Parson’s was suspended “for starting a riot.” unfounded and zero charges. 3 days later, he transferred schools.

B. During a recruiting trip at Ohio State ( A member of the media) tweeted an article noting that -then- HC Urban Meyer would not be making a QB change from JT Barrett. Parsons responded on twitter saying “he would make the change in favor of Dwayne Haskins.” Many did not like that or Parson’s response because HE was still a recruit. just sat wrong with certain people…

C. (2018) A Physical altercation between Parson’s and Isaiah Humphries occurred it ended when Humphries decided to pull a knife to try to keep Parsons from assaulting him . Humphries sued Penn State for not “stepping in.” No charges were ever filed , and the court rejected Humphries’ complaints due to “lack of merit .”

(2020) Micah Parsons and then -Panther’s LB Yetur-Gross-Matos were involved in a hazing , later , a lawsuit said these events happened…yet neither Gross-Matos or Parsons were EVER named/listed as defendants. much as I read today, seems Parson’s wasn’t going to get pushed around or have his name smeared then and anything done back then was never criminal, he was never charged, and never named as a defendant in any cases…I’ll wait and see what the NFL digs up further on it…IF anything.

1 Like

You forgot where he lined up to take reps at running back in high school when he was on the defense…

2 Likes

I have no issues with anything listed above. Those are not red flags or risks.

Been saying the same… kid has been involved in petty drama BS. Nothing I can see have “Character” concerns. Dude has an amazing work ethic and loves the game of football is is a competitor on the field. I would have no problems with Lions drafting him at 7

1 Like

It is very weird how people can’t get the facts straight.

Supposed suspension - Marc Bulger made this report. Parsons was 17 at the time. The HS has zero record of this report by the way. Zero record of it happening and zero record of Parsons being suspended. Bulger is going off a story told to him.

The rumor claims parson yelled gun in the HS cafeteria and was then suspended for it and forced to leave the school. Basically being expelled from school.

Parsons and his parents claim this story is false and that the real story is that there were racial slurs made towards Parsons in the school cafeteria, it almost turned into a fight and they transferred him out of the school on their own merit because of it.

Wouldn’t you think that if he was suspended and expelled from school there would be record of it?

I wouldn’t hold an almost fight against the kid. I had plenty of scuffles in HS. Kids are mean and moody.

This is just a rumor someone started to explain why he left his HS.

As for the Humphries BS. Let’s get this one straight to.

Humphries pulled a knife on several team mates and was expelled for it. (There we’re witnesses to this incident and none took his side of the story)

He was kicked out of school and off the football team…

Humphries claims he pulled the knife because he was being picked on by team mate Barber. (Not Parsons) He claimed he was being hazed and sexually harassed by Barber. He filed a hazing and sexual harassment suit against Penn State, the coach and Barber. (Not Parsons)

This started a series of 4 separate investigations one of those investigations was a federal investigation. These investigations were very serious. Humphries changed his story multiple times along the way and in one version of his story he claims multiple people took part in hazing. One of those people he claims hazed others was Parsons. No files or official accusations or official complaints, were ever made towards Parsons. Humphries case was tossed out of two courts by two separate judges. He has now appealed it.

Now let me ask you this. Which is more believable.

1. Humphries a guy who is suing for money after being kicked out of school for pulling a knife on his class mates.

Or

1. The 4 official investigations findings. Where they interviewed 100’s of players (past and present), coaches (past and present), class mates, witnesses, and have found no one to substantiate Humphries claims. The school, coach, players, 2 court judges, police and federal investigators all claim he is lying and they have found no one to back up his claims.

Who do you believe?

The twitter thing is a none story. That’s not a red flag.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I thought this was in a recruiting college situation not in HS.

In HS he played both DE and RB. He averaged 11 yards a carry as a RB.

My understanding of this story is it took place in a recruitment camp and he lined up as a RB to take reps on offense. Probably just a misunderstanding or maybe they actually wanted to see him line up there. Who knows.

I’m not even sure how this became a red flag.

All of these stories are reaches and very questionable stories. They’re all just unsubstantiated rumors and their weak stories too. To me it feels like someone is trying to get the kid to slide in the draft.

The funny part is on most fan websites no ones giving these stories much traction. But Lions media and Lions fans are…It’s odd.

Meanwhile there’s another guy in the draft who is expected to go in the top 4. He was in a car accident and got a DUI. You don’t hear a word about it in the media or on fan sites. Not a single word.

I would expect any team selecting a player in round one that they would do an extensive back ground check. Then weigh the odds in if the players is worth the risk.

Parsons coaches have stepped up to back-up Parsons saying these stories are BS and he was a model player for them. That he is a good kid and was never a problem.

I personally think Parsons is worth the risk.

5 Likes

I agree Air! To boot he is only 2 yrs in at LB. Sure I would liked to have seen him play this year but as a sophmore he put up numbers comparable to Devin White and Simmons who both were drafted in the top 10. This kid could be special once he further learns the position with proper coaching and training. He has speed, power, pass rush moves, can get skinny and bend… the talent is there- could be a cornerstone piece for this lions rebuild. And we all know how putrid our LB core was last yr.

1 Like

White and Simmons were both extremely raw coming out. I think people forget that. Parsons isn’t nearly as raw as those two were. I think his game (as a LBer anyway) is far more fundamentally sound.

I think he’s going to be a stud. Better than White or he at least has a higher ceiling than White. I honestly think he’s the best defensive player in the draft.

How do you pass on talent like that?

1 Like

Simple…you don’t. Parsons should be the pick unless Sewell falls

I’m reminded of Randy Moss when I think of these young kids with character issues.

Randy was a big time college prospect coming out of West Virginia and had a scholarship to play with Lou Holtz and the Fighting Irish.

Moss then lost the scholarship to Notre Dame after an assault charge dropped on him after beating up a class mate. The fight had racial undertones. It almost destroyed Randy’s future to get an education and play football. He ends up playing at a smaller MAC school in his home state, Marshall. And on to the NFL HOF in Canton…

Randy Moss was not perfect. None of us are. Judgement of ones past mistakes is only a small sample of character. Did this person lead a path of redemption? Did they overcome adversity or set-back? Point being, what Micha Parson’s has done AFTER the accusations must be part of his “character” equation also. Some of the strongest “character” is built on past failures or mistakes.

3 Likes

I think it’s spelled “witnesses.” Lol! Your autocorrect is racist.

Yeah it often has a mind of it’s own. I go back and re-read stuff I wrote and I’m like WTF happened there… thanks I’ll fix it.

2 Likes

Didn’t want you to get cancelled man.

Yep I am with you on this. Parsons should be the pick if he is there over anyone.

1 Like

I think your right my autocorrect doesn’t like the word witnesses for some reason. I changed it 3 times and it kept changing it back. What the… lol

Thanks

It’s trying to make sure you are appropriately woke and aware of your whiteness.

1 Like

I know mocks are mocks. But I just don’t see anywhere where Parsons is going 7 these days. Who knows who has who ranked as far as NFL boards, but everything I see says that Parsons at 7 would be a reach. I’m inclined to trade down, pick up a 2nd or 3rd and go from there. If we miss out on the versatility of Parsons, we will still be in position to get a BETTER version of ONE thing. Either the rush ability with a Rousseau or Ojulari, or coverage ability of a JOK. You’ll have the CB’s in play and I know some have too much Okudah at 3 butthurt to consider it, but I just don’t see AO as a reason to believe our starting 2 are set. We trade down a little, get a 3rd and still get Parsons, then that’s the ideal. I think it’s worth the risk to pass on Parsons at 7.

If I were 6’3" 245 with a 4.3 40 I might jump in and take RB reps too :joy:

He’s better than Simmons was coming out last year and a lot of Mocks had Simmons top 5. Some had the Lions taking him 3OA.

Personally I think the mocks are going to be off more than most years because of Covid and these guys having less access to teams.

I think CB’s and DE go higher than projected and I think we will see more CB’s in round one then we see projected too.

It wouldn’t shock me if Surtain goes to ATL or the Lions.

I don’t think Parsons gets out of the top 10 and I think he’s in play at 6OA on down.

1 Like

He seems like a great prospect, 4 seperate years of allegations for a person totally innocent in everyway, maybe his friends are a problem.

If he is comparable to Devin White, than I am all for taking him at 7, or wherever.

That is a high compliment. Devin White was dominant, and exactly the type of player the Lions need to begin to turn around the defense.

My question: what position in the 2021 draft has the biggest drop in talent from round one to round two … and what position has the smallest drop? It’s all probably opinion, but it may be an indicator of where we are going with the pick.