Wanted to delve into the Parsons Character stuff myself

Hes Devon White with superior pass rush skills and moves. He can get skinny and shed blocks. He’s a beast take him at 7 and don’t look back please detroit! We need a defender in the worst way:

According to Matt Lombardo at Victory Bell Rings, one exec already believes that Micah Parsons out of Penn State is a better prospect than Devin White. This is a high bar to meet, but we’ve all seen the NFL miss on its evaluation of Devin White before. Everyone heard for months that Devin White wasn’t even the best Devin in his draft class. We saw how that worked out.

I appreciate that is your take. Personally I think Simmons is a more fluid athlete and will be a better coverage player. He just lacks the size Parsons has to do a better job of mixing it up inside. But I wouldn’t have taken Simmons at 7 either. I just think you can get guys who are pass rushers to rush the passer and cover backers to cover. Versatility is great, but in the end, he isn’t a Rush OLB, he’s a versatile off ball LBer and you can get exceptional off ball LBers further down the board.

throw him in jail tha bastard!!

1 Like

I agree and couldn’t FIND anything either- my point. calm down bro , you and I are on the same page.

Wait, so a man that was recruited as a 5 star DE doesn’t know how to rush the passer? I be willing to bet if the lions were to play him as the BUCK he would get every bit of 10 sacks a year

Oh, if the Lions drafted him he would start in the middle from day 1

I loved Devin White that year and I believe Parsons is the better prospect. 4 quarterbacks going in the top 5 (most likely) is pushing him down the draft board. We are sitting at 7 with the opportunity of taking multiple prospects worthy of top 5 picks. I think that’s a great situation to be in.

Looking forward to the draft. Nobody knows what we are going to do with that first pick and I think that’s exciting. We really could go so many different ways.

3 Likes

Parsons definitely has the skills to be a pass rusher, especially on 3rd downs. He was an elite defensive end in high school. He’s only played linebacker for 2 seasons.

And when our pick in up, we will run to the podium five seconds in while is fan we’re thinking they’d take the full time allotted to determine the best pick at that time!!

Not disagreeing with other parts of your post, but a school district couldn’t release this information if it were true. It’s confidential.

1 Like

Assuming the Lions have done their due diligence, if there are no red flags I could easily see Parson as our pick at #7 if we aren’t able to trade back and the team considers him the #1 defensive player.

If we trade back and get Parson, all the better.

Parsons still has a lot of room to improve as a LB. He’s a great “see ball, get ball” type of LB but he isn’t instinctive at the position. Teams will exploit this until he learns the position. You can limit that exposure by using him as a 3-4 OLB. The rumor is that we will be running that as our “base” so Parsons definitely makes sense there.

This is redundant but I totally get it for those hoping to take him. We might as well be playing games of darts on this topic over a long night at the bar.
Where he gets drafted will be the litmus test and we’ll find out soon.

I think a more interesting question for people hoping he’s our selection AND devalue Pitts out of the top 10 for playing tight end; what’s the difference? Is it simply the presence of Hock? Our need at LB? Drop off in available talent? We’re talking about 2 highly projected “generational” prospects at positions of similar value, at least by NFL market standards.

I wouldn’t have taken Simmons at 7 either. He was pretty raw as a LBer and you don’t take a box safety that high.

I do think Simmons is better in coverage but that’s mainly what Simmons was asked to do in college. While Parsons was asked to get his face mask in there and make stuff happen in traffic. Parsons is way better (as a LBer) then White and Simmons were coming out and if your taking a guy that high it’s as a LBer or Edge guy.

1 Like

I’m calm … you know I like you as a poster.

I just think people are feeding into a media narrative and aren’t getting the actual facts straight that’s all.

This stuff is just weird to take seriously.

Meanwhile we’ve seen real character flaws on prospects in the past like domestic violence, drugs, arrests, theft etc and people never had an issue taking that player.

If I could get Warren Sapp, Dez Bryant and Randy Moss out of this draft then I’d take them. Wouldn’t you ?

[quote=“59to14, post:29, topic:9969”]
Not disagreeing with other parts of your post, but a school district couldn’t release this information if it were true. It’s confidential.
[/quote]m

Good point.

I assume that him, his Parents or agent released his records.

I know I had to release my child’s for her to get a scholarship.

I have no idea how that info was confirmed but it is reported that the school has no record of the incident or him being disciplined for it.

I’m one of those people and it’s several reasons for me.

Let me start by saying I like Pitts as a player. I do think he’s a stud receiving TE. I think he’s a rare talent but not a generational talent. I see him in the same category as Ebron and Fant so how can he be generational? I think that word is toss around too losely.

I have now watched every game he’s played and I think I have a good feel for who he is as a player, and what he can and can’t do. I see him as a receiving TE. He’s not a WR and won’t be used like one. He’s going to take a lot of snaps as a Y type TE or out of the slot. You never see teams take slot receivers top 10 for a reason.

There’s some things he does better than Fant and Ebron but there’s somethings he’s doesn’t. I actually think, that out of the 3, that he’s the least athletic. Meaning how he runs routes, his explosion out of breaks etc. He’s also the worst blocker of the 3. Ebron was a better blocker coming out than him. Let that sink in

I do think he will be used in a similar fashion to most receiving TE’s. I also have concerns about the concussions he’s taken.

I wouldn’t dream of drafting him as a WR. So his value is as a receiving TE and we already have one of those. So I see him as redundant. I feel that the Lions need an X receiver not a receiving TE.

Ebron went 10th and Fant went 20th. I’m not a fan of taking a TE in the top 10 to begin with but his value should be close to there’s. And I think Ebron was over drafted too.

I would take Chase, Smith and Waddle over him even if I didn’t have TJ but with TJ I’d take TE off my board completely. I think TE and RB are the two positions we need the least.

we are talking about Micah Parsons, not : Sapp, Dez Bryant, Moss, or anyone else. don’t see the …connection.

They were all labeled character risks pre draft and yet NFL teams took them anyway because they were too talented not to. Parsons is a far less character concern than the following players and every bit as talented.

Cam Newton stole a lap top. Was kicked out of Florida and was under investigation by the NCAA. He still went 1OA and has had a pretty good career.

Moss got in a fight and lost his Notre Dame scholarship. Went to FSU and was kicked out of there and Min still drafted him at 21OA.

Sapp failed multiple drug tests and still went 12OA

D. Bryant - violated NCAA rules and lost his final year of eligibility. He also lied to NCAA investigators. He still went 24OA.

Point being Parsons stuff is minor compared to these guys. I just don’t think it’s going to have much of an effect on his draft position or on his NFL career

If Campbell wants a knee cap biter then Parsons is his guy.

1 Like

Autocorrect knows snitches get stitches

Parsons a better prospect than Simmons?

Yeah. Ok.

Parsons won’t even be picked top 10. Bob Quinn isn’t around to severely overdraft someone this year.

Simmons won the Butkus the last season the two were on the field. He ran an actual 4.3…not a hand timed pro day one. He was considered the best coverage LB in decades. He did everything he was ever asked to…better than anyone.

Recency bias is a terrible drug. Stop taking it.

Simmons will be an all pro very soon.

Oh and his character is off the charts. Go check out his micd up.

Parsons abuses teammates off the field. Simmons abuses the opposing team…on the field.

Stop trying to talk yourselves into this pick. Dude is a trouble maker. There is a pattern here and it isn’t a good one.

Where there is smoke there is fire.

One of these times he isn’t going to get away with the crap he has in the past. That day will be a wakeup call for him and the team that takes him.

To downplay patterns like this is playing with fire.

That’s not what I said - Please reread my post history in this thread and maybe it will make more sense.

We disagreed last spring when I said Simmons wouldn’t go top 5 and you didn’t believe me.

We disagreed last spring… when I said to you and others that Simmons would struggle his rookie year if he’s asked to play LBer. You didn’t believe me … He did exactly what I said he would do. He got benched and struggled.

He was raw as a LBer and had a lot to work on.

Parsons is less raw and is far polished as a LBer than Simmons.

I think he’s the best defensive prospect in the class and is a top 10 talent all day. Could he fall out of the top 10?.. sure … it’s possible especially if 5 QB’s go in the top 10.

But I think he’s drafted top 10.

We will see soon enough.

1 Like