Wanted to delve into the Parsons Character stuff myself

No, we won’t. Soon enough would be tomorrow.

1 Like

Not saying he “can’t” do it. It just isn’t likely with us resigning Romeo to big bucks and having both Flowers and JOK that Parsons will be primarily a pass rusher for us. We could put him at SAM or JACK but where do you put Collins? I agree with you that he would start in the Middle day 1. But he won’t be getting 10 sacks from that spot. (Or spots in a 3-4). No one other than the die hard Parson fan boys are saying Parsons is worth 7OA. I just NEVER see it. I’m not saying mocks are in stone, but the top 10 guys are usually the same top 10 guys slotted in there somewhere and Parsons just isn’t in that conversation.

I see guys wanting to make him Devon White and I don’t think he is. People at the same time want to make him Von Miller and I don’t think he is. Doesn’t mean I think he sucks, I don’t, I take him in trade downs all the time. I just don’t think he’s the right pick for us at 7 because I don’t think he’s going to get the opportunity here to play a position where he racks up 10 sacks. I get that in today’s NFL coverbackers are important. But then again I think you can get guys who are better at “that” skillset than Parsons at a much lower cost.

1 Like

They had a multi part series of following the draft prospects around. In this case, it was Parsons, Pitts, Fields and Horn and you can see right away the big alpha personality he has. He seems fun but also a bit immature, like a big kid always wanting to have fun.

He has that type of personality that’s infectious but that could turn some people off because he’s always clowning around, taking over the conversations etc. It’ll be interesting to see how that translates to the interview process. I could see a lot of folks in the draft room being split on him because there’s always a group that prefers the more businesslike approach like Fields for example. Parsons is an interesting cat if nothing else.

I have a feeling that Campbell will really like the kid because of the big personality seeing Parsons as a vocal leader type. A defensive QB so to speak.

Sounds like Ebron.

A number of posters here seem to fall into this mind set that mock drafts are reality, they are not. Mock drafts are generated by fans. I view the journalists, analysts and media personalities as fans, they are as credentialed to manage a draft as you or I. I’ve seen Parson’s mocked as high as 6th and as low as 27th, Waddle as the first receiver off the board and later as the 4th. Read the Kiper draft yesterday, he had the Lions drafting a guy I haven’t heard of in the 2nd round (that’s BQ/MP idiocy). You can’t reference a mock draft as anything other speculation and fan opinion.

I love how passionate the threads become and traffic on this board increases every year around this time. For a Lions fan, it’s the Superbowl Baby! Where’s Jigga?

He does give off a bit of an Ebron vibe, on the surface.

OH! but the general overall take here was Simmon’s was not worth our drafting . Simmon or Bust.

literally, NOTHING has been found on or as criminal or abusive assaults on teammates by Micah Parsons at all thus far.

so do not label him a “trouble-maker” yet. let The NFL do a good investigation , then we’ll all be enlightened.

I’m not sure what NFL teams will find when 4 separate investigations found nothing to support Humphries claims.

They did? I think the overwhelming majority of evaluators had Devin White above Devin Bush. Quite possibly by a wide margin as well.

Bush was the more polished LBer and more NFL ready. White was raw and more of a project… that’s what he’s talking about I believe.

Parsons is less raw than White and not as Polished as Bush. I think he has the potential to be the best out of the 3.

I can see that but I don’t remember Bush being ahead of White on many rankings. I thought that’s what the post I quoted was insinuating but perhaps I misinterpreted it.

I remember the very early mocks all had Parsons as a top five pick and the consensus was that there was no way he would fall to us at seven

Then the character concerns had him dropping. Which all turned out to be bunk and now he’s not worth a top ten pick because of all sorts of nonsense from he doesn’t have good instincts to he can’t cover

Go and watch his highlight films and the Cotton bowl and tell me he can’t cover or rush the passer or show good instincts…

I’m just not seeing how an LB will affect this team in a better way than a top WR like Smith. Parsons is good, but is an LB worth that high of a pick? To me, the answer is no.

Curious- that portion you quoted was from the Article written that I posted and not my take on the Devins… I personally wanted Devin White to fall to lions that draft in the worst way however, wisely Tampa Bay scooped him up at 5. - Here is the entire article I initially posted. Again that was not my take or viewpoint - here is the entire quote:

According to Matt Lombardo at Victory Bell Rings, one exec already believes that Micah Parsons out of Penn State is a better prospect than Devin White. This is a high bar to meet, but we’ve all seen the NFL miss on its evaluation of Devin White before. Everyone heard for months that Devin White wasn’t even the best Devin in his draft class. We saw how that worked out.

Tell that to the Giants when they took Lawrence Taylor… I by no means am comparing Parsons to LT however the Lions need an identity on defense NOW… I think they can get a valuable receiver in rd 2 or 3- We need a game wrecker and someone who can get us off the field on 3rd down…our D was Putrid last yr

This WR class is DEEP I’d value Parsons and lets say- Bateman, Moore, Marshall, Fitzpatrick, Toney, Brown, Palmer… very deep WR class

1 Like

Agree-His upside is HUGE- Kid has an amazing work ethic as well! I just think he is too talented to pass up and fills a GINORMOUS need

Lawrence Taylor was a legitimate outside linebacker / edge defender.
We’re talking apples and oranges when bringing Taylor’s name into the mix.

Anthony Barr is an off-the-ball defender in the NFL who entered with a higher grade than Parsons and with his rush prowess being touted by the pundits. He has like 15 career sacks.

Here’s an interesting read (to me) while googling a few things this morning:

Sacks aren’t the end all be all… I’d take a 4 time pro bowler any day on the Lions LB core… Look at the Vikings D last yr. Notice who was out almost the whole yr… He is instrumental on the field not just for sacks-

This was the case when it was Mel Kiper. We are a long long way from that. LOTS of boards are created by guys who ACTUALLY created boards for NFL teams. So saying oh… it’s just 3rd and Wes… no it isn’t. It’s Casserly, it’s Pioli, it’s Brandt, it’s Brooks, it’s DJ. Not to mention ALL of the college coaches that network knows and the NFL staff members.

These were the top 15 picks last year:

1. QB Joe Burrow, Cincinnati Bengals: Signed . Burrow agreed to terms on his rookie contract July 28.
  2. DE Chase Young, Washington: Signed . Young signed his rookie contract July 23.
  3. CB Jeff Okudah, Detroit Lions: Signed. Okudah signed his rookie contract July 13.
  4. OT Andrew Thomas, New York Giants: Signed . Thomas agreed to terms on his rookie contract July 27.
  5. QB Tua Tagovailoa, Miami Dolphins: Signed. Tagovailoa signed his rookie contract May 11.
  6. QB Justin Herbert, Los Angeles Chargers: Signed . Herbert signed his rookie contract July 25.
  7. DT Derrick Brown, Carolina Panthers: Signed. Brown signed his rookie contract May 8.
  8. LB Isaiah Simmons, Arizona Cardinals: Signed . Simmons signed his rookie contract July 21.
  9. CB C.J. Henderson, Jacksonville Jaguars: Signed . Henderson signed his rookie contract July 16.
  10. OT Jedrick Wills, Cleveland Browns: Signed . Wills signed his rookie contract July 8.
  11. OT Mekhi Becton, New York Jets: Signed . Becton signed his rookie contract July 20.
  12. WR Henry Ruggs III, Las Vegas Raiders: Signed . Ruggs agreed to his rookie contract July 21.
  13. OT Tristan Wirfs, Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Signed . Wirfs agreed to his rookie contract July 21.
  14. DT Javon Kinlaw, San Francisco 49ers: Signed . Kinlaw signed his rookie contract June 26.
  15. WR Jerry Jeudy, Denver Broncos: Signed . Jeudy signed his rookie contract July 23.

What did the guys I mentioned above get wrong in the top 15 talent?? Look at what all those guys are saying today. Perhaps a few players in or out of that top 15 between all those former NFL Staff members, but where I see those guys putting Parsons matters. I absolutely acknowledge that after you get further down the board, the “mockster” accuracy greatly diminishes. But the above voices usually get it pretty right up top. Now Casserly on Feb 25th, had… Parsons to the Lions at 7!!! So there you go, he thinks he’s the best defensive player in the draft, and that carries a ton of weight with me. Brooks has Parsons at 15 and so does DJ. Big difference in that value and IMHO when Casserly’s later mocks come out we’ll if he still has him that high (he had Fields at 24 so…)

Gil Brandt has him Parsons as his 12OA player. It’s interesting, but bottom line is I think there may be a couple surprises in the top 10, but only a couple based on what we all are seeing in the mocks from the folks who’ve actually been in a room.

1 Like