Washington Commanders Denied Trademark

Fans would Desert Storm the field after a big win

2 Likes

If you all dont like the sentinels we can always do the chappelleā€™s (he is from DC) and watch people try and cancel them all over again.

1 Like

Washington Feds lol everybody would hate them.

The Federaliā€™s

ā€œThe Washington Warthogs was my personal favoriteā€ @Mr.Peabody that has a ring to it and fulfills the HOGS tradition

I still like Washington Snyders. Should be part of the requirement for sale

1 Like

Since when has an ownerā€™s group thought of the fanbase? I get it though, politics is definitely not something to take a lot of pride in.

My biggest problem with Wolves is thereā€™s a team in one of the four major American sports leagues who already uses it. Iā€™d rather have something original. Hogs/Warthogs is a better option to me for that reason, no other team uses it. And it has some history with the fanbase.

Yeah, itā€™s really a pretty terrible name if you think about it. Not a lot jazzy about Utah. But when they were the New Orleans Jazz it made a ton of sense.

Same thing with the Lakers, Grizzlies and Dodgers. All the lakes in LA are full of tar but when the team was in Minnesota it made sense. If thereā€™s a Grizzly in Memphis itā€™s either in a zoo or emaciated af, and Dodgers is literally short for trolley-dodgers, which is what the fans had to do to attend a game at old Ebbets Field.

I donā€™t love the Pelicans name but I donā€™t hate it either, itā€™s a name that can be traced back to 1865 with the original New Orleans Pelicans baseball team who was around for damn near 100 years before they folded (Shoeless Joe, Bob Lemon, Tony La Rossa and Earl Weaver played for them at one time or another).

(New Orleans Pelicans (baseball) - Wikipedia)

Also, a Pelican will ā– ā– ā– ā–  you up. Itā€™s one of the meanest damn birds around.

2 Likes

Definitely

For me the Texans takes that honor, it smacks of a name picked by a marketing firm. First they played on Texan pride in a blatant attempt to steal fans from the Cowboys, then they took the most popular sports logo in the state - the Longhorn - and twisted a little so they could call it new. Then they went red, white and blue to represent 'merica AND Texas. The whole thing was just so calculated, and the name sucks on top of that. Very little thought goes into naming a team after their state.

3 Likes

Seattle Seahawks
Washington Red Wolves

Has a similar flow to it

I agree couldnā€™t go wrong there with that name

2 Likes

Marshals would work as it is roughly the name of their founder and would align with a major us law enforcement agency

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a good one.

and they could play Eminem songs as theme musicā€¦

3 Likes

What if they did something like this, but with the Hogs name?

One thing I like about College Football is the weirdness of the mascots. Hogs isnā€™t even that weird, and could be made to look cool with a good design.

I love some of the more ā€˜out thereā€™ mascots in college. Like, Stanford is a Cardinal, but also a tree. Crimson Tide is like a deadly sea algae, but they use an elephant. South Carolina is a Gamecock. So weird. But they work! Iā€™d rather something INTERESTING rather than generic and bland (again).

Hire someone who actually cares about football and knows the team history and area. Then, they might get something that isnā€™t terribleā€¦

Maybe we can get another team named after a cat? Thereā€™s some tension amongst the cat bros right now (ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  Panthers), but it would break the tie between cat teams and bird teams. Right now each of us has four (Lions, Panthers, Bengals, Jags vs. Eagles, Cardinals, Falcons, Seahawks). Any good cats out there?

Cougars has been co-opted by horny old ladies. Leopards sounds too much like Lepers, Cheetahs sounds too much like Cheaters. Ocelots is too obscure, Lynx is a WNBA team, Pumas is the name of a shoe. Wildcats and Bobcats are generic af. Not a lot of good options. I guess Iā€™d go with Pumas, but it might come with a lot of legal ramifications.

They could have made a killing on apparelā€¦.

1 Like

I was disappointed to learn that the team was the Nippon-Ham Fighters and not the Nippon Ham-Fighters, but still they could call themselves the Virginia Ham Fighters.

4 Likes

I guarantee a marketing firm somewhere ruled out Hogs because: 1) a pig isnā€™t the image weā€™re going for, 2) itā€™s a euphemism for someone who eats too much and we think itā€™s better to be health conscious, 3) itā€™s a euphemism for monopolization and test studies showed young fans like to share, and 4) itā€™s a euphemism for a Harley and thatā€™s a culture that better fits with our division opponents in Dallas.

The more generic the name, the more apt it is to make it through the machinery of the PR process.

1 Like

Itā€™s historically accurateā€¦

3 Likes

Why did they not go with Red Tails in the first place?

Also, why am I not kicking out Commanders merch en masse right now?

Brb.

Always thought they should have renamed themselves the Engines.

1 Like

Willing to bet that Broken Lizard would allow Johnny Chimpo to be their mascot, for a price.

2 Likes

Washington Burglars or Crooks seems to have a nice fit.