We got better today!

Davenport > Okwara
Davis > Vildor

Simple, no?

About 50% of Brad’s gambles pay off and the other 50% don’t cost us much.

This is who he is. It’s obviously working.

13 Likes

Makes sense I agree

2 Likes

But we lost a starting level guard. Yep, retained Glasgow. Lost Jonah.

Overall net gain with a lot of great players out here still.

We also signed a starting level guard!!!

3 Likes

If we add say reader, add a rookie cb and a few offensive lineman. I could be happy with the roster, but i would prefer more obviously.

I also entirely expect us to being in multiple mid tier guys.

1 Like

That’s where I’ve landed, too.

I also think you have to factor Betts into the equation. We got an early start with him coming out of the CFL. So, it’s Betts+Davenport >> Okwara, Okwara, Harris.

Davis+Mosely >> Jacobs+Vildor.

All that said, they can still bring Vildor back, too.

1 Like

Vildor is serviceable when not tripping over himself.

1 Like

We also need to not lose track of what a steal that GG deal is in this market.

Damian Lewis just got over 13m per year despite being bad at football.

8 Likes

He is a very heady player.

1 Like

GG is likely the steal of day 1 free agency.

9 Likes

I could easily envision a Draft scenario, whereby,:

DET Trades their #29, to ARI for ARI’s #35 and #103 (4th Pick of the 4th Rd). Almost a perfectly balanced Trade, per Rich Hill’s Trade Value Chart. Holmes gets back a high 4th Rounder he covets… GOALPOST

3 Likes

Yup, he’s not $10 million a year worse than any of the big money guards. In facts he’s simply just not worse than any of them full stop.

5 Likes

I

If they don’t go for WR at #4, that could well happen. Would they pass on Marvin Harrison Jr though?

And a minor footnote, earlier today one of Bengals 2 6th round compensatory picks was changed to a 3rd rounder, #97. So that bumps #103 to #104 and our 5th round pick from #163 to #164. I count beans for a living… LOL

I am continually surprised at the number of fans that are surprised, shocked, disappointed etc that Brad Holmes does not go for the big time FA splash signings or trades. This FO has told us from day 1 that they trust their process which is growing through the draft and using FA for exactly what we are seeing depth pieces and contributors. The big splashy signings and trades are not ever going to be what Brad is about. BTW I am including myself in this because I really wanted to see a deal for Christian Wilkins or Danielle Hunter along with a big time CB move. It just isn’t what they do. It should not be a surprise they have told us this from day 1. We should have gotten to the SB with their philosophy maybe we should trust it too?

8 Likes

Brad warned us not to panic in March and April
He’s getting depth pieces in FA, just as he said.
I think that giving pick number 93 is fair for Davis.

2 Likes

Bradley is rolling his eyes at fan reactions, for sure. lol.

5 Likes

:rofl:, so when we signing a TE ?? I kid.

60% of the time, Brad’s plan works every time.

3 Likes

Ron Burgundy Anchorman GIF by Ben L

Of course we got better. We upgraded a starting CB spot going from a #4 type guy to another #2 type guy.

These moves alone won’t make us a good defense, though. We just went from really sucky to less sucky.

This isnt me bitching, I’m just trying to be realistic when I say that Brad has a lot more work to do if we want a legitimate defense.

Fortunately, we still have the rest of free agency and one of the best draft Gurus in the business to make that happen.

1 Like