We got better today!

The Lions had a legit run defense in 2023. Only Benito remains unsigned in terms of guys that shut down the run. It was pass defense and sacks where this defense lagged.

Now we added a credible starting CB which I felt like was our biggest need. And we replaced Romeo Okwara with Marcus Davenport. Those feel like significant upgrades for the Lions at positions of need. And James Houston is also back.

2 Likes

Betts, completely forgot about him and a total Wild Card absolutely no idea what to expect from him.

1 Like

It’s also a myth that Holmes has daid we won’t add big time players in fagency. He specifically said they would if the right player was available and they felt they were a piece or 2 away. We made the Championship game. We did squat at the deadline.

Sorry, you can pound the table we got better, id argue, we’re no better and possibly worse. To pretend a player with a massive injury is a upgrade, more power to you. Vatai was bettet than a lot of guards to. Were we better because of him?

We lost a PB guard, oh but he was injured. We sign a guy with a massive injury history, oh we’re significantly better?

Im not complaining about the offseason yet, it’s very early. However can wr be consistent? We’re down a starting PB level guard, we added another teir 2 CB, a injury plagued DE, an an undetsized CFL player who may not even make the team.

If we don’t do something fairy significant for the Defense, by TC, then I’ll be frustrated.

Spring is in the air and there will be no facts to interfere with my perfect dreams until September. I need time off just like the players do…

season 8 mermaid man begins GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

He’s an upgrade if healthy; doesn’t cost us much if not. He’s healthy now, if he has another injury we simply replace him with another free agent, a draft choice, or a trade, and have no money on the books for him for next year.

This strategy is so good at managing long-term risk, yet we still underestimate Brad.

If h8s injuries continue he’s no help. You can say underestimate, i can say Mosely and CJGJ just last yr.

He played in one PB as a replacement. I’m a bigger fan of Jonah than most but let’s not make it sound like he’s consistently been an elite player. He has not.

2 Likes

Nope, stating the obvious, its not a simple replacement, he was a good OG, to think any Tom ,Dick, or Harry is gonna replace him is a joke. Its gonna rake an investment

We upgraded the weakest position on the team, from UDFA Jacobs and street free agent Vildor to Carlton Davis. Huge upgrade, even if Davis isn’t the Pro Bowl player we all wanted at the position.

We brought back our starting right guard on a contract waaaay cheaper than worse guards have been getting.

We signed Davenport as a rotational rusher with starting potential. Hutchinson, Cominsky and Paschal were our top 3 players last season at DE in terms of snaps played, and they are all still under contract. If Davenport is healthy, he can be an upgrade on Cominsky and Paschal, if not then we’re no worse with Davenport than we were with Charles Harris and Romeo in the 4th and 5th spots in the rotation.

So we improved one starting position massively, stood PAT at another and signed a new depth guy at a third position. That’s not a bad day’s work.

There’s still a hole at LG, and at DT, but the offseason is still young.

1 Like

I agree that he’s a good Guard. But he’s more solid than a legitimate year after year Pro Bowl kind of guy. As to what level of investment will be needed, we’ll see. Each and every year plenty of Guards are pulled off the scrap heap and then excel. It’s what makes this Guard gold rush so damn silly.

LOL, come on. Davenports injury history is real. DE opposite Hutch was a glaring need last yr, Davenport doesn’t move the needle. He has to prove he can stay in the field. What was our top DE outside Hutch, a 3 sack guy? 2 1/2? DT is still a hole, LOG is a new hole, we added a teir 2 CB, an undetsized 29 yr old DE from the Canadian league that might not even make the roster.

Sorry, it’s just as nuts to sit here and say we’re better as it is to say we’re worse. We’ve realistically not moved the needle.

The Holmes is God narrative vs the Holmes has made some questionable or unpopular decisions is also nuts.

We’re very early in Fagency, he has a lot of work to do.

I would say the addition of Davis alone makes the team better.

I can’t, you argued the offense failed us in the playoffs. Our offense is dictatef by the Oline, the group that makes it all work. It is unquestionably worse, today.

You literally just said in your last post that we’re early in FA. It technically hasn’t even started yet. We still have the draft to go through as well.

Are we really going to sit here and bitch and moan because on the 12th of March, Brad Holmes has not addressed the LG position? Before FA has started and a month and a half before the draft? Come on.

Did you bother to read the prior post or just jumping to Holmes defense out of reflex?

Seriously, make a counterpoint to an argument and suddenly context is lost,

On one post you say you’ll be frustrated if we’re sitting here by TC, but posts later, you are judging our OL group as it sits “today”. It just doesn’t make sense to me, that’s all. Obviously our roster in spots is worse today than it was last season - we have barely had the chance to address anything.

Again did you read tbe prior post? The point i made here was addressing another saying we’re clearly better because we added Davis. The counter point was we’re not because the strength of the team. the driving force of the Offense is worse. Context

If this is the final make up of the team going into the 2024 season, then I would agree with you. It isn’t.

Today, Today, the team got better it addressed one of the weaknesses. Within the next 45 days I think the team will get better again in more than one position.

So, yes, today, or yesterday, the team got better.

I can’t agree, today we no longer have a PB caliber LOG, we’re not bettet. Will the eventual replacement be as good? Especially bargain shopping? I have my doubts. Today we’re not better, in the future possibly

I think Dan Campbell said it best, if you don’t like his approach to 4th downs then wear a diaper. Same applies to Brad’s approach to free agency.

2 Likes