We Need Elite

So you’re worried about Bryce Young’s size, but you’re not worried that all of the Jalen Carter hype is completely conjured from smoke and mirrors? I would happily fire you after Bryce becomes a superstar and Jalen Carter continues to produce at his current level.

Do you think Carter’s production is smoke and mirrors? I haven’t heard that take. What gives you that impression?

I also think the choice given where they will be drafted is probably Anderson or Young and Carter or Levis

What production?

Did you watch the National Championship game? He was a game wrecker. I asked sincerely, and hoping for a thoughtful take that might sway my opinion. A reply of ‘what production?’ lacks persuasiveness

Allen would have needed to beat Burrow, Mahomes, or Brady to get to a Super Bowl.

Goff did have some “help” from his defense…,

My suggestion is always to watch game film. My opinion doesn’t really matter, neither does PFF, nor any other source. Unless you just want to espouse someone else’s opinion, you really have to watch them. However, a quick look at Jalen’s Carter stats tells you he falls extremely short of past DTs like Suh and Donald.

1 Like

Goff beat Drew Brees on the road in probably the most hostile environment EVER in an NFL game if we’re talking crowd noise

Spare me the 3rd and 10 bail out non call :grin:

1 Like

The games I’ve watched he’s been impressive. The film analysis looks convincing. There’s always an element of risk but someone on some message board for the Niners may have said, ‘you’re fired when Parsons flames out and Lance is a top five QB in two years’. We don’t really know for sure what’s going to happen. But this monster in the middle is what the Lions need badly

2 Likes

I watched a good chunk of the Tennessee Georgia game a couple weeks back mostly to see how Hooker would fair as a potential second round pick. Carter kept popping on the screen and Georgia shut down Hooker

I just checked the stats and Carter won the Bednarik Award player of the week. He had 4 tackles, a sack and 2 forced fumbles vs what was then the number one team

Says he’s from Apopka…like Kerby Joseph. Northern suburb of Orlando.

Weird to me tat he only has 6 sacks. I know there are a lot of other ways to contribute, but that doesn’t feel like a dominant number for NCAA.
Also didn’t feel this breakdown had good hi lights to go with what he was trying to put on display.

Strange.

This is what I sense too, but I AM wrong all the time…annnnd…a DT is my favorite idea, if talent were equal.

Can he be Suh minus? Alim Plus?

Im gonna just hope here, and put my faith in Holmes. I truly believe Brad will do the right thing.

1 Like

Part of that is how absurdly stacked Georgia’s DL has been. Carter was a rotational player his first few years but produced relatively speaking at a higher rate

Before this season he had appeared in 22 games and had accumulated 51 tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss, and 3.0 sacks.

He had played roughly half the games that Wyatt and Davis did in their careers, but still managed to put up numbers comparable to what the two now NFL players did over four or five years

As a freshman he as a rotational player playing mostly on 2nd and 3rd downs. In 2021, as a sophomore still playing behind Devonte Wyatt primarily at the defensive tackle spot, he superseded Wyatt’s tackles for loss and total sacks.

This year too he missed some games because of injury. Which does give me some pause after Levi. But he seems to be back full strength.

All one needs to do is just watch the GA games to see how much of a force he is in the middle.

1 Like

Maybe he doesn’t lose Thursday if Swift caught a perfect pass for a TD But the RB who so many avoid pointing finger at for lack of production . WHY?

What about the fumble by Williams? We all can play what about. Many here have selective players to blame on a Team game. Many blamed Matt at every loss, always should have or didn’t do right …just whine an point finger.

That was a hell of a pass to get in position to kick winning FG by Allen

6 Likes

We also probably force a punt if Allen doesn’t get the roughing the passer on 3rd and 10. That drive I believe continued for a TD. That’s the game right there as well

1 Like

Nope, Carter is one of the top 3 players on the draft. Top 4 if you count Stroud. Young is tiny and i don’t think he’s going to survive. He will get hit, and hit hard. Just like in college where he’s already had mtiple AC injuries to his throwing shoulder.

It’s Anderson or Carter for me. If Houston can develop and show more by the end of the yr. I might flip Carter to my no. 1. I’ll take my chances on Carter being the player i think he can be at a position of need. On a team with the no. 6 scoring offense missing 1/2, it’s starters most of the yr. Vs a pint size QB with an avg arm. Young has accuracy, intelligence, and a good pocket presence. He’s also tiny, with a body i don’t think holds up in the NFL.

Carter has all the physical tools to excel. Many wanted Davis off combine numbers while only playing around 32% of defensive snaps, and no stats. Carter fits what we need, and would be great to pair with Alim. With any luck Levi comes back and can be the player we thought when we drafted him. If so that’s a nasty rotation inside.

Im not a fan of ANY QB early in this draft. 2 players jump at me in the top 5. If we get Anderson or Carter, that’s a huge win. Add Porter jr with our 1st, and im happy. If we can somehow add Gibbs or Bijan, even better. That’s 3 potential game changers.

Young won’t challenge Goff next yr, and i can’t think of a smaller QB drafted top 5. A 5’ 10", 190 lb QB, if that, i think has a short shelf life. Im not risking a top 5 pick on that.

2 Likes

And I think Goff can get the job done. The more I see of Goff the more I am convinced that he is just as good as Stafford. The missed pass on 3rd and 1 looked like what coach Campbell said it was - a QB that was not on the same page with his receiver who he has not been able to practice with much all year.

If anything I think the play call should have probably been a play with ARSB as the hot read - they are clearly on the same page and he is really reliable. Chark took some steps in the right direction in the game and if he can stay healthy and practice with Goff he should become reliable as well.

3 Likes

All things considered (and I am going off of what I’ve read), this dude is #2 on my wish list.
Hope the Rams can somehow get us Anderson. If not, I want Carter. After that, I’ll try to not be too upset.
Option 3 for me would probably be trade back (like every other year). LOL

Weeze-man will come in here with some sort of quadruple trade-back scenario, and I will fully buy in…
I’ll just be like “YES!!! Let’s do that!”

2 Likes

I would much rather trade down and take the USC DT that actually produces on the field than blow a pick on a guy over hype.

1 Like

Could probably pick up the USC kid in the second round but then he’s all but guaranteed to be a bust. Realistically he could be a late round pick we don’t really need to negotiate trades to draft. PFN Has him as the eighth ranked defensive tackle going into this draft with Carter ranked number one

NFL draft buzz has him projected to be a UDFA

The point is completely valid because you have guys on a damn message board trying to discredit a guy who has played and had success at the highest levels. Time will tell if RG3 is right or not but it’s laughable when you have a mailman trying to discredit the guy.

Well you have your opinion. At least the USC guy has the size to play in the league. However, Ill stick with the guy overwhelmingly rated the no. 1 DT in the draft by a considerable margin.