Week 11 takeaways: Lions, Stroud not serious contenders in their respective futures markets

Nah, I think our chances of making the SB are pretty long but that is the nature of the SB. We all know our D has deficiencies.
But it’s just too cool to be in the conversation for the first time ever not to enjoy the ride.
Even when this team over achieves, fans set the bar of expectations higher and fret about it.
We have a chance, even if it is smaller than some other teams. We’re not there yet, but we’re not dog meat either. Your stat shows that that kind of loss is just what the coaches said, a throw out. it happens. I’m on the we’re in it until we’re not crowd, and it’s been too long not to enjoy every thing.
This team is setting new records. And not in futility for a change. :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Most of the current contenders aren’t going to make it to the Super Bowl. With the way our offense can score, we have at least a puncher’s chance against anybody in the NFC. On defense however we are definitely below Philly and San Fran.

1 Like

Definitely.

Eagles have a better K

But the 49ers don’t:

Yep, and if we get Ceedy Deuce back for the last month, the backend may pick up a bit and get back some swagger at the right time. It’s all about injuries and good timing that will help extend our season.

Quality reading comprehension there, bud. The Bears are probably a 5-6 team if Fields never injured his thumb. Plus they’ve added a top 25 DE. They are not a “good team” but they are far better than their record indicates.

1 Like

Why does a small subset of Lion fans seem to be unhappy right now?
Why a need to maintain that they just aren’t that good?

I certainly think the odds are pretty firmly against them going to or winning the SB, but I’ve been an NFL fan for decades and seen a lot of unexpected things happen.

It could happen.
And by the way, no team has a 50-50 chance of going right now.

But let’s assume they don’t? Was life better winning 3, 4, 5, 6 games a season?
Was life better just not even contending for division titles and playoff seeds?

And who are these two?
I’ll give you guys a guess as to how much weight I put into what these 2 guys have to say…anyone wanna guess???

Btw, I think the one on the left is Azn from Street Outlaws and the other is Kenny G’s kid.

No superbowl winning team has lost a home game to a divisional rival?

1 Like

The element of randomness to the “tournament” is why I favor the long term build as opposed to the chips at the center of the table approach. Try and punch as many tickets to the annual dance as possible and see what happens.

2 Likes

giphy

The team that went to the Super Bowl from the NFC lost to the worst team in their division that year

You people really don’t follow pro football that closely

The Eagles have struggled twice with the Commanders this year. Trailing them before pulling out the win. The Commanders don’t appear to be anything special.

But this doesn’t disqualify the Eagles.

1 Like

The Chiefs won the Super Bowl and lost to a 4-12-1 team.

This board is filled with people who think they know what a good team looks like and constantly compare this years Lions team to some imaginary juggernaut

1 Like

The 2018 Patriots, who won the Super Bowl, lost to:

the 5-11 Jaguars 31-20

the 6-10 Lions 26-10

the 9-7 Titans 34-10

the 7-9 Dolphins 34-33

the 9-6-1 Steelers 17-10

All five regular season losses were on the road.

1 Like

I looked back over the past 10 years stopping with the Ravens Super Bowl victory in 2013. In that time the Super Bowl champion for that year has never lost at home to the fourth place team in their division.

Lions haven’t either.

If you think “close” to winning or “close to losing” matters, tell that to everyone who watched Thursday Night Football on December 3, 2015.

2 Likes

It’s a totally justifiable take, we can only play who’s on our schedule and it’s not exactly a murderer’s row. And we’re bound to struggle against some of them.

But unlike the Chiefs and Eagles who struggle against the Jets, say, we don’t have the opportunity to go out and beat a legit team so the media can go “oh that was just a blip.” Our schedule doesn’t allow it.

That said, it’s actually great that we’re going to be overlooked while we’re winning.

The chip on our shoulder will be giant. The nobody-believes-in-us will ring loud in the locker room. If we go 15-2/14-3/13-4 and everyone is just writing us off, that will very much work in our favor.

2 Likes

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and sex.

atomic bombs

Pulling out a victory, from the jaws of defeat, when you didn’t play your best game (on offense or defense) yet still finding a way to win is what good teams (aka Super Bowl Champs) do.

There’s a lot we need to clean up before we can make a legitimate run at the SB but that can be said of just about every team this season. IMO there isn’t a team I’m afraid to have the Lions square up against on any given Sunday.

1 Like