Weekly Reminder

Perfect analogy Weas. Nobody owes the Fords a thing.

3 Likes

Well done. First time I’ve ever read just the first sentence and went “nope. Not reading anymore.”

Like when you just have to ask how when you find out someone died….

I had to read it all…. :thinking::confounded:🥲

2 Likes

Same. That’s when I stopped arguing about Stafford altogether. What’s the point of carrying on a conversation with someone who’s not even watching the game? Like, they’re waiting for an interception to be reported or for PFF to post some stats they can hang their hat on. I’m just not interested in those “conversations”.

2 Likes

In real life I have “Stafford was the problem” people around me. Not really on this board. This board is different and people come from different angles that don’t match “Stafford is the problem.” Being honest the only people on this board who even say “Stafford was the problem” are people who love Stafford. They are just setting up a paper dinosaur instead of having a real conversation. Its weak sauce and the board deserves better.

1 Like

Cool story. Now name names of people here on this board who thought the Lions were a good team and the one thing holding them back was Matt Stafford.

I have an idea in my head what the response will be. Don’t let me down.

2 Likes

Stafford is the best QB Lions have ever had, and fans love him for just being him, win or lose…He will win Sunday and hopefully wind up in the SB …and DEtroit will celebrate as if he won it here… js

2 Likes

I’m part of the Magic Bean snob club. I thought I might be the prez but that’s clearly @HSVLion. That guy has a gift for rooting for draft position. In the magic bean club we prefer that our magic beans be prized, the envy of most all other magic bean holders. It’s why I’m a Lions fan. Once a decade one of those magic beans grows into a unicorn that doesn’t win much but has shiny dance moves and sings Honolulu blue and Silver rainbows.

So Matt needs to ball out … but lose as much as possible. Come 2024 I’ll root for the Rams MUCH more heavily.

3 Likes

I don’t call it a gift. I call it rational thinking.

I’d rather have the 1st overall pick than the 2nd overall pick and a meaningless win over the Vikings in week 5.

Now would I rather win every game? Hell yeah. That’s what it’s all about.

But that was never going to happen for the past 5 years.

2 Likes

this is awesome! LOL

1 Like

Disagree. My wife’s family are Vikings’ fans Given the status quo I dislike those discussions very much.

Ok.

The Ravens in week 3.

How’s that?

You were rooting for Tucker to make that field goal, weren’t you?

This isn’t some strawman that I’m inventing. There’s a huge contingent of fans from this board and its predecessors that fixated on Stafford as the major driver of why the team wasn’t winning, just like average “duh” fans on the street.

These people wanted a new quarterback every year. They maintained that guys like Mike Glennon and Andy Dalton are as good or better than Stafford. We were told that Matt simply couldn’t win, didn’t care about winning, and/or wasn’t winning because he needed to be “pushed” for his job. On teams where the running game and defense were both bottom quartile on the league, they’d still be obsessing over how much Stafford sucked in their minds for not winning. Every year they used the phrase “rebuild” as both code for dumping Stafford and as the rationale for ejecting him.

If you want to be obtuse and do a victory lap because I’m not doing an exhaustive search to find a literal quote that says, “Stafford is the only problem” have at it. But if you widen the semantics just the teeniest little bit to include those who implied and behaved as such, you’ve got a pretty decent-sized cohort. And many of them are currently salty.

3 Likes

Absolutely.
Have we forgotten the “percentage of cap” posters that hung every roster failure on Stafford as though he was the one who drafted LeShoure, Best, Broyles, Young, etc.?

I thought about making a list a couple of times. Whenever I had those thoughts it was a reminder that I was engaging with the wrong people for the wrong reasons, choosing to move on from Stafford conversations altogether. Couple that with the knowledge that some would rush to the board to bash him for throwing a pick when they weren’t even watching the game, and you realize how useless a conversation actually was.

3 Likes

I loved Stafford when he was here. He was a helluva QB and had the unfortunate luck of being drafted by the Lions. Kudos to him for giving his all and sticking it out for 12 years beating his head against the wall with the rest of us. We all know the story Incompetance throughout the organization. The guy was a baller. Many amazing comebacks also some boneheaded mistakes at the worst times. Glad to see him on a winner. That being said I’ll be rooting for the Lions to shock the world and do the impossible tomorrow. I have no doubt Stafford will ball out the rest of his career, make amazing plays and lead the Rams to the Superbowl I wish him well. Just not against the Lions. I hope Matt does great in every game the next 2 years but I hope the Rams lose every game and if they win the Superbowl I’ll be happy for Stafford.

1 Like

“Widening the semantics” is just another way of saying you are moving the goalposts.

1 Like

No, but I wasn’t upset that he made it either.

I honestly have no issues with this take. Not sure why anyone else would either.

Not impossible! Depending on who you listen to, there’s a 15-22% chance we win (but, none of them are refs).