Welcome Mr. Chark

The problem is that ASB and Jamo are already anointed in this scenario of giving them “big time” target share….?

Kupp
Woods
Jefferson
Obj
Higbee
Michel
Akers

Mixon
J Chase
Higgins
Boyd
Ozumah

Evans
Godwin
AB
Gronk
R Jones
Fournette

Kelce
Hill
Hardman
Watkins
Clyde Edwards

Kelce
T Hill
Watkins
Hardman
Hunt/Williams

Most of the recent SB winners and runners up are pretty stacked with 2-3 noteworthy WRs, TE, RB

2 Likes

Forgot to mention that if let Chark walk and Jamo goes down for a game or two, we wouldn’t have another legit deep target and our offense would become suffocated. Redundancy at SPEED is never a bad thing.

3 Likes

4 catches for 76 yards and 2 tds…

There isn’t a 24-28 year old CB available. Ext year I’d prefer to sign over keeping Chark-

We need to sign AO, extend Hock and pay Chark imho

1 Like

I’m excited about Chark too, Goff apparently was on fire…but then I read this part.

“the first-team offense regularly went up against backups and potential practice squad players”

So, best not to put too much stock into that. Not sure why they don’t play the 1st team offense vs the 1st team defense. That’s how you get better.

A while back I called Campbell the quarterback whisperer, now Goff is crediting Campbell for his growth over the off season.
This is going to be an interesting season.

Agree… that goes for most any QB

Kupp
Woods
Jefferson
DJax
Tutu Atwell

Higbee

Akers
Henderson

That was the skilled group to start camp-

Then a few injuries and… BOOM- here comes Michel and OBJ

The Chiefs HAD to put some focus on the D with McDuffie, Karlaftis, B Cooks and Chenal….

That said they brought in MVS, Ronald Jones, and of course JuJu while drafting Sky Moore to try and replace T Hill….

The Phins are trying to figure out what they have in Tua- and suddenly it’s Waddle, Gesecki, Edmunds, Mostert, Ced Wilson, and then the huge trade for Ty Hill

• I remember Stafford playing with some questionable depth charts around him, and he had no issues going 5-11 here too….

Point guards need shooters, cutters, and lop threats.

QBs need OL, run game, receiving weapons.

I expect Chark to put up substantial numbers while Jamo is out. I think needy GMs will extrapolate optimistically due to that. Given the lack of options that will make him very expensive to resign unless we get a substantial hometown discount.

This is nice to see though.

2 Likes

Putting up “substantial” numbers isn’t a byproduct of a 1 year starter- rookie WR being out…… it’s proof of talent and opportunity.

If he’s putting up “substantial” numbers and we are winning without Jamo, then letting him leave is ignorant.

4 Likes

Well it’s actually a byproduct of talent AND opportunity. Hence my point.

It’s not ignorant, it’s just business. I’ve seen plenty of D.J. Chark. I had him on my fantasy team in 2019. I probably watched 9-10 of his ganes at his peak. Now he could improve and he may (hopefully) benefit from better QB play. But I’m confident that he’s not a true high end number 1 WR and I think it’s fairly likely that he’ll command that type of deal if he plays well due to supply and demand.

Roster construction should be holistic. IMO our offensive payroll priorities should go to OL and OL is soon going to get VERY expensive. Compensating by shrewd devisions at the skill positions where we have cheap under control talent is a good way to mitigate our bloated allocation at OL.

If it’s 17-19m per then take the comp 3rd and give me someone like Quentin Johnson in round 2.

1 Like

I think I laid out the options decently well earlier in the thread. It’s not as though I can’t see other approaches. IMO if we’re getting close to 20m per it’s a hard pass for me.

I love Jamo and what he could bring.

He’s also a 179 pound rookie with an ACL tear in the books Already.

Here is my take-

-O

1. Goff- 3
  2. Swift- 2
  3. Hock- 2
  4. Jamo- 5
  5. ASB- 3
  6. Decker- 4
  7. Jackson- 2
  8. Ragnow- 5
  9. Big V- 3
  10. Sewell- 4
    -D
  11. Hutch- 5
  12. McNeill- 3
  13. Harris- 2
  14. Barnes- 3
  15. Okudah- 3
  16. Walker- 3

-Maybes
17. Paschal- 4
18. Levi- 3
19. M Rod- 4
20. Joseph- 4
21. Iffy- 3
22. JO- 2
23. Romeo- 2
24. Reynolds- 2

We literally have Chark and AO coming due in less than 2 years of our core players…. Bryant seem to be showing out too, so maybe 3….

Cut Brockers- maybe Romeo- save nearly 20M

Pay up for AO and Chark who will be 27 year old leaders and culture guys… in addition to being good.

3 Likes

I sure hope it gets to that point and we have to make that hard decision because it would mean he had a massive season this year.

Also, you only get comp picks if you don’t do anything yourself in free agency, and I think the Lions will be players in free agency next offseason whether they keep Chark or not.

2 Likes

I sort of agree….

Decker has 3 more years and his cap hit goes down the next 2…

Jackson is pretty darn cheap for 2 more.

Ragnow is cheap this year, expensive next and the. Gets cheaper again.

Big V will save us big time to cut next year?

Sewell is pretty good value for 3 more.

• I’d love to give Brockers and Romeos money to Chark and AO- the latter two would be a bit more but not a ton.

If you look at who will be free agents- they will likely both be top 10-15 gets if they play how I expect.

So we use our picks on DT, RG, CB and RB next year.

Sign a veteran LB

1 Like

Yup.

1 Like

Not necessarily. Christian Kirk got 4/72m that could escalate to 84m coming off a 77/982/5 season. That was due to the dearth of FA options and '23’d crop looks even more barren.

But you can rolll the money over. I’d rather wait till we’re needing to extend our elite guys and/or are close enough to competing to add a big prize.

By the start of the '23 season Jamo will be 20 months removed from the ACL tear.

Our 3 year window starts RIGHT NOW- it’s not a 4-5 year build process anymore….

Doesn’t it kind of feel like the Murray and LJax windows may be getting tight already?

I think 2023 and 2024 are our best shots, maybe 2025-

I’m not doubting your or my ability to pluck 2nd or 3rd round WR prospects that will surely hit 1,000 yards at some point- but I wouldn’t bet my franchise on it. But if it’s not a rookie phenom, then it might be regression.

What a horrible deal, huge overpay, they will regret that one. Oddly enough they had Chark, and decided to pay Kirk all that money and let Chark walk. Anyways, we shall see what happens.

1 Like

Huh? Our 4 year window likely starts when we get the cheap QB on the rookie deal. I’m more bullish on Goff and the Lions than many but our window to compete for championships is clearly not yet open.