Welcome Mr. Chark

Agree to disagree….

When we go 9-8 this year… and draft #17-19then I doubt we are taking a QB in 1- in the 23’ draft…

When we make the playoffs in 23’, then I really doubt we go QB-

Goff is our cheap young QB. He’s damn near the same age as Josh Allen and by next year his contract won’t be in the top 12-15.

2 Likes

I’ve never bought that. Sure, having a cheap QB is super helpful, but teams are just as likely to win with expensive QB. Go back 20 years and I think only Pittsburgh, NYG, Seattle, and KC won with QB on rookie deals.

Personally, I think the window is nearing. Not this year, maybe next. But part of keeping that window open is avoiding signing #2/#3 WR to franchise deals.

1 Like

The Bears have Fields- this isn’t the start of their window, it’s the start of their next rebuild.

The Giants are likely moving on from D Jones soon

The Jags better hope that Law turns out better than Gabbert or Bortles.

I feel more bullish on Detroit the next 3-4 than I do Zona, and they just did the Rosen and Murray dance- and the. Still gave Murray a crazy deal.

The Phins tried Tannehill, then cheap vets, now Tua and I’m still not sold-

We won’t even get into the Baker, Watson and their predecessors fiasco-

How about Darnold? Jameis? Mariota?

Chiefs, Bengals, Bills, and Herbert are rare- rare finds and frankly Goff accomplished more by 24 than Allen or Herbert have….

1 Like

Incredibly well put in far fewer words than I use. Lol

Does anyone truly believe that Adams or Hill will be functionally replaced by Watson or Skyy Moore? I don’t.

1 Like

You have fair points too. Lions already have a QB on a great deal, but only if he’s a good QB.

I generally hate rookie QB. Look at last year’s class. I am thinking that only Lance has real upside. Can’t count all the others out, but to me Jones is JAG and Fields is already a bust. I suppose there is still time for Wilson or Lawrence but I don’t see it.

It is so easy to get a good veteran QB. I have no idea why teams go all in on these rookies.

Goff = Carr

Decker < K Miller
J Jackson = J Simpson
F Ragnow > A James
Big V > D Parham
Sewell > Leatherwood

Hock < Waller

Chark < D Adams
ASB > Renfrow
Jamo > M Hollins

Swift/J Will/Jefferson < Jacbobs/Drake/Z White

Hutch = Crosby (hopefully)
McNeill > Hankins
Levi < Bilal Nichols
C Harris < C Jones

C Board > D Daiblo
D Barnes < D Perryman

AO > Rock Ya Sin
Okudah = T Mullen
T Walker < T Moehrig
D Elliott = J Abram
Iffy < N Hobbs

Overall if Hutch becomes a Crosby or better, Harris has 8 plus sacks this year, and our DBs stay healthy, then our depth chart is nearly identical to the Raiders.

They have the superstars in Adams and Jones, but they are nearing the end of their road-

1 Like

The problem with the rookie QB situation is that it all comes down to timing.

The Jets got very, very lucky and it happened organically. I’ve never been a Z Wilson fan, as he’s kind of a douche, but the way that the OL- G Wilson/E Moore/B Hall all came together it’s possible they could have a great offense in 1-2 years. If Wilson busts the rest won’t matter

1 Like

Since 2013 there have been three approaches:

1:) get the GOAT at 40/50% market value bc his wife is an international superstar and he’s wired differently
2:) be able to recruit a proven veteran due to strength of roster AND quality of life factors
3:) draft a stud QB in the draft that acclimates quickly due to a strong roster.

Option 1 is an impossibility. 2 seems unlikely to me given the headwinds that Detroit faces compared to other locales. Even if the quality of life factors aren’f an issue, we’re still not quite there roster wise.

Therefore I think option 3 is very likely to be the approach we take unless Goff has a massive resurgence. I think we’ll have to see 2017/18 Goff to not grab a 1st round QB in one of the next two drafts. At that point our contention clock starts. Just my opinion of course.

I like our offensive setup better than the Jets. Especially once Jamo is healthy.

3 Likes

You can of course move up in the draft. If we’re at 17 and say 26 we may not get Young or Stroud but if we believe in Levis, Richardson or whoever we can absolutely go get him.

Really?

1 is impossible….

I’ve posted this 5 times at least pertaining to #2- please look at Eli and Ben’s SB seasons, and in Ben’s case even the SBs- and consider that was before the rookie wage scale anyway?

So really a 24 year old 3rd rounder that Seattle lucked into- they had just given a huge free agency deal to Matt Flynn (lol)…. And Mahomes

Patrick Mahomes is the loan example of a team attacking the draft to get a stud QB and winning the SB with him- in the rookie wage era-

Ben and Eli had 70s and 80s ratings early on-

1 Like

Me too- but I think they have a shot.

I don’t love anything the Jags have done.

The Bears are a disaster.

If the 49ers go backwards with Lance- Shanahan might get lynched

I think Mac Jones may turn out to be okay, but he sure will need a roster around him.

J Goff might be our veteran QB

Based on? Is Lawrence already a bust as well? If not, what’s the difference except your preconceived notions? Fields actually played better last year in terms of QB rating. Both were in incredibly dysfunctional situations. Personally I think both are going to be good QBs but I’m often wrong on QBs :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Unsurprisingly, I couldn’t disagree with you more.

First, you are overlooking the Nick Foles year which is the exact path I think the Lions - and most teams - should take.

No, don’t run out and sign Nick Foles, but rather go out and build a team that is capable of winning, then go and find your QB. If you have the right kind of team, you will be able to talk players into joining you. Denver doesn’t have any kind of special QOL. Nor New Orleans, Tampa, Cleveland, Minnesota (Favre). For that matter, Rodgers didn’t have to re-sign with GB.

Players will go where they can get paid and where they can win. Kurt Warner took Arizona to the Super Bowl. Favre got Minnesota to the Championship. Those guys are available every single year.

Run with Goff while you build the team. Try to develop a young guy along the way* And if both of those plans fail, go get the QB you need once the pieces are in place

*something the Lions are failing to do to their detriment

I think Goff is the 17-18’ version.

As long as they keep support around him.

In 2019 the crippled his chances by letting half the OL go, and having to force feed Gurley due to the massive contract- despite him being toast.

He had no run game, no OL, and a decent D in 19’…. Still went 9-7.

Played in 20’ hurt- still had a playoff run and a win-

1 Like

Their situations. Their performance.

Fields is terrible. Lawrence might end up being JAG but who cares.

1 Like

Exactly this- hell one Of these young QBs hampered by shit teams might be perfect reds targets “if” Goff doesn’t pan out.

I think Goff is a borderline Pro Bowler this year so it will be moot.

His 11 TD to 2 Int stretch with a .500 record came with zero offensive talent.

Hock and swift were missing games.

GOFF STARTED FIGURING IT OUT WITH EVAN BROWN, BROCK WRIGHT, JOSH REYNOLDS, K RAYMOND, NETFLIX AND A ROOKIE - ASB in the LINEUP!!!

1 Like

I’m not ignoring Nick Foles and the Eagles. They fit into scenario three due to Wentz… They don’t sniff the SB if Foles is their QB the whole year.

And yes Detroit is absolutely a tough place to recruit a superstar QB (and his family) worth 100-200m dollars to. People are flocking to Denver like crazy. It’s a very desirable city to live in and their situation was ready to go. Payton was the draw for Brees and he came with very real risk and hence had a relative lack of suitors. Tampa has it’s weather which was very important to Tom (or Giselle more specifically). Cleveland? Are you really using Watson as an example? Hardly a normal situation. Favre looked toast in NY. Again there was a great deal of skepticism at that time and Minny’s offensive was stacked. Warner was also thought to be done when he first signed with AZ.

Sure maybe we can get a former great that folks think is toast and he rekindles greatness for a few years but I think the chances of that are exceptionally finite. As for the Foles approach I’m not even sure what that is. Get a good backup and hope he takes over in the playoffs and leads us to a magical run?

It’s VERY likely that if we move on from Goff our path forward is through the draft.

1 Like

Tannehill, M Ryan, M Stafford, T Brady…. Maybe Cousins, Goff, Winston or Russ- could be HALF the playoff teams starting vet QBs they signed or traded for……???

Mahomes, Allen, Carr, Dak, Murray, Rodgers, likely 5 playoff teams led by homegrown talent- now making big bucks- so no rookie deal benefit

L Jax, Burrow, Herbert and Lance are the only rookie contract QBs that really have a shot imo.