What defines success this year?

Now that the draft is over and all we have to do is sit and think for the next couple months, I’m wondering what is the best case scenario for this Lions team? What makes this year successful? I’m torn as I write this, because I think there are two different avenues you could argue.

1. Pull off a Pistons-esque tank job. This means that we are super competitive, our young guys show a lot of potential, we believe that we are on the right track, and we are picking high enough in the draft to get our next franchise QB.

2. Compete for a playoff spot. I think its extremely unlikely we make the playoffs, but crazier things have happened. Maybe a more realistic goal would be to get to 7 or 8 wins this year. What if Goff turns it around and proves to be a top 10-15 QB again that we believe we can build around? What if our rag tag group of receivers actually produce now that they’ve been given opportunity? What if we actually develop a strong run game with our good offensive line and talented runningbacks?

Which option would be the best case (realistic) scenario? Are there other best case (realistic) scenarios to consider? Obviously winning the Superbowl would be the dream, but I don’t know if anyone on this board is actually expecting that to happen this year.

1 Like

LOL, man I long for the day when we don’t need these threads and success is self evidentiary.

For this year, after what we just witnessed for 3 years, success is looking prepared every week. That’s all. We don’t need to be the cinderalla story. Just look like we freaking belong on the field every week

3 Likes

Just look competent and just play well. Don’t look like a clown show like the last couple of regimes.

4 Likes

Win these 5 games. Twice against the Pack, Minny and Chicago at home, and most importantly beat the Rams by 21.

When did this work? The 80s?

6-11.

Two upsets—games they weren’t “supposed to” win.

Defend the Den: A 4-4 (or better) home record.

This year. We’ve done a great job tanking this year. Hopefully it pans out well for us, but they’ve done everything you could want to fail well this year.

3 Likes

This is very good. To get to 6, at least on paper, would be quite a feat. If we go off ESPN’s chart, we have the 3rd toughest Strength of Schedule. Assuming the other teams are what we think they are (they rarely all are), then 6 wins means we beat teams we shouldn’t have. That would be success.

My definition of success this year wouldn’t be on the record, rather:
OL gelling and playing at a top-10 level.
DL playing with swagger and getting off the field on 3rd downs.
DBs playing up to their potential, removing any doubt that they belong.
A sack full of kneecaps.

1 Like

Winning season (9-8) is the minimum bar in my opinion. A good coaching staff can do a lot quickly.

There will be holes and issues but every team is facing adversity of some kind.

1 Like

7 wins. Campbell’s worst season can never be worse or even equal to Patricia’s best season.

1 Like

Hard to call… injuries and COVID are the wildcards imho

We lose Swift or Goff? Yikes!

If we stay healthy just play competitive, smart football

My goal for 2021:

soldier survive GIF

Nothing changes. In the NFL there is only one measure of success, winning more games than you lose.

I’m less about records and more about what the team looks like on the field. If Goff doesn’t appear to be regressing (so we don’t have to burn a first round pick on a QB), the OL looks stout and can control the LOS and the defense looks improved, I’m happy. Not sure after the last season, how people actually think a winning season is possible.

I’m a Lions fan—just give me some hope for the future. Show me that we have made a good choice in head coach and GM.

1 Like

At this point, I’ll settle for not having to hear from people who think tanking is a reasonable idea.

2 Likes

To see Goff and the young players play good. If they do next year watch out NFL, because we got a young team with money to spend.

Actually, salary cap wise we will be ranked 18th in cap space next year according to spotrac. Some guys with big contracts could be on the block though… Goff (depending on how this year goes /draft next year) Flowers, Collins, Vai tai, etc.

I don’t have an easy answer at the moment. I knew the schedule would be tough with the NFC West and AFC North on it, but when I looked at it yesterday, it became real, especially the first 3 teams we face coming out of the gate.

Even with all the good news since January, I initially got sucked back into the dark history of the Lions. Yet quick turn-arounds happen, and that could be the case for the Lions. If…if Alim, Levi and Michael can fundamentally change our D from passive to aggressive, and if the O Line springs our running game, we could put a dent in the gauntlet before us. Might could.

There is no metric for me, just a continuation of the competency we witnessed over the past few months

1 Like

We haven’t witnessed any such thing. We’ve witnessed the hope of it, the possibility of it.

We’re shroediger’s lions right now…both competent and useless