What do y'all think of Trey Lance?

Phil Simms says that you can always tell how good a quarterback is by the size of his trunk. So which qb has the biggest ass? That’s who we draft.

You’re very perceptive because that’s exactly my feeling. :grinning: It’s seems like it’s a good year to be picking 7th and needing a QB.

I guess folks are excited about Lance’s mobility in the OPs video, because I don’t see any of the passing acumen that a QB needs to be success at the NFL level. It appears to show some nice touch on deep patterns, but that’s it.

Just Bombs productions seems to match exactly what this video is showing.

Well, Sermon is not a fast RB and Fields ran a straight line while Sermon went sideways and then turned up.
I’m gonna stick with a 4.5-4.6 range at the combine workout thingy.

Simms peaking in the showers again?

2 Likes

Well that suprises me. I don’t think Fields is too thin, but when I watch him he looks long and lopey while Lance is a thicc boy. We’ll just have to agree to disagree on the zip on their respective passes, though, it’s not like I don’t think Fields’s arm is strong enough, in fact I think it’s above average, I just don’t think it’s as strong as Lance’s, who I think really has a gun.

As for leadership I did try and qualify it with we really don’t know anything, and I didn’t feel as though I listed anything terribly negative about Fields because I honestly don’t know, just the positive stuff I’d heard about Lance.

Fields did go Vegan before this year. It’s possible that he’s dropped some weight but he’s at least 215-220 still.

I do like Lance a ton though I’m not that familiar. Get some very strong Dak vibes.

Fields is tricky in terms of comps.

1 Like

I wouldn’t know that part. I have seen Fields throw some absolute lasers though. Especially to beat cover two.

I think they are both great prospects and are better pro prospects IMO than some guys that have gone #1OA in the last decade.

Fields is like a more mobile and dynamic Watson at his best IMO.

Watson is the one I thought of as well. Watson has more wiggle but Fields is bigger, stronger, faster and with a much bigger arm. I think Watson is more of a magician from an instincts and evading the rush POV.

But Watson had that rise-to-the-occasion, championship stuff. I agree that Fields is a better physical specimen, but watching Watson will his team to a title, you just knew he had it.

I’d agree with that. You could say Clemson was OSU’s super bowl after last year, which I would, and that Fields came back into that game with maybe broken ribs and willed his team to victory, but he didn’t do it on the stage Watson did.

Lance is a long term development project. If this is the guy they like, grab a veteran and hope he develops.

Competition is meaningless in today’s game. If you can play you can play. If you can process information quickly and you’re accurate, Competition doesn’t matter. Jt barrett and haskins played against superior talent but both are bust. Josh Allen played against trash Competition but he’s excelling.

Seems like a great prospect. His skills fit the modern NFL game very well.

The Omaha native finished his NDSU career with a 49-3 record as a starter, which is an FCS record. Stick won two national championships as a starter and was named to multiple 2018 All-American teams. He also won every game he started when Wentz went down.

THIS guy, same team, didn’t go until the 5th round. Watch him move around in the pocket. His only downside is that he’s 6’1". I’d take Easton all day long over Trey Lance.

Allen has been a spaz all day. He is big and fast, but more importantly not elusive in the pocket at all and can’t keep his eyes downfield. He has been exposed.

Thing about Lance is he had one great season in maybe the 6th best conference in the country, but can’t read defenses - and didn’t have to because his receivers were generally open and if his 1st option wasn’t there he could run.

I like his arm, accuracy and mobility but he didn’t play ranked teams and can’t read defenses. That’s not Top-10 to me (or even 1st round).

They ran for around 200 yards a game too, makes it easier to throw when you can run. They are probably in the toughest conference conference in the country though, look how many teams make it to the playoffs every year.

Watson wouldn’t have beaten 2021 Alabama. No freaking way.

I love Watson. Loved him coming out. Not sure that I prefer Fields to the college version of Watson. But that Alabama offense :eyes: