What does the ideal draft strategy look like for you right now?

Who are the QBs of 23 right now?

Bryce young
Dg ugalelie

That’s it really

Maybe tuas younger brother?

Rattler?

I think it looks even worse but that can change.

I think this guy will declare…and is gonna rocket up boards…

Also…take into account…how it will look if Holmes passes on QB and these guys go onto success while we are stuck in the mud with goff…

1 Like

If we went off the presumed strength of the draft:

1a Edge or S
1b Edge, LB, or QB
2 WR or QB

Suddenly I want 5 picks in the 1st 40.

“Ideal” for me is that we emerge from the 1st with a righteous Edge prospect and that one of our favorite QBs is there at the top of the 2nd. Your other 1st, then, would either be Hamilton at the top or one of the off-ball LB favorites at the bottom of the 1st.

1 Like

Stroud is draft eligible in 2023 as is Bryce Young and the kid out of Clemson and Richardson the Florida QB.

If you take a QB in the first couple of rounds, you better be pretty damn sure he’s better than Jared Goff. I’m not so sure on most of these guys. My favorite of the bunch is Pickett. He of the small hands. At least I get to say “Oh my God, they killed Kenny!” Years of game day thread enjoyment there.

5 Likes

Have not watched anyone really except young and stroud.

That’s funny

I wouldn’t tie myself to any position with any pick in the draft. This roster is not in a place to lock ourselves out of better talent based on the position. Do I see us taking an OT or a TE early, no, but I do think we will go mostly BPA. We need talent in the worst way. Right now I’d be trying to figure out a way to get Hutch and Kyle Hamilton.

2 Likes

We need a QB and chances are there is a franchise QB in this draft. Trade back and get one. Hopefully… There have been tons of draft classes where experts complain about a lack of a standout at QB, so they say it’s not worth picking one. They said to pass on Stafford and take Bradford or McCoy in the next “loaded” class. Experts said that mahomes and Watson were raw, later 1st round type players. Please don’t pass on a talented prospect at the most important position because the grass might be greener next year.

1 Like

I think rushing to judgment is a mistake bc it turns out parsons actually did nothing wrong……

I like London, big body for red zone, along with Hock.

I also wouldn’t mind trying to package #33 & #65 to trade up for Indy’s #20 & 7th to grab Nakobe Dean, if he’s still there.

#10A Hutch DE
#20 Dean LB
#24 London WR

1 Like

ok after the Lions Vikes game, I think the staff will be ‘more’ inclined just to keep Goff @QB-than to draft one.my thought is/we can move the football we would be better at that with a ‘key’ WR, that gets separation, can get YAC, and can make tough catches. that will go a long way on offense. On Defense we need pass rush (hope we can land Hutch), but we need a solid Safety, solid LB, and maybe refine /replace Decker’s spot to help Goff to.

I have DE, LB, #1 WR, S, plus Decker remove and replace(he’s just injured too often)…OT.

There’s been plenty of draft classes where that wasn’t true.

On the flip side, please don’t draft the next Ponder/Locker/Harrington/Paxton/Freeman/Boller/Haskins/Lock/Rosen/Darnold/Jones/Manuel/Russell/Weeden/Manziel/Kolb/Stanton/Bortles/Mariota/Grossman/Claussen/Goff/etc… just because you need a QB. It sets the franchise back five years.

1 Like

Interesting to look back at this poll from March 28 and see who voted for who. Sewell not one of the options, so I guess the pollster assumed he wouldn’t be available at the pick. Micah Parsons and Ja’Marr Chase leading the poll, maybe the Den should take over drafting for the Lions.

3 Likes

Character concerns for Parsons I think held him back. DC seems to be building a really good locker room and Sewell is a good addition on and off the field.

I’m happy with the pick, but I think the Lions could have traded down (Holmes mentioned an offer for #7 and #10) and may have gotten Slater and Parsons which is >> Sewel alone

1 Like

Another thing about that poll is the QBs are easily the biggest duds on there. Things that make you go hmm.

I would have taken #10 and #15 as well… but I don’t see how that trade was possible. No team had 2 picks that high.

Also… that type of drop from #7 to #10 is more likely to get a 2nd round pick at best… which I would have considered.

1 Like

Honestly, I don’t think there has ever been a time where the majority on the board liked the idea of drafting a QB. Not sure why, but i think lions fans tend to like the underdogs, and so maybe they like to put trust in guys that work there way up from being lower draft picks, or free agents or something. Or just a preference for building defense or the line rather than the QB. I seem to recall a lot of people wanting to give harrington more time, guys who though jeff garcia would be good enough, or jon kitna, or Daunte Culpepper, etc. The curry over stafford had a lot of supporters, and then last year, a lot of members arguing against the idea of drafting one of what I believe was a strong QB class. Personally, I think we made a big mistake not taking jones or fields and going with the lesser impact OT. Especially when we are in a long term rebuild.

A trade down for two first round picks in the top 15 was an impossibility.

At best, the Lions would’ve gotten an additional 1st Rd pick in 2022.

Now, this year may be different with both the Jets and Giants holding what look like they will be two top 10 picks each.

The Eagles will have three 1st Rd picks, but they’ve been dropping by the week as Indy and the Dolphins have been on a hot streak lately.

Totally agree.

Goff has proven that he can be a plus-level starter in the NFL when he has decent WR and an offensive scheme that isn’t hot garbage.

He’s also shown that he’s not a Peyton Manning or Erin type that can will a cruddy team to victories. He needs a decent OL, decent running game, and decent WR to deliver.

We know where he lives in that bracket. We also know that we’ve got a good OL locked down, promising RBs, and resources to go get a legit WR corps.

Any rookie is a gigantic question mark. They all have enormous downside - as in, they could totally flame out. There’s also the time factor… you could draft the next Ryan Tannehill who isn’t successful until after you get rid of him. Even if he’s successful, he could be Jared Goff or Carson Wentz successful. Good, but with limitations. Very few are of the Patrick Mahomes instant stud variety, and it’s clear even the best talent evaluators don’t know who those guys are. If they did, guys like Mahomes, Erin, and Wilson wouldn’t have lasted as long as they did in their drafts.

For 2022, I think the logical course of action is to add talent elsewhere. Lots of holes to fill, might as well spend resources trying to fill those rather than a moonshot at a QB. If Goff is a skid mark in 2022, you’ve still got plenty of draft resources to address the position in '23.

1 Like

“If Goff is a skid mark…”

I think we already know there’s no plan b. You draft one in the mid rounds, and even if he only makes a serviceable backup, that’s just fine. That’s one of our biggest team needs. If I were team owner, and you tell me your plan is to walk into '22 with Goff and Boyle… I’d fire you on the spot.

Goff hasn’t earned an uncontested position, and not by a long shot. As of today, he’s one of the worst starters in the league at his position.

Stroud has better receivers than he will have on most NFL teams. Still managed two losses. Alabama should have two losses with superior talent than their opponents. Either one of these guys may falter next year, just the same as this year’s crop. Ridder definitely looks the part of an NFL qb. I’d love to take a shot with him.

I’m having a hard time understanding the desire to upgrade every other position and trying to win a Super Bowl Dilfer style. We could barely sniff the playoffs with Stafford and a strong defense. That path is too hard.

I like us for a DE, QB, and WR with the first three picks. And it seems fairly likely that the draft will align with those positions, as it looks right now.

1 Like