What does the ideal draft strategy look like for you right now?

Wes has posted the stats on this before, but the gist of it is that drafting a QB after round 2 or 3 is essentially flushing the pick down the toilet. Teams don’t groom backups.

One team - Indianapolis - has a “groomed” backup that they drafted. Two if you count Mason Rudolph for PIT, who could just as well fall into the “heir apparent” category.

Pretty much everyone else has a washed-out vet starter (Trubisky, Gino Smith, Chad Henne, etc.). If it’s a young guy, it’s usually someone picked up off the street.

Drafting a quarterback is a “go big or go home” sort of thing, I think. I’m fine going big in 2023 if we need to do so, but I think it’s worth the very low risk to see if we don’t have to.

Indy doesn’t have a 1st round pick.

Wentz has played 854 snaps and the Colts have 4 games left. He would have to miss all 4 games… and the Colts would have to run over 70 plays per game for the Eaglrs to not get their 1st round pick.

Colts have run 70+ plays only 3 times this year with Wentz… so they definitely wouldn’t be runni g quick enough to get there without him.

It can be penciled in now… Eagles are getting the Colts’ 1st round pick.

Thanks… forgot about that.

1 Like

Well… on the positive side… Howie Roseman isn’t afraid of trading down… even when getting a 6th round pick costs the Eagles the player they really wanted. :wink:

2 Likes

OT, DE, S, WR, LB…think they hang onto Goff in 2022.

Your way is way we did in past spend spend spend then whine whine whine we over paid
Build threw draft Add couple if price is ok like the Safety from New Orleans Williams an resign or extend few like Walker an the rush OLB Harris both young an have played well.

Resign back up Center.

In draft take Hutch now we are set at rush position an may add more on the cheap Safety would be set for years also an we have depth for another year.

WR draft one high one later an look to resign Reynolds

Don’t need big time money spent until you find right players.

Stop with filling major needs with pricey players example the ones they released an even Flowers . Keep an develop your own an pick up few with right attitude to fill rest of roster.

I will take 6 hard workers who can play over your super star like Flowers . Look what Giants are paying are X WR an you want to pay that ? No way Past ways didn’t work as much as i liked some players they picked up.

They are on right track don’t piss away the cap money .

Look at who comes back from IR before draft add that to roster.

Every team has injuries so you build depth also. Draft or cheap players we did that an now hope we can keep a few like Harris an Brown an Reynolds few others.

Add them to Rag coming back with Okwara Cephus Okudah 4 starters at least an few back ups

Stafford was the problem at times though.

We just watched 2 tds and 6 picks with 3 pick 6s in three straight losses.

He beat the Bears, Texans, Jags, Giants, Seahawks and Lions…. He squeezed one out against the Colts late in the 4th, and he played like an MVP against the Bucs…

Tom Brady - 6th round backup that accidentally became the GOAT?

Erin Rodgers- he was Jordan Love as the Packers infuriated their previous HoF QB by taking Erin with a late first rounder to sit the bench for 3 full years before letting Favre walk?

Russell Wilson- a 3rd round pick on the heels of a huge free agency deal given to Matt Flynn. Seattle was in the midst of a Hasslebeck to pasture, Tavares Jackson fail, Charlie Whitehurst mess, and ultimately they tried to turn Flynn in Scott Mitchell?? Fortunately a 5’11” transfer QB came out at age 24, and fell to round 3, and turned into an “insta-star” and HoF QB.

Drew Brees- 2nd rounder, had more picks than TDs in first two seasons. Never felt like the guy in SD, then they draft his replacement. Has a few decent years and blows up his shoulder right before being a FA. The Lions and Dolphins shy away, and the Saints go all in. So I guess strategy here is give a huge UFA deal to a second rounder with injury concerns from another team.

Peyton Manning- have the winning lotto ticket in the perfect year? Although- build a great defense and then sign him in his twilight to win just as many SBs as he won in his entire tenure in Indy? SO IN THIS CASE SIGN A 39 YEAR OLD HALL OF FAMER SEEMS TO WORK JUST AS WELL AS DRAFTING THAT SAME PLAYER #1 OVERALL.

I guess we can try and explain Watson, T Lance, T Lawrence, Z Wilson, Darnold, Mahomes, Rosen, Murray, Mayfield, D Jones, J Winston, J Allen, Marriott, Bortles, Goff, Wentz, etc.

There is no plan for QB. Build the best roster, and then find the best QB you can.

Mac Jones was drafted mid first to a ready built team that won 7 games last year with a QB who threw “8” tds all year.

PLEASE READ- in fact I think we maybe should use New England as the blue print? Too soon on the fatty patty front, sorry…. Truly though- the Pats have done it with #1 overall Drew, 6th round Brady, Matt Cassel, Jimmy G, J Brissett, Cam Newton, and now Mac Jones…. Each has a better career winning percentage that Stafford….

Bortles, Marriota, Winston, Wentz, GOFF, Trubisky, Baker, Darnold, K Murray, Burrow, Tua, Lance, Z Wilson, Lawrence…. REALLY LOOK AT THIS LIST!!! Top 5 overall QBs since 2014

14 bullets fired- 7 already on different teams!!! Only Murray is a sure Pro Bowler-

1 Like

1OAHutch
1.2x-WR on the London/Burks/ Williams/Olave continuum
2.33 Safety

Assuming Anzone/Barnes isn’t as big a hole as we felt before.

If they are then 1.2x is a ILB and 2.33 is hopefully tasty WR leftovers

I dont think there is one player I mentioned that will be considered high cost.

Marcus William’s will be costly. And I’d be fine with that.

I’d add Auden Tate as a physical 50/50 ball guy. He will cost at max like 3 million.

Maybe we add Gallup or Chark with him…those guys are around 6-10 million per year I’m guessing…

I don’t think that is a lot.

Marcus William’s will cost probably 15 million a year alone. And I’m fine with that because hes a good player.

Every team has to spend to complete a roster and fill spots. I don’t think there is one team that is built entirely through the draft.

I think 5 years 14,mil with a buy out after 3… The question is one Safety worth that kind cap right now?
We are not one or two players away why not resign Walker an draft one this draft or maybe two one later. Marlowe played for a Million this season .
I Like age of Walker also he should as rest of d improves be even better. First i try to Sign Walker before i hand out 15 mil to Williams ever if we could get him.

How about Walker for 5 years at 25 mil ? an a high draft pick an look for cheap experienced older one.

I would like us to sign Walker and bring in free agent safety help…meaning sign Walker and William’s. But maybe they fill another need in free agency and draft a safety? I have no clue how they plan on filling needs and holes.

Walker I’d bring back for sure.

I still say we need a qb…so that will likely be drafted with one of our 1sts in my opinion.

So we have these needs

EDGE
S
Wr
Rg
Lb

To me, one of our 1sts will be used on qb.

So…5 positions groups, and 4 to 5 picks (assuming we get a 3rd comp) to fill them, plus free agency.

1oa. Hutch
1b. QB

Fill safety and WR in free agency

Try to trade up for LB Devon lloyd…(maybe?)…if not there could fill LB in FA…or maybe land a Brandon Smith in the draft. Issue with Smith is he is a great pass rusher…I’d be inclined to stick him on the edge and move him all around.

Now we have RG and lb to fill

Team isnt far off with the cap space we have and draft picks.

If we could trade down that may be worth it depending the return

Re sign renoylds Find a wr in free agency to start and draft a wr top of 3rd. Go bluebin rd 1

Hutch at 1
Hill with other 1st
Best lb left at top of 2nd.

A playmaker at all 3 levels of defense in this draft.

Sign a free agent safety so that hill is 3rd safety his rookie yr

1 Like

What are your plans for QB?

Wait till next draft for qb.

Your plan is to have Goff starting in 2022 and at least part of 23?

After 22 we can gain cap space by release goff…I think a rookie should sit a year before starting. Do you plan on keeping Goff in 23 as well? Or releasing him after 22 and starting a rookie right away?

You think the offer was #10 and #11 or #12 for #7? You don’t really believe that, do you? It was probably #10 and a 3rd. You’re not getting Parsons+Slater, obviously, with that trade package.

The character concerns were blown out of proportion by teams who wanted to draft Parsons IMO. There really wasn’t much there.

1 Like

My preferred draft strategy:

Top of the first - One of those elite edge rushers, either Hutchinson or Thibodeaux.

Rams’ pick - Pray Nakobe Dean is still there after Devin Lloyd is picked higher. Either one of those two would be a perfect fit on the Lions – rangy, fast, play-making LBs that would make the ones we already have better. But there’s a high likelihood that both will already be gone by this pick; then I might go with the best WR, S or CB available. One of the QBs is in play here, too, if the Lions are enamored with one of them.

Top of 2nd - If you didn’t get your #1 WR at the Rams pick; get him here. If you did, we’re back to one of the QBs.

My plan is draft a qb in 23

Go with goff for another yr with a better wr room.