What Keeps You Going?

And that’s why you are my Agent!!!

Eddie Murphy Hug GIF

2 Likes

I have tons of respect for all the hardcore fans out there. It’s not easy being a Lions fan, it takes some real courage.

I compare the Lions to a crazy ex g/f you just keep getting back together with because you remember the few good times you had together back in 1991. It’s not healthy, you should really move on, but you keep crawling back to her at the slightest glimmer of hope or that she’s changed.

I’ll admit, I don’t care nearly as much as I used to. I’ve become numb to all the losing. I used to watch every second of every game, now I just turn the game off when shit hits the fan. Yesterday, I turned it off at halftime when we were down 17-0, I can see by the final score the 2nd half went very well for the Eagles, lol.

I’ll always be a Lions fan, but the losing has taken it’s toll and the way that Goodell and the owners are running the NFL makes me question whether we should even support them anymore.

2 Likes

This post has a ton of parallels to how I get down.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your comments. Very interesting stories.

More proof Lions fans are the absolute best!

2 Likes

I was actually discussing this last night.

The Lions have reached an almost metaphysical plane of ineptitude. We’ve transcended bad luck and poor management to reach a level of failure that defies logical explanation.

We are so bad that our failings take on an air of “spooky action at a distance” that can only be found in theoretical physics and theology.

That’s what makes being a Lions fan fun. Success and failure are irrelevant compared to the bizarre path we’ll take to get to any given outcome.

In fact, success and failure lose all meaning! We’ll undoubtedly win a game that will cost us the pick we’d need to turn things around! Or, we’ll lose our way into a #1 pick that will, against all prediction, be an utter bust!

“Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loose’d upon the world…”

Other fans can keep their predictable rhythms of wins and losses, good years and bad. We Lions fans get to explore the very mystery of faith!

6 Likes

Might sound funny , but back when I was five I decided that Detroit was my favorite team and I said I’d never leave it. I never followed another team until Matty went to LA…watch them on occasion.
I get pissed off, and fed up and TIRED of us losing, I just want to know WHY they can’t win chit in 60 years. I don’t get hyped or sucked in, but man when we got our staff I bit hard and now I’m royally pissed at the outcome. I get we have a sad-sack team, but they slapped it together and I feel we SHOULD win a few games…BUT again, we are NOT … ALWAYS seems like other teams have their crap together, while we look like monkey’s fu^%##%ing a football all the damn time. you bet there are times I’m hanging by a thread…I would-be doing other things , but once again…my life was nearly taken. I can’t drive and I’m recovering the best I can.

3 Likes

This is probably not an answer that will please a lot of folks here, and may not even be possible for plenty of you. But for me, the simple answer is that I just don’t care that much anymore.

It’s not that I don’t want Detroit to succeed, or that I don’t want to talk about the team. I’m a mod here, I obviously do! But at this point, I no longer live and die with every game the way I used to, or even really make sure I’m able to watch every game the way I used to. I just… make other plans on Sundays. I set my DVR, I check ESPN on my phone, and if it looks like an entertaining game, I’ll turn it on. But I don’t expect the Lions to be contending for anything, and haven’t expected that in several years, so I’m just not really emotionally invested in it when they don’t.

For this new regime especially, from ownership on down, I thought they were very clear from the get-go that they’d be tearing everything down. Well, I know what that means. And as much as I was crossing my fingers that the more optimistic folks on here would prove right about this team’s ability to surprise us, I was expecting this to be a really bad year on the field, likely with 3 wins or less. The fact that the Lions are looking even worse than that, IMO, is mostly the result of injuries to a roster that was going to be way overmatched versus any NFL opponent to begin with.

The upshot is, while I agree that it’s pathetic to get spanked like that on national TV, it’s not THAT much worse than I was expecting, and I’m not ready to fire everybody for putting a bad product on the field, when they basically told us explicitly that’s what they would be doing.

Next year, they don’t get a pass. Next year, I expect to see a roster that’s competitive and playing around .500 ball. And if they can’t do that, then at that point, I’ll start listening to calls to get rid of everybody, and maybe I’ll join them. For now though, my advice is simple: Focus on your fantasy team, make other plans for Sundays, record the games but don’t plan to watch them. And no matter what else you do, for god’s sake, do NOT try to root for Michigan to get your football fix. You’ll just want to kill yourself even more.

9 Likes

Wonderful advice! Life is too short to be miserable because of the Lions.

3 Likes

Exactly this. Fantasy football keeps me interested until the lions pull through or I die. Even money at this point. And I am 45

3 Likes

I don’t watch, there’s no reason to do so. Next year will be better but expecting a .500 or else scenario is just asking for it. This is a shit show because it was always going to be a shit show. There is simply too much wrong to think there is a quick fix. I spent yesterday on the Stanford campus viewing the Anderson collection as well as checking out their collection of Rodin sculptures, which includes “The Gates of Hell”. Beers at “The Dogpatch Saloon” and then on to Potrero Hill for beers at “Blooms Saloon”.

2 Likes

I can’t say I’m really “going” anymore. I’ve mostly moved on as far as being invested in the team game by game. For me I look at them more as the team I grew up with that I keep an eye on and love it when they win. But overall, while I grew up with them…I have largely grown out of them. I’m invested in the fanbase and the friends I’ve made here over the years.

I think this is part of the straw that broke the camel’s back with me. It was one thing back when we complained we didn’t win ENOUGH games. But now we don’t win ANY games. The stretches between wins are absolutely back breakers. For perspective, its November and we still haven’t won a game. Even if we win our next game, that means our first win came in mid-November. No wins in September, no wins in October and 1 win in the middle of November. So that’s 2.5 months without a single victory. In 2012 we only won 4 games. But we only went 1 month without knowing what victory felt like. We won in September, October and November. We just didn’t win in December. Taking it a step further, I will present to you Marinelli’s 3-13 team. We won in October, November and December. We just didn’t win in September. The Bears win in 2020 barely saved that year. But even then we only experienced victory 1 time over a 7 week span. The 2019 team won 1 game over a 14 week span.

Tying it back to the 2021 team. We have opened the season losing 8 straight games and have already passed months where we didn’t win a single game. This follows the 2020 season where we only had 1 win in the last 7 weeks. So right now we are sitting on 1 win in the last 15 weeks of NFL football for the Lions. And since our next victory can’t be until 2 weeks from now…we are basically looking at a team who has won 1 game in the last 17 weeks of NFL football. And if you keep digging back, we are talking about a team that has won 6 games in the last 39 weeks of NFL football or 9 wins in the last 49 weeks of NFL football.

I’m going to repeat that part for emphasis. The last 49 Sunday’s that you sat down to watch NFL football, only 9 of them did the Lions actually win that weekend.

3 Likes

Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

4 Likes

See, this is exactly what everybody should be doing! Or, like pick some activity or some subject that you always wanted to learn about, and commit to using a few hours on Sunday afternoons to pursue your passion. Why the hell not? As @stephenboyd57 said, life is too short to let the Lions make you miserable.

If you want to be optimistic, you can look at it this way: pretty soon, every Sunday afternoon will be appointment viewing, so you might as well take advantage of those extra hours now. In a couple years, it’ll be all Lions all the time, and you’ll wish you could find time for anything else between all that winning…

3 Likes

Really liked this entire post. I’m the same, but to a lesser extent. You have a healthier relationship with the Lions than I do, but I’m working on it. LOL

The guys that thought we’d win 6 or 8 (like me) were completely full of shit.
Turns out, so were the guys that were thinking we’d get 3 wins. LOL

4 Likes

I’ve actually lost a lot of interest in the NFL in the last few years. I mean it’s hard to watch craptacular football and then even more depressing to watch another team and go ‘so THAT’S what good football looks like’

and I refuse to give a penny to the NFL to be able to watch something out of market the way they’ve fucked the lions over thru the years.

3 Likes

Wesley, ouch. Those stats are painful to see in print.

Incredible.

1 Like

Holy MF’n shit.
Makes me want to see the suicide rate of Lions fans vs other franchises. WOW

1 Like

Hope. They are my team. My Grandpa cursed me with being a Lions fan and I will be one forever.

2 Likes

And best looking.

1 Like

Hope. I grew a Lions fan as a child in Flint in the 60s and 70s. Moved away in the mid-eighties for a job after college. Actually moving back to Michigan (Grand Haven area) after retiring at the end of the year.

Plus, I like to drink on the weekends. The Lions seem to enable that perfectly.