What, Mr Brugler?

Trading up with the Packers at #15 for #18 and 48 to get Anthony Richardson? I hate you for today only.

2 Likes

Anyone mocking a 1st round QB to Detroit should go on your ignore list for 3 months.

I don’t care their credentials, they’ve not watched the Lions or they’ve not given them any more consideration past their 2021 analysis yet.

16 Likes

Thanks to his size, athleticism and arm, Anthony Richardson is a total freak show with a high ceiling, but he’s still figuring out how to be a consistent passer. Jared Goff’s presence would let Detroit develop Richardson at his own pace.

Here’s what I don’t get: Goff is only 28. Who trades considerable draft equity to pick a developmental QB (especially after the Lance fiasco in SF) in the first ■■■■■■■ round, when your QB1 position is solid? Especially when the Lions were a better Baker Mayfield pass away from making the playoffs along w/ some noise, and can only get that much stronger with needed help at DT and CB, where they’ll have options in this draft?

Brugler mailed this one in.

11 Likes

I will never complain about taking a chance on an upside QB. Unless you’ve got one of the top 5 QBs in the league, I think you should always be trying to upgrade. If Richardson doesn’t work out and we decide to stick with Goff, we can still trade him for a 1st rounder. Even Josh Rosen, after a terrible rookie season, brought back a 2nd rounder. And if you hit on Josh Allen 2.0, well then you’ve just stumbled on the most valuable commodity in football.

Brugler’s mocks aren’t usually based as much on what he would do as what he’s hearing, and everyone knows we sent scouts to watch 5 or 6 Florida games. Sure they had other prospects, but the odds are pretty good it was to watch Richardson. And we’re a good spot for him, he could sit behind Goff.

Would I make the trade? Hell no. If I wanted Richardson I’d sit tight and hope he fell, and if not I’d pivot. But I won’t complain about the pick itself.

4 Likes

Jeff Risdon also mocked Richardson to the LIons in his latest mock.

I am all aboard on Richardson to Detroit bandwagon. Seems like a really good fit as we have a decent QB to let him develop under without pressure and we can put some nice subpackages in with him too.

2 Likes

I do hate the idea of giving up draft capital beyond the pick itself. .

1 Like

That’s slightly more understandable, since there’s no trade involved, but I’d still be shocked. Unless they’re planning to be players in FA, you have too many needs at defense to get greedy on a developmental QB that is far from a sure thing.

1 Like

Maybe treat him initially as a Tyson Hill type gadget guy?

Yeah I wouldn’t say I’m on that bandwagon exactly, but I’d give a friendly wave as you rolled by. I just don’t have a problem with the pick, and I do think Richardson offers a lot as a prospect. There are other ways I would go first, but I wouldn’t hate the pick at all.

3 Likes

He is known to me and my local buddies as Dane Bramage and has been for a long time

2 Likes

I’m struggling with it a lot too. Of course, I was never a huge Goff fan. He played well this year, there is no questioning that. But the future is a projection so its about how much faith they have in Goff moving forward. How much faith they have in Goff if Johnson leaves? How enamored are they with Richardson? They very much know the answers to these questions by now. It weird, I just didn’t get the same takeaways as a lot of other people did in Brad Holmes end of season presser. Its easier to get worse at QB, true. But what does that really mean? It doesn’t necessarily mean they are 100% in on Goff. It means they aren’t just going to dump him. It means (to me) that you better pay more attention to that position and not less. A guy like Richardson is a threat to Goff, but probably not an immediate one. Maybe Campbell can make that work in the locker-room. But I definitely think locker-room chemistry is a strong argument by the pro-Goff crowd. What are you really saying to Goff with this pick? Its a fine line to walk.

I actually think its more likely they take Richardson at 6 than 18. Just because I would rather have that extra pick than pick something else at 6 (Brugler scenario). But it depends on so much in terms of players available and how they view their potential…draft season just getting started.

1 Like

Also I dont see Sir Lance-light as some unique proto-unicorn, and as such, especially given the styles predominating college football, a guy like him is available often in the mid/late 1st going forward…

Use dem premium beans for the NOW window, not the 3 years from now window.

Take all the developmental Barnes-y and Rodrigo like LBs for the 3 year window in the late rounds.

2 Likes

That’s my exact beef. Pick #48 is very valuable for us.

3 Likes

Although I agree, Goff played great, but we have seen far crazier things happen in the nfl. Like WR’s in 4 straight first rounds, lol or several 1st round TE’s. #neverforget

1 Like

By the way, I would not freak if Christian Gonzalez is the pick at 6, if his measureables confirm what I see. He certainly would fill a need.

2 Likes

Yeah precisely. Though I do have to say if I was asked “would Brad make that trade?,” I’d have to answer “maybe?”. If he identifies a guy he likes he seems to be aggressive going after him.

That Holmes presser… the answers and body language… Goff is his guy like Sewell and St Brown are.

6 Likes

Listening to Detroit Lions Podcast, Risdon explains that stance using examples like Andy Dalton, who have peak years, and then revert back to their baseline for the duration. Drafting a future guy with upside is insurance against regression to the mean.

It’s a little different with Goff, since Dalton had a more stable, lower baseline, with a couple exceptional years. Goff’s regression would be back to a 20 TD/12 INT kind of guy, maybe. It’s not a perfect analogy. But the idea is you can neither assume Goff maintains this current level, nor can you assume he regresses. What you can do is provide an option, and not get bent over a barrel in negotiating with Goff’s agent in a couple years, by having no viable backup or alternative. Drafting a guy provides leverage and an exit option.

When Brad says it’s far easier to get worse at the qb position, Risdon posits that to include Goff getting worse. It’s an insightful listen, and even hints at Stafford details I hadn’t heard, regarding refusal to accept a viable backup being the reason we didn’t draft one for 7 years.

5 Likes

Well of course he’s going to say that. Don’t show any of your cards. For the record, I don’t see the Lions taking a 1st round QB. But, I bet we draft a QB this year somewhere in the draft. And nothing would ever surprise me. Trading up to draft an injured Jamo last year, who saw that coming!?

2 Likes

Yep, we are just witnesses to his greatness.