What, Mr Brugler?

AG’s in the background cheering, as Dane and the Den just issued him another free pass by using 2 of the top 4 picks on a QB that won’t play for 2 years.

I’d be extremely surprised. I expect the Lions to use their first and second round picks on pure measureables guys, mostly on D. I do think they’ll grab a QB they believe can be a solid backup and developmental guy, but given Brad’s penchant for finding quality players in every round, why would he burn a 1st rounder for that?

I also think, whether they say it publicly or not, they want to show Goff the love after the year he just had. Why make him think you’re drafting his replacement right as he’s heading into the final 2 years of his contract? They’ll take a QB, but I’ll be surprised if it’s higher than 3rd or 4th round. MAYBE the late 2nd at the earliest.

7 Likes

While I have no issue with the pick, I am not a fan of trading up to get him. I can understand if Holmes and Campbell feel different, but man the talent that could help this team that they could get in the 2nd makes this very hard to accept.

I am a firm believer that the Lions will get a rookie QB this season, and I do not see why they shouldn’t. While I do see holes on the team, I do not see enough that every pick has to go to fill one. Especially since most of the holes I see are at depth with only a few at starters (CB, DT, OG). Now I will say that I see where they might be able to upgrade, though IMO the backup QB is at or near the top of that list.

I would say that the only pick that I am not expecting a possible QB is 6 OA. I see them getting another solid piece for the team at that spot.

It really shows that none of the mass media guys actually pay attention to the Lions and actual team needs

3 Likes

I was thinking more like mid round developmental QB.

2 Likes

I have zero issue grabbing a QB in the 6th.

Dane’s mock has them trading up higher in the 1st like last year. This is the maneuver that turns 2 of our top-4 picks into a developmental QB.

4 Likes

It’s a good point. Arguably St Brown is the key cog in that offense. With Goff he had the best rookie WR season in franchise history, they worked together in the off-season and as a sophomore he became a top 5 receiver in the league

An argument has been made here by many that the QB is largely responsible for the productivity of the WR

1 Like

The Goff to St. Brown connection is special, you don’t see that everyday. We have seen Goff having issues with Chark and Jamo with timing and chemistry. St. Brown if he stays healthy, will have 100 catches and 1000 yards every season as long as Goff is QB. Goff and Kalif also seem to be on the same page most of the time.

2 Likes

Today I learned that Christian Gonzalez is David Blough’s brother in law and my first thought was, “Gosh.”

3 Likes
3 Likes

Would be a ridiculous move and will not happen.

1 Like

I won’t complain about any Brad picks.

2 Likes

I 100% agree, and he should be. I’ve been consistent in saying this all along, I think in another couple of years it will be even more obvious how ridiculous the the “need to replace Goff” takes are. People need to get used to it. Goff is really good and is going to be really good for a long time.

2 Likes

We appear to be building our team along the lines of Philadelphia and San Francisco. They seem to be doing just fine with a second round and a seventh round quarterback.

1 Like

This ridiculous mock finally got me to pull the trigger on making an account. I’ve been a follower of these boards since before they were on the scout network, and had an account back then and just never got around to creating a new one.

That said, I will eat my Matthew Stafford jersey if a team that is on the verge of making the playoffs, who clearly needs defensive upgrades that can contribute immediately (as in sometime this next season) decides to waste the precious draft capital that theyve worked so hard to accumulate on a QB who cant hit the broad side of barn and wont be needed for 2 full seasons. Nevermind the fact that they would be trading this precious draft capital to THE PACKERS who are finally in the twilight of their glory years. Ok, fine, they made a trade with the Vikings last year to move up, this was to grab a player who they felt was the best in the draft at his position who would be ready to learn and contribute later that year. I would stomach a trade up for Bijan better than I would for this!

13 Likes

Welcome!

Nice first post.
Welcome to the board.
I agree 100%, but, you probably already know that, being a lurker and all.:rofl:

Longtime lurker comin in hot! Wooo!

Post more bud! Yeah!

4 Likes

Thanks guys, I havent felt the need to chime in much because I’m not nearly as knowledgeable as many of the posters here. Just been a lifelong Lions fan since the Barry days. These past two seasons have been the first time the passion came back for the team and league in general in about 5 years, I checked out hard during the Patricia years. So, since the juices are flowing again, I figure that I might as well chime in every once in a while!

6 Likes