What’s your expectation for James Houston

Haha! Maybe he was scared to say the Lions name, like Voldemort or something!

2 Likes

are you talking about the one that lasted under a minute? Or is there a different one? Yes, that short one showed how much these guys care for one another.

It’s one of the after game interviews. It starts with Hutch.
He starts around 7:30.

5 Likes

thanks, brother.

1 Like
8 Likes

What if Houston shaves his head?

Ho-lee-fuuuck!!!

3 Likes

Maybe so

It’s crazy but
What’s his worth ? jJ watt was a $100 million when he was doing this

Hoie Lee Fuk… that was fun to watch.

Lions rookies kicking ass, I must be dreaming again. Thx for sharing brother!

And he didn’t even include Paschal who was kicking ass last week.

7 Likes

It shouldn’t. It should either replace or require a change for our DC….

Da Problem is very similar in frame to James Harrison…

Commish/Paschal
McNeill/Buggs
Hargrave/Levi O/Benito

Houston/JOK
AA/Rodrigo
J Campbell/Barnes
Hutch/C Harris

We add Javon Hargrave, and a 3rd round rookie in Jack Campbell…. I love that front seven…. The DL stays fresh, doesn’t rely on Levi, but he could add to it?

We add a 243 lb linebacker who can tackle and cover

We keep Houston as a rush edge…. We move Hutch around in a 2 pt like TJ Watt.

Ringo/Jacobs
J Dean/Okudah
Walker/A Amos
K Joseph

This requires Amos, Hargrave, and J Dean in free agency, and in draft Ringo and Jack Campbell

That leaves a first for Bijan, a 2nd for RG

Hell we’d still have a 2nd left… safety? DT? WR?

2 Likes

This

1 Like

I’d suggest that you sit down with your son Derrick, and have a good man to man talk, and explain to him how his lack of attention to detail is going to hurt your family’s future income… you might need to do that se real times over a few months to get it to sink in.

Now I’m not meaning to imply that Derrick is challenged in this regard, but clearly the Entire Lions Staff thinks that he’s having a diffucult time getting up to speed on his assignments. The good news… and this should make you happy @Cap is that his snap counts are slowly rising as he slowly is acclimating to the NFL level of play! I hope Barnes keeps it up, and increases exponentially in his ability.

3 Likes

My expectation is that he’s made drafting Will Anderson a bad choice. So there’s that…

5 Likes

Watching the Lions use 3 bigger D line players (ie Alim, Buggs, Cominsky)… with Houston and Hutch as edges in base 3-4 looks… has been the most intriguing alignment to me and it seems much better suited to stopping the run plus getting pressure that can also contain mobile QBs.

It also provides a better scheme… IMO… to get Barnes on the field more… because they can use him as an effective blitzer to mix up the looks they are giving the O line… and the QB… with zone blitzes. I think Hutch and Houston have shown enough awareness to drop into short zones without being total liabilities.

This type of 3-4 base look gives them more beef against the run…
helps set the edge easier… and allows flexibility to rush 3,4, or 5 guys while disguising the coverage better than the 4-2-5 that AG has been stubbornly holding on to this year.

4 Likes

Kid is going to start to attract a lot of attention. Opponents will have to start to chip him, double him, cut him, roll away from him. What an amazing problem to have. We’ve found our blazing edge alpha we’ve always dreamt of for 2-3 decades, aka Derrick Thomas, Pat Swilling, Parsons, TJ Watt, Von. Just incredible we mined him out of the 6th round and even more impressive they coached him up for the big stage so quickly. Wash gets a lot of credit for polishing the kid up for his moonshot moment. Pretty incredible. Like, WOW!
Scarlett Johansson Reaction GIF

6 Likes

So much fun.
While part of me is just expecting Brad to find late round talent, I’m still amazed by it. How are 31 teams missing, while Holmes is not? WTF is going on here?

4 Likes

My expectations is that he would get the game ball???

Couple of things on the Houston film review posted above.
Early on the article talks about how AA had to reposition Houston as he wasn’t lining up correctly. AA didn’t have to do that in later games.

then

Houston was on the field for the first ten plays against Chicago when Fields had his big runs.
Lingering concerns — if you can call them that in light of this massive amount of production he’s put forth — are his rush discipline against mobile quarterbacks and his able to set a hard edge against the run. Lets be honest that isn’t an exclusive Houston issue although Hutch improved greatly from the first Bear’s game.

Houston is so bendy that he needs to constantly remind himself not to overrun the pocket against dual-threats. As for defending the run, the Bears didn’t often try to pound the ball Houston’s direction, but you could regularly see him getting overwhelmed by an offensive tackle when trying to anchor on the backside of the play. Do teams start to run this type at Houston when he is in there, how will do?

Those are areas meriting continued development as he grows into a potential three-down player. Otherwise, the Lions have clearly found themselves an absolute steal, who, if nothing else, has enough rush versatility to sustain his early-career success disrupting the pocket.

So, obviously kid is a steal for his pass rushing, however, the question to be answered is can he become a three down player. Prior to the Bears game he was primarily playing in obvious passing downs and doing well to understate it. Coaches have done well to put him where it’s somewhat simple, and he is producing.

5 Likes

I see where you are going with this and I think it’s a combination of both. There were a lot of 3-4 looks up front and what better QB than Fields to deploy him as a multi faceted OLB. It was fun to watch the chess match of when to drop and when to rush either him or Aiden. Now, will they deploy this same look against a QB who can actually read a defense and deliver good passes? So fired up for Sunday night!

2 Likes

Hold on there, we have a host of posters here that are BPA, but then they use their favorite phrase “positional value” to eliminate players that don’t fit their narrative. Well, if Andersen is there I expect to see some back peddling and creative reasoning as to why he shouldn’t be the choice.