What we aren’t seeing or hearing could be telling….?

…and he’s smart. He does lack elite presence. he lacks elite skills. He IS a full buy in, a great locker room guy, and a good green dot. I’m guessing Dan talks about him behind his back, “Damn it, I love this guy and how he brings it, and I sure do wish he had more talent.” Something like that.

3 Likes

And such beautiful hair!!!

2 Likes

LOL - some of my brothers would agree w/you, man (just not the most handsome ones). :muscle: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Give Barnes the extra 380 snaps and I think he would cover and exceed those numbers, get my point. I also think every other linebacker on the team would out perform Anzalone. Why isn’t Anzalone being used as the target of what to achieve in camp and on the field instead of Rodrigo, he is the locked in starter, yet they use Rodrigo as the mark, interesting.

1 Like

Honest question @Cap :

Dan Campbell seems to me to be a guy who eats, sleeps, and breathes football. He cried during a post game interview because he was so frustrated at not getting a win. Do you think this guy is going to put (in your opinion) the WORST LB on the team in a starter role, and give him the ‘green dot?’ Why? Do you think Campbell is just that bad at judging talent, or that he would knowingly sacrifice wins to get more playing time for a ‘culture guy?’ Or is it something else?

Your version does not add up to me, so I am trying to understand your perspective on why Campbell would play an ‘inferior’ player.

5 Likes

I see it as nothing worth worrying about. He’s gonna get TONS of opportunity to prove what/who he is this year. Our coaching staff is all about winning and they are extremely fair.

Whoever they start…that’s who should start.
I also believe it will ALWAYS be delivered with a subject to change"

1 Like

Alex Anzalone Hair Flip GIF by Detroit Lions

Chris Hemsworth Thor GIF by Marvel Studios

3 Likes

Last year you blamed the linebacker coach for Barnes not starting, you celebrated him losing his job on this forum. Are you now going to blame the new linebacker coach this year!? Perhaps this year you will blame AG?

You think every linebacker on the team would out perform Anzalone. So basically you think all the coaches are idiots and B. Holmes is as well for signing him.

2 Likes

Although I respect what Coach Campbell does for the most part, I think he has a bias for Anzalone. Look at the numbers that I ‘m have posted in regards to his play and answer why he is still the starting LB. His numbers are no where near Barne’s when extrapolated over the same number of snap. He may not be the worse LB on the team, I may have over stated that, but he is not the best.

Simple! Barnes had a 30.1 grade, that says it all. That is the worst score I’ve ever seen.

3 Likes

I have not blamed Sheppard, I said earlier he is toting the line, in fact I fine him to be very honest. Having a bias for a player doesn’t make you an idiot, it just makes you bias. Let’s put it this way, Anzalone missed 21 tackles last year the most in the NFL of any LB so you see my argument that he is not a very good LB is not that far fetched.You have to overlook those stats to start him this year, get my drift.

I believe all the coaches love and respect Barnes, I just don’t understand handing Anzalone a starting LB job, to me he has not earned it. I would more understand Board, Rodrigo, but I think Anzalone is a stretch.

You believe all the coaches love and respect Barnes but all you do is question them about their decisions. lol

Anzalone isn’t great by any means. He’s an average linebacker, much better vs the pass than the run. But the coaches trust him to get the defensive calls and alignment right. Campbell has called him the leader and quarterback of the defense many times the past 2 years. I trust Campbell’s assessment.

I coached high school basketball for many years and you remind me of a few dads over the years that would come ask me why their son wasn’t getting much playing time after games. They were too blinded by the love of their child to see the truth about their sons actual ability.

1 Like

Well…we know they didn’t give it to the best looking guy (what I would have done)

1 Like

The PFF grades have often been brought under scrutiny, I suggest you watch the games and dissect the stats. The Grades for Barnes and Anzalone is the perfect example of why that scrutiny exist. Again Anzalone had the most missed tackles in the league how can he out score anybody? I know what I see on the field regardless of any bodies opinion, and the only time that Anzalone out does Barnes is with a PFF grade. PFF grade won’t win you a game.

So basically you’re right, only your opinion matters. Everyone else is wrong! Including all the coaches, Got it!

5 Likes

Being question as a coach comes with the territory, I’ve been question as a coach too. One thing about it, I have always had an answer for what I do. My questioning Campbell won’t change a thing, it’s just a question. I had questions last year too, and some of my thoughts came to fruition.

Shep says he’s going from an on-the-ball LB in college to a stack LB position in the pros and that his issues are above the neck as this will take time to adjust.

Why is this a problem?

5 Likes

Yep, Coach Shep just explained in his press conference today why Barnes wasn’t playing that much last year. Cap won’t want to listen to that.

4 Likes

Find it interesting he mentioned it was “above the neck” as to why Barnes was struggling… compared to Rodriguez who studied the playbook, knew what his assignments were and came in and executed. Even that clip from Hard Knocks where Shep is calling out the LB room and said something like “y’all are doing the same drills!”

In order to play with instinct you also have to know what you’re asked to do. It’s like walking before running. You learn the playbook then can hit your assignments then instinct takes another level because you play with instinct along with fulfilling your assignments.

Rodriguez seems to have no problem with that so far - he plays with instinct and also within the scheme.

Not saying anyone hasn’t but you gotta study. The more you know, the more you grow and the game slows down and you can use your skills to the fullest

2 Likes

I don’t think Sheppard implied Barnes hadn’t studied enough. Rather he said Barnes didn’t have enough reps at what is a new position for him and would need more before recognition is automatic

He also didn’t sound quite ready to anoint Rodriguez, more that he is a bit behind Anzalone and Barnes right now. This from his discussion on Rodriguez playing second team and special teams. Yes I know, he wasn’t definite on anything

2 Likes