When do we have to make a decision on Goff?

Goff to me actually puts Lions in a Good position, because his play doesn’t keep you from drafting someone you really like but it also doesn’t force you to draft just the next guy in the draft. And if they like a guy they can develop him under Goff until he was ready.

2 Likes

I know I’m in the minority here but I truly believe Goff will be our QB for the next 5 years.

3 Likes

Idk we should have made the decision on draft day and draft Fields?

I’m very surprised this thread didn’t start off with a mention of Mr Fields.

Just imagine Mr Fields on this roster… we would been blown out in every game lol

Kenny Pickett is my guy right now from just watching him this year I a few games. Definitely not our 1st pick.

I like Carson Strong and Pickett the best in this draft. But not in the top 5 picks. Wouldn’t mind Carson Strong at 1b and Romeo Doubs in Rd 2. These two have a connection like Barrow and Chase. And he could play behind Goff till he’s ready.

Yea I don’t see a QB going in the top 10. But it’s still early and who knows. I love the idea of finding a Qb/Wr connection!

If I’m going to take a qb this year to sit and develop him I think I’d rather take correll. The kid from Mississippi. I think he has a higher upside.

I’m with you on Corral. I sort of dismissed him prior to investigation. But he has a LOT to work with:

Rifle arm
Pinpoint accuracy
Deft touch (highly underrated)
Excellent athleticism
Plus escapability to extend in the pocket

He looks at least the equal of Zach Wilson, and I’d contend he has a lot better accuracy and touch. Plus he’s going up against the beasts in the SEC week in and week out which Wilson did not do. His size concerns me a bit, but he doesn’t look small out there. Willis is an elite athlete, but I just don’t know if he can be accurate enough. Corral might have IT.

I dont think you can even think about spending a high pick on a QB until we get some talent on this team at all the other positions, it would just be setting another QB up for failure…much like we’ve done now with Goff.

1 Like

I just don’t think it would be very hard to improve from what he brings. I mean 8TDs, 6 INTs, 6 Fumbles losing 4 of them. He’s not good. He’s throwing easy passes to Swift for most of the production he does have. When he does try to push the ball downfield, he’s throwing picks. He’s folding in the pocket. I fully understand we need much better at WR.

But there ARE open targets he is CHOOSING not to throw to as opposed to the shorter safer throw that brings the punt team on. To me it just would not be all that hard to improve upon his production at the position. I agree he’d be better with better talent around him. He’s just not the future. We need to operate with that as fact IMO.

1 Like

I agree. Our defense has to at least be middling before we throw rookie out there.

The transition Is hard enough without having to start every drive down on points and in crummy field position

2 Likes

Drafting #1 overall would suggest that now is the time. If you want to take the approach of waiting to see how he looks with a complete team, you don’t need to wait, he showed that in 2020.

2 Likes

Just because you draft the QB does not mean everything else stops. We’re paying for Goff next year. So after that, we’re just blowing huge money we could be paying for 2 elite FA’s. I see it as a win to get the QB this year. You can ease him in and still have THREE first round picks plus the rest and Goff’s FA money to add to the team around him prior to 2023. As opposed to using all your beans to try to scramble for the 3rd best QB in the 2023 draft with a slightly better team to bring him into. Then you are either asking him to start as a rookie, or twiddling thumbs until 2024. I think Corral is good enough to start the process with him. Take advantage of your draft position.

Not at all because you have Goff you don’t have to throw him in that’s the point, but him being here learning while your building puts you father ahead. And the QB and a couple starting caliber WRs and the offense should be good. That still leaves alot of resources for the defense.

Bingo. If Campbell and Holmes and the rest of this organization has to wait till 2024 to realistically begin their run at the playoffs, it may be too late to shake the taint of all this losing off.

I’d be ecstatic if Thibodeaux was the pick up top AND there was a way to get Corral with a trade up from the Rams pick. But that’s some pretty big dice to roll if you think Corral can be the dude and you wait to take him.

1 Like

Yeah, I agree I’d pay some beans for that action. Then you can start throwing some FA dollars at this thing too. I really think the main reason why they laid out so many short term FA contracts is so they could get their hands on the younger guys

I believe the decision has already been made, and that is Goeff is not the answer. Now I do not expect the Lions to act like fans and run out and just throw a shiny new toy on the field. In fact I hope they plan on getting someone to ride the bench for at least a year before he sees any real games.

As far as who they could get I am not the one to ask the last time I was right about a QB Bush senior was VP of America. With that said I just pray he is not a running QB, those players rarely work out no matter how much fans which they would.

New WR’s every time you’re under center? Check.
New OL every time you’re under center? Check.
You’re on a new team and not only do you not know the players…they don’t know each other. Check.

Yep, time to find a new QB.

3 Likes

i agree he’s not the future…i knew that, just was saying you pull him now , we don’t have a better option ‘now’. what you going to do, start Blough ?

There is just no point in cutting Goff and taking that cap hit then spend our top draft on a guy who is 1-2 years away from even being as good as Goff. At least we didn’t take Fields or Tua. If you can’t draft a guy who is going to elevate the team you may as well play what you have and keep building.

2 Likes