When do we have to make a decision on Goff?

I wouldn’t pass final judgement on Goff until after the 2022 season. Otherwise, you are saying that 2021 was a normal year and you could fully evaluate him in this situation. To which I disagree.

2 Likes

Don’t have to make a decision on Goff until next year.
The LIONS need a lot of players so you take the best available at this point.
Goff doesn’t appear to be the answer but the needs on the defense and WR are huge so address these areas and give Goff one more year to see what happens.
I don’t want to pass on Thibodeaux or any other top rated player for an average QB who will take 2 years to figure things out.

They will almost certainly give him until the end of next season even if they draft a QB this season. I always felt this was a 2 year experiment for Goff then go from there.

Personally, I don’t think he’s the solution regardless but it’s only fair to give him a full season with at least a few legit weapons and a relatively healthy offensive line before deciding to move on from him, or not. This current supporting cast (plus injuries) is setting him up for failure, not really fair for him.

If they draft a QB they’ve already made the decision.

For sure but Goff will be the starter next season either way. That’s kind of what I meant by giving him another season, kind of like a Smith/Mahomes situation.

If they don’t take a QB then it means that Goff will have another season to prove if he’s a long term solution.

The thread is about when do we make the decision. So you are just saying this year is his only year to prove himself and you are moving on.

If it was up to me, I’m taking a QB with the Rams pick if one of the high upside dual threat guys drop like Willis or Corral then redshirt them next season and find Goff a home thereafter.

I’ll also acknowledge that Goff wasn’t put in a position to succeed this season but I never wanted Goff in the first place so I’m speaking from a biased perspective. Gun to my head, I think they pass on a QB this draft and give him an honest chance to earn his spot long term next season with a better supporting cast.

I’m in the minority on this too. I think when we put the right players around him, Goff will be good.

1 Like

Boom i think this nails it great post.My wish as of right now would be if matt Corral is there when the lions pick take him.Let Goff play next year and see what we have after that let the best qb surface.Watching some of matt corral the dude is mobile pretty good awareness trys to manipulate coverages via pump fakes gets the ball out quick and has a strong arm a year as a backup and i think this dude may be a good nfl qb.

1 Like

Players like Goff don’t win Superbowls very often. You might think he’s as good as Nick Foles, Joe Flacco, Eli Manning, Brad Johnson, or Trent Dilfer. But that is the hard way to win. I want a better QB. I don’t want a mediocre QB prospect because I want to wait for a great one. If we draft another Stafford, we’ll be forced to keep him and pass on better QBs. At least if its a 2nd or 3rd round guy, or later, there will be a lot less pressure to keep a mediocre QB. So yes I would draft QBs, but only a guy who I feel strongly is a superstar with a top 10 pick. I don’t want to be the Bears stuck with Fields.

This may not age well after today.

As a post June1 cut in 2022, we save $10M with $20M dead cap by releasing Goff. That gives us time to see Boyle this season and our newly drafted QB through training camp before pulling the plug.

You’re not wrong. I’ve thought about this too.

My problem with Goff, is you can look at him, and it’s clear he doesn’t put time in to get better. Even his frail body is a clue that he isn’t ‘all in’. Other normal QB’s look jacked compared to Goff.
He attempts to get by on natural talent - which he has, but not enough to succeed without putting the effort in to get stronger, faster, tougher.

Nope.

Exactly. I don’t expect they are going to take on that $20M dead cap, when there’s no need to.

The organization’s mentality can completely be moving on from Goff, and it still makes sense for him to be here next season. A rookie isn’t likely to start from Game 1.

They don’t have to do that totally blind. If I understand the timing, say they 1) draft Howell with the first pick and 2) have seen in the latter part of this season that Boyle won’t freak like Goff and maybe even be able to evade an occasional blitzer.

If that happens and Howell adjusts to the pros quickly, the Lions could get rid of the stink quickly. I don’t think it’s out of the question. Goff is like a golfer with the yips and I don’t think it’s going away.

I would be shocked if the staff hasn’t already aligned on needing a new QB. No amount of weapons can fix the mental things that appear to be wrong with Goff.

If there’s a clear #1 in April at QB I’d be stunned and disappointed if we don’t take them.

If you don’t have a Qb you need to be looking for one and I see nothing this year that leads me to believe Goff is the guy.

I’d love to see Caldwell on staff. Stafford was a good QB but Caldwell made him great. I suspect it had to do with fundamentals and studying being increased but I don’t know but without some turn around like that on Goff we need a QB.

It kills me that people think Goff is the main player that needs to be replaced, and suddenly the rest of the misfit toys are going to make sense. Some of you deserve this team. For others, I’m sorry.

Agreed. But if the Saints call after the Winston injury tonight,I’m listening

He certainly isn’t the biggest problem but he is showing you anything to make you think he’s gonna fix what went wrong with him in LA?

What troubles me is the progression through his reads. Now is some of that locking in on one or two guys because it’s his only talent? Could be.

Today’s game is tough to judge much since he was running for his life entire game.

I’ve got a question then. If you were the GM, what’s the absolute first move you would make to fix this mess?

The time to go after the franchise QB is:

1. When there is an actual franchise QB available
  2. You’re picking high enough to get them.

Your method is going to kill the 2nd requirement. You want the team good, then we won’t be drafting high enough to land a franchise QB unless you know, we get lucky. Lions and luck aren’t too often seen together.