When have the Lions ever beat Vegas?

I know the supposed record is seemingly underestimated, but I can’t help but think the city around me has the city of Detroit beat in that way.

Jokes aside, can anyone legitimately tell me when the Detroit Lions actually exceeded LV expectations?

Vegas doesn’t have an NFL team yet…:crazy_face:

1 Like

And they never will.

Maybe you can corroborate this Vegas bro, but from what I’ve heard the city is about as excited to get the Raiders as they are to mow the lawn. Good luck upstaging the Golden Knights as a 3-6 win team with a gimmick head coach and a dumbass GM who gave away a generational pass rusher because generational pass rushers aren’t cheap.

1 Like

I’d assume they beat Vegas odds in 2014 with 11 wins. I can’t find 2014 odds to check though.

1 Like

You are not wrong at all. It’s funny, I was at Oscar Goodman’s 80th birthday party this week and he mentioned the Golden Knights to a huge ovation. When he brought io the Raiders, hardly anybody acknowledged it.

People here don’t want someone else’s rejected team, and they also don’t appreciate how we got totally screwed on the stadium deal. Literally one of the worst stadium deals in history, if not the worst.

On top of that, they’ve got no parking. So there’s no tailgating.

Go Knights Go! Foley took care of the stadium himself. I’ve never been a fan of any team this passionately, and I’m not the only one. I really love how this city has totally transformed into a hockey town. Granted, I’d love prices to go down, but it’s a wild experience so I’m not surprised.

A few random thoughts out of my butt:

1. Winning changes everything. If the Raiders come into town and start winning, locals are going to fall in love with them. If they stink, its going to be tough to get a foothold with the locals who didn’t grow up Raiders fans. The NFL knows this, which is why I feel like when a team moves they kind of give them a little “nudge” to help them win and gain that foothold. The Raiders have a bad relationship with the league, but I halfway expect that same little nudge to help them win as well.

2. As former Vikings, Nuggets and Spurs owner Red McCombs said…the main viability of a team is not thru the local attendance, its thru the wider following of the franchise. The Raiders are one of the top teams in the league for having a national following. I bet on any given weekend there are tons of Raiders fans from random states across the country visiting Las Vegas that would love to attend a game. And for those that aren’t already in town, being in LV opens up some possibilities to fly out specifically for a game since its such a cheap flight from so many airports.

3. I expect alot of die hard Raiders fans to come over from California to watch the team play. The team is now closer to Los Angeles area fans, and I’m sure there will be all kinds of flight discounts to head to LV.

I mean, cool for those people lol.

Like I said, I won’t be giving a damn unless I still live as close to the stadium as I currently do. Considering they’ve got very little parking planned (and even that was an emergency-style rush job,) they apparently plan on shutting down an entire side street so people can park a mile or three away and walk the rest of the way. That side street is steps away from my front door lol.

At any rate, I do actually wish them well with attendance. As I mentioned, Tax payers got absolutely f*cked on this one, so having the stadium be successful is the only real hope we have of making it a push at best.

I’m sure they’ll have a bus line, too.

How many stadiums actually have “enough parking” directly at the stadium? That’s a serious question, because I’ve never been to one and now you’ve got me curious. Hell, I had to park in a mudhole at a random location that charged me $30 to walk 20 minutes to get to Ford Field and that was a PRESEASON game. When I was at Michigan State it was the same shit. Parking in the actual lot back then was considered a VIP thing. I remember going to a Louisiana Tech game vs Boise State for a Thursday Night game. I parked on a side street just minutes from the stadium (still couldn’t get into the main lot). I thought I had hit the lottery. Years later I was part of doing a parking lot expansion as the concrete contractor, but there is still not enough spaces. I parked about a 10 minute walk away from a Charlotte Hornets game.

But if you have a house and are close enough to the stadium that people would park around you, you can make some quick money by selling spots for the games.

1 Like

This post really stinks.

2 Likes

Arizona. They built it in an area that had no homes or businesses.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks! How would I be able to research more? Like…can I just Google it or would I have to kind of ask individual fans? This has me really curious at this point.

1 Like

I totally get what you’re saying, but enough wasn’t my issue. It’s parking … at all.

Having NO parking means you have no tailgate. That’s what they’re possibly looking at opening day.

They’re going through a bit of a crisis right now, all because they wanted to shoehorn it onto The Strip. So far, it looks like Mandalay Bay will be trying to step up, but even that sounds like an absolute nightmare knowing how that walk is.

Nope, we’re renting – The housing bubble is already starting to turn into a mini version of 2007 all over again, so hopefully that changes in a few years.

That said, whenever we drive downtown ourselves, we park a few blocks away from Fremont Street, by houses. I’ve never understood why they don’t do exactly what you’re suggesting – I know I would – especially with them being older houses that most definitely are not in HOA’s. :man_shrugging:

Not sure.
I am going to guess AZ is one of the few.
Denver’s parking is not bad either, plus Denver has the light rail dumping people off very near the stadium. It’s really convenient and fairly quick.

This is what Vegas should do. Build huge lots in the desert and then shuttle them in via light rail from all directions.

Obviously they don’t play there anymore, but I visited the Chargers stadium in San Diego and it was the same thing. The rail literally dropped people off right there at the parking lot of the stadium. It was awesome.

2 Likes

Hell, build one huge lot with a light rail shuttle right down the middle of it. Continuous loop to and from stadium. 2 trains with 4-5 cars would move people really quick.

Build like 4 of them. Spur lines into the strip and the stadium.
Make the parking structures Commercial Solar Carport Canopies to help power the light rail.

Light rail costs a buttload (minimum $50M/mile. In Portland it’s more like $200M/mile) That’s why I’d build one and a huge lot instead of 4 smaller ones. If it works like crazy, #2 is an easier sell.

Maybe piggy back with the city and extend to center city so they can use the hell out of the parking lot?

So can I “tailgate” on the strip and then walk over to the stadium from the strip? Or is it too far for that? In New Orleans you can party on Bourbon Street and then walk over to the game.

1 Like