Where does Anthony Richardson get drafted?

AR is a polarizing player.

He has the traits and attributes of a top 10 pick.

But his accuracy is so bad that it’s hard to imagine him being drafted in the first round.

He’s definitely a long shot. Any team thinking of drafting him in round one will have to believe his accuracy problems are fixable.

Taking him top 10 is a risky, reach of a pick.

That doesn’t mean a team won’t do it. It just takes one team to think he’s fixable and worth taking the gamble on.

He’s going to be heavily looked at by teams over the next month. Just like Willis was…. They will bring him in for visits and test to see how trainable he is. His draft outlook won’t be decided until that’s all completed.

4 Likes

Except AR doesn’t “tend to”.

AR is further along at using his eyes to manipulate coverage than Allen was when he declared.

Well the games I watched his eyes were locked onto to one receiver. I didn’t see a lot of brilliant coverage manipulation happening

1 Like

I keep hearing how this guy is better than Malik Willis. And while I’d agree in general, which isn’t saying much, because I do think Richardson makes an attempt to play the QB position properly.

However, Malik Willis was far more accurate than what I’ve seen from Richardson. I never really agreed with the people who said Willis’s accuracy was terrible, I thought he has a zillion other problems, but his accuracy was ok.

Richardson, however, has terrible accuracy. Like f-ing awful.

1 Like

But AR can’t throw outside of the pocket or on the run or throw receivers open, all of which Allen excelled at.
There’s some things that work for that comparison and then others that really don’t.

1 Like

Allen did not excel at that in college. Allen didn’t excel at anything in particular while at Wyoming.

All about the footwork. His feet were less noisy in the opener and he was plenty accurate against Utah. He definitely reverted to poor habits. Can you drill consistency at applying best practices into him? :man_shrugging: That’s the million dollar question.

And I think the right team possibly can. Possibly. But that’s why he’s a project developmental QB. Someone will draft him higher than he should go but he should be a third round pick. Not at 6OA

3 Likes

And that’s fine. He’s clearly boom/bust. But we could be talking about Stroud or Young or Levis. My point remains the same. If Brad thinks they have “it”, pull the freaking trigger.

This is pretty spot on. You either say to yourself as a GM this here is a guy, that if I surround him with a good team can win a SB for me, OR you see him as a backup level guy who will contribute on the field very little. What DON’T you invest in the former? That’s why I thought Willis “could” be drafted high in the first last year. It only takes one team to see a toolsy guy with a great head on his shoulders and think they can win hardware with them. Willis had first round buzz with the same folks buzzing around AR. Though Willis had the small school and height added to it. Two reasons why AR is the better prospect and will go higher IMO.

The lack of accuracy, even with wide open guys is deal breaker for me. Remember those out routes to Hockenson from Goff that always seemed to sail wide right? How frustrating that was? That is not a bug, it’s a feature with AR.

1 Like

In all due respect that is a bit much.

Allen showed a ton of promise and potential. Everyone knew he was a project but he did a lot of things well and was extremely gifted and that showed.

AR15 is a bigger project if you ask me. He also is very gifted and it shows. Everyone knows he’s a project too.

The big difference between the two comes down to two things. AR15 is a bigger threat in the run game and Allen a bigger threat in the passing game.

AR15 is below Fields and Jackson as a passer. He has a lot more to work on than either of those two had coming out. That’s the truth of is.

The real question on AR15 is if you think his issues are correctable. It really comes down to how teachable the kid is and if he’s willing to put in the work.

1 Like

More and more I’m thinking three things will happen. None of which include us taking a QB. One a defender we want falls to us at 6 as we stand pat. This will mean that at least one team trades ahead of us to take one of the top 4 QB’s. This will mean at least three QB’s go and probably Carter and Anderson. We are sitting there with Wilson and probably have to just take the guy.

Route 2, we decide we want one of the three elite prospects Young/Anderson/Carter and trade up.

Route 3, the only QB that is viewed as a top 5 pick is Young, teams stand pat and scoop up the blue chip pass rushers and we are sitting there at six thinking if reaching for Murphy or Gonzales is the best plan. At that point, I really hope we trade down and hopefully in that circumstance, it will be a team desperate for Stroud/Levis/AR and will sell us the farm for our pick. This gives us beans in the sweet spot of the draft and gives us our first rounder in an area to address our biggest need which is starting outside CB. Several good options for us in that 8-15 range.

If Anderson, Carter and Wilson are gone by 6, the question for me becomes do you take a CB1 or a CB1 and LB prospect like Simpson or Sanders, or RB like Gibbs, or RG like Torrence or Schmidt. For me if I can’t get Carter, Anderson or Wilson, then I’m trading out if at all possible. It should absolutely be possible, because in this scenario at worst the number 3 QB is on the board and many will see a significant drop between #3 and #4 IMHO.

I think it’s the opposite. Agree to disagree. I actually watched Allen more than I should’ve being that I’m out west and they played late. He was for the most part a hot mess. The same can be said of AR. But with AR you actually have proof of concept against high level competition. With Allen there was no such proof of concept (though admittedly less oppportunities bc of Wyoming’s schedule).

1 Like

I agree it is the opposite. And let’s agree to disagree but I think it’s as simple as this.

Where were opposites at….

You view an athletic QB as a plus more than I do. So when you see a QB who’s super athletic your looking past the other flaws

Me I tend to look at the arm first …. So when I see a QB. Make NFL level throws I’m willing to look past the other issues

Both QB’s had concerns and issues coming out. I just think AR15 issues are harder to overcome. He’s a much bigger long shot.

In my opinion both players had high level upsides coming out. The talent is/was there. Question comes down to wether they are teachable, correctable or not.

I actually don’t think we’re far off on AR. It’s extreme risk/reward. Where I think we disagree on was just how underdeveloped Josh Allen was coming out of Wyoming. No biggie.

1 Like

Anthony Richardson is like a Rorschach test. You are going to see what you want to see.

All this negativity but IMO just no appreciation for how good he is. By some anyway. C’est La Vie. Some things never change. People get terrified of 1st round QBs and the reaction will be more pronounced because we have a QB who had a really good year.

I remember this same thing happening with Patrick Mahomes. And before somebody flies off the handle, I’m just saying its similar during that draft. Where everybody wanted to hate on Mahomes. A system QB that inflated stats. He took risks, ran unnecessarily, risky throws, improvised. Bad habits. didn’t have a repeatable throwing motion. I remember Zierlein called him Jay Cutler . A comparison I’ve seen on this board to Richardson. There were some who thought very highly of Mahomes too. Sean Payton said he was almost a Saint and he was the best QB he’d ever evaluated. The Chiefs GM fell in love very early with Mahomes. Arians was said to be taking him if he fell to 13.

IMO, Mahomes was an example of being pigeonholed and stereotyped by a lot of NFL team. Air Raid QB. Air Raid QBs are never successful.

I’ve come to the conclusion that many NFL talent evaluators are just plain bad. Or they have recency bias. Like Ryan Pace taking Trubisky over Mahomes because he didn’t want another Jay Cutler he wanted a Drew Brees (he came from NO). A consistent QB and for some reason unknown to man he thought Trubisky was going to provide that for him.

As for me, I’m enamored with talent. I have absolutely no qualms with those lamenting his accuracy. I see it as a valid concern, of course. Its just not deterring me because I think he is way further along than some give him credit. Its a question of footwork and maturing into his talent in my eyes.

2 Likes

The thing is I don’t have a problem with taking a first round QB. Or even trading up for one. Or taking a boom bust player high

I just think it’s not the right time. We have a top flight offense. We have a young PB QB. We have a brilliant OC who built this offense, with Goff, around his strengths. We are finally ahead of a correction curve in the NFL by moving back to a power-run under-center offense against defenses that have adapted to pass happy shotgun offenses. Led by a young veteran at the top of his game

Our defense has very little depth and for half the year was historically bad. We should be focusing on defense in the draft and build a full team rather than having fantasies of the next Mahomes

There’s going to be ‘the next Mahomes or Allen’ every single year in the draft. Last year we had these same conversations here when people were gaga over Willis. AR won’t be the last possible Josh Allen to enter the draft.

IMO Holmes is going to draft Witherspoon at 6OA then maybe double down on CB and take Gonzalez at 18 or grab a DL like Van Ness. I also think we will see a G and RB drafted in the first 5 picks

Then he’s going to extend Goff for three more years, drop his cap hit and bring in some veterans. This will be the year we make the playoffs and take the division

Goff will have another Pro Bowl season and AR will ride the bench in Carolina, coming in for some games mid season and throw a dozen picks

Then we can all revisit this thread and explain why we were either spot on right or terribly wrong. Que sera sera

4 Likes

Risdon didn’t give the info about Willis being a 3rd round pick. That was my scouting buddies with the Steelers, lions and ravens. Risdon disliked him immensely and made it clear when you talked to him. He loved Jermaine Johnson. Was hoping we would get him in the early second. Said there was a chance he went in the first.

Believe what you want. Do what you do best…….

1 Like

If Young slides to 6 are you okay with Brad taking him?

1 Like

I’d be waaaaaay more ok with Young. I wouldn’t agree with it, in part because I’d rather have Witherspoon or Carter in the off chance he falls. And he’s like Doug Flutie small so playing him under center probably isn’t going to be a thing

But watching Young reconnect with Williams would be fun. And he is way more NFL ready than AR