Which DT is best fit for our Defense/Roster?

I agree with this!

2 Likes

Exactly, and it would also be nice to move Alim out for a rest once in a while. Get a MLB that can back these guys up too and you just made it really, really hard to play against us. Take away the run and now it’s the Hutch and Houston show. Improve the secondary and now you’re getting coverage sacks. You have to take away the run first, that’s the objective. Make your opponent one dimensional and it’s off to the races to see who gets to the QB first.

2 Likes

I had to pick one from the list lol. And if you suggest taking Kancey at 18 before Bresee I think you’re nuts.
There’s a half a dozen players I would take at 18 before Bresee…but I was playing the game presented bro.

Very well said. I couldn’t agree more. And in the games we did stop the run last year, look what the pass rush did! Night and day for the defense when we stopped the run vs couldn’t stop it.

1 Like

I think we need a true DT that can play the run and the pass. With the running QBs the oversized slow NT types have no chance. Are coaches do a great job of putting guys in situations they can win. We picked up a lot of situational players off the scrap heep and find ways for them to contribute. We have to have DBs that tackle and more speed at LB. Love could be in GB and Fields in Chi. Remember if the other team sees slow gassed D line can just go hurry up to keep them out there.

:joy::joy: you’re really on a Roll today

Stylistically? Kancey

Physically? Carter

Mentally/Culturally? Apparently Benton.

1 Like

Carter yes, Benton yes, Kancey NO. We do not need any more situational pass rushers.

1 Like

I am looking for second rd DT I like Benton but will look closer at Pickens

He dominated his last 2 games against Clemson and Tennessee and SC won both of those games. He also looked great at the senior bowl until he went one on one with Smitz the C from Minnesota. He was unblockable for the rest of the guys but Smitz had his number.

1 Like

As much as I like the potential of Bresee & Kancey, I do agree that run stuffing DT is the biggest need.

Can’t we find that in FA rather easy? There’s gotta be a Big Daddy Wilkinson for us or a Corey Williams out there.

I mentioned Jordan Phillips…who else can we get for that role

1 Like

Actually you need a run stuffer and a 3t. We only really have McNeil and if they resign Buggs that 2 run stuffers or NT types. This team has needed a true 3t.

You haven’t watched the tape on bresee.

I do like Benson. Wouldn’t mind him in the 2nd but he probably gone before 48.

1 Like

This is close to where I’m at as well. I don’t know that he will be a superstar, but Mazi is incredibly strong and should do well against the run. He’s also not a garbage can, so likely offers more lateral mobility than some later round guys. I also feel he would be a good pro player, and seems to be a good worker and teammate. You can take all of this with a grain of salt though, as I am an admitted UM guy.

I don’t watch a ton of games or film of teams outside of the big ten, so I rely on you guys for your comparative skills.

I really want a good DT though… I’ve been on @BigNatty 's train for that since last year!

Agree, I think he is overhyped and has value in mid 2nd. Most NFL centers will drive him 10 yards off the line of scrimmage. People want to make him the next Aaron Donald because he is undersized and went to Pitt. Their college stats say not even close!

I’m asking seriously here, what’s so great about this Benton guy from Wisconsin? seems like everybody on the board is very high on him…what am I missing. Looks like a late round 3 guy or early round 4 guy.

I’d much rather have Jacquelin Roy DT from LSU than Benton if we are talking next tier level prospects.

1 Like

Well that’s the issue after Carter there is not a clean prospect or close. But he was pretty good in both run and pass rush for a big guy. He is one of the few guys good at both. Me I would sign Greg Gaines he is close to same type player. But Benton is better then Breese. And Roy also. I don’t get the love for Breese watch the tape he looks like a lumber jack moving , his hype is all from his freshman season.

1 Like

Benton moves well and has that IT mentality. He can stuff the run and offers some as a pass rusher too. I would love him and AA as our 2 2nd round picks. A sure true 3t and a potential game wrecker.

Kancey is not a starting nfl DT. Show me one other DL in the history of the league with micropenis arms thet short (30 5/8") who has succeeded at all? I will give you a hint that you can’t. Because there isnt one single example. Ever.

I think he’s seen as a grinder - a grit guy, so he’s a popular pick for us. But, like you, I don’t see a whole lot. I’m underwhelmed by all the day two prospects, Id rather take a chance for a day 3 guy…such as Roy or Devonnsha Maxwell (small school guy) or Jonah Tavai (I know, I know). The other guy a little intriguing is Kobie Turner, but I think he’s a round 4 guy and won’t make it us in round 5.

2 Likes

I agree - I think a lot of people ignore Mazi because he does not make splash plays. But I think he can eat up double teams better than just about any other DT in this class. He was a captain on the team and helped everyone else along that line be better. High floor guy as a NT and who knows what coaching might be able to do in terms of pass rush as a bonus?

2 Likes

How many of those players have Kancey’s get off the snap, runs a 4.67 40, and his production in college. I mean Carlo Kemp, who was not good in college already?