Which DT is best fit for our Defense/Roster?

Nikki Glaser GIF by Team Coco

What pro level OGs and Centers did Kancey line up against. I havent seen any film of him againt pro level olinemen.

AA practiced at 3T at the senior bowl and was disruptive. He has way better speed, burst, and overall measurables than Kancey. He was an end in college but will move inside in the pros.

Heck i would take Keion White or AA over Kancey to play DT. Im not saying it is impossible for Kancey to succeed. But if i had to bet millions of dollars on a draft pick then im definitely considering massive statistical outliers when making that decision. If there is tape of him doing his thing against pro level linemen then i woud feel better. Maybe it exists?

I haven’t watched the tape of Bresee…what did I say that leads you to that conclusion?

He’s not flashy but he gets the work done. Really, really good against the run. Showed some pass-rushing chops at the Senior Bowl which was always the question with him - Wisconsin didn’t let him pass rush that often. He’s your classic jack of all trades master of none, and also apparently has the mentality our FO is gonna love (already loves if you listen). He’s also one of the few prospects besides Carter and maybe Dexter who might give you both run-stopping and pass-rushing prowess. The rest of the guys are pretty one-dimensional.

And we shouldn’t touch Jaquelin Roy, that guy had all-time terrible testing for a guy who’s supposed to win the way he does. I wouldn’t be shocked if he’s a UDFA now, he just doesn’t meet NFL thresholds.

I like Benton more than most do. On another thread I said it would not surprise me if he is taken in the 1st round. The Badgers pretty much used him over the center to eat blocks and he did that well. He was always double teamed and still managed to make plays and push the pocket. What I liked was that he was still bringing it in the 4th quarter. He was not gassed like the other DTs that have to rest for 2 series to play one.
At the senior bowl he was like a kid in a candy store facing one on one drills. He was unblockable and showed he can really get up field. he went on to show the same skills in the actual game. I think he had a sack and several pressures. He understands leverage because he has an outstanding wrestling background . I think this is where he gets the stamina to not take plays off. Honestly I’m not his dad or his agent I just like this football player.

2 Likes

???

I’m playing the original posters game. I had to pick one and Bresee at 18 is my favorite among the choices at a realistic draft spot. I’m not taking Kancey at 18 and I don’t think he makes it to 48. And I’m not a fan of Mazi or Ika.

1 Like

Yeah it’s hard to find a DT there without reaching.

Is this what you’re referring about??..Who knew?

1 Like

MAZI it is.

1 Like

To trade options:

1:) Grover Stewart - I keep coming back to this one but he’s perfect if the Colts are open to moving him. He’s a FA next year so they may be.

2:) Zach Seiler - another premium run defender. Like Grover he’s got some range in addition to being a load that you almost have to double on running plays. He’s also a FA after next year but is pretty cheap for 2023 so I’m unsure that the Dolphins want to move him.

Facts. We are seriously short on DT’s. Need to add two more guys to Mac and Buggs before the season.

4 Likes

Buggs is a FA whom I suspect we want back if cheap enough. I’m hoping we look to FA for a DT that can be a real run stuffer.

This years DL market is pretty strong and I expect the Lions to get one.

Someone like Dalvin Tomlinson or Sheldon Rankins would be a good fit.

Zach Allen is a DT I think we could target. He’s young and a decent pass rusher.

4 Likes

2022 4 DT’s were taken in the first 3 rounds. 2021 there were 4 and we took 2 of them. 2020 was an exceptional year, there were 9 taken in the first 3 rounds. I think in round 3 we can get the 4th or 5th best DT in this draft. If Carter isn’t there in the first I have no problem waiting until the 3rd and then getting the best run stuffing DT available. We have guys like Pascal and hopefully Cominsky that can be rotated inside on passing downs. For me it would be Mazi Smith.

2 Likes

Pitt plays in the ACC: Clemson, FSU, NC, GT, Duke, Syracuse, Miami, UVA, WF VaTech, BC, NCSt, Louisville

Zacch Pickens is a guy I’m starting to come around on a little more. He had a great combine (9.31 RAS) and on his tape this year you started to see why he was a 5-star recruit. He’s got real juice, a great first step. He doesn’t have the greatest anchor but of the attacking 3techs in this class, his is one of the best.

1 Like

What iOL prospects from those schools that he has lined up against are projected nfl starters? Preferably in this draft class. Give me names and I will go watch some film. None of the guys i have looked at in this draft played in the acc but i dont claim to know every player. And i make plenty of mistakes. So help me out.

Chandler Zavala and Jordan McFadden will be starters in the league. McFadden played outside in college but Zavala was a guard. Alim Richards will be drafted.

That seemed to get fixed after the azz beating we took in Carolina. Re-sign Buggs and the McNeil / Buggs combo on run downs, plus better LB play and we’re fine against the run. All our interior pass rush options are Big SSDE’s. Commish/Paschel/Hutch. IF Levi comes back and turns into something, great, but absolutely cannot count on that. If Kancey is there with our 2A I’m fine with dropping it on him. Benton later on a bit. We are going to rotate our Dline. We aren’t going to go with a Williams Wall situation where we count on the same two guys all the time. We’ll have plenty of beef for short yardage downs. They can pick up a big space eater later in the draft if we want to add that.