Which player do you think can surprise by getting drafted much earlier than expected?

I would love this pick. His ceiling is WAY high, while his floor is pretty nice too.

George Pickens. Dude is an alpha with some injury history hurting his perceived value. One could argue he’s the most polished WR in this class when healthy.

2 Likes

It might for sure, or it could be like a Parris Campbell/KJ Hill situation. Those guys weren’t as highly regarded as prospects, but they were much more highly regarded by the Ohio State staff compared to Terry McLaurin.

Matt Araiza, the punter from San Diego State, might go early on Day 3.

A budding Jack Fox.

Matt Araiza Draft and Combine Prospect Profile | NFL.com

Its hard to use the word “wrong” when it comes to Ohio State and Burrow. First, they won a national championship with Burrow watching from the sidelines. And later on when Burrow lost the starting job…it was to the most prolific passer in the history of the Buckeyes. And even after Burrow left, the guy who grabbed the starting job was one of the greatest QBs in school history and was also a 1st round pick. And I think that is the story of the Ohio State Buckeyes. They are tasked with choosing between alot of really talented players.

Its also important to remember that Joe Burrow was kind of ordinary before he exploded in his final season at LSU. As a junior in 2018 he played, and he clearly wasn’t on the level of the guy Ohio State chose over him (Dwayne Haskins).

2018 Season
Joe Burrow - 379 passing attempts…57.8%…2,894 yards…16 TD…5 INT.
D. Haskins - 533 passing attempts…70.0%…4,831 yards…50 TD…8 INT.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m not saying I fault them necessarily, I’m saying that just because guys like Burrow, McLaurin and Jameson didn’t get their shots at Ohio State doesn’t mean they should be discounted (as was happening above with Jameson). And for the reason you stated, there’s a lot of talent at Ohio State. I would still say they were wrong, though, who knows they might have won three or four titles? I just don’t blame them for it because it wasn’t an easy choice.

I wouldn’t - the NFL places a premium on that kind of speed and if he were bigger he’d be a lock to go round one. It’s his size that has pushed him down draft board projections but in recent years teams have drafted in round one a lot of small WR’s who were fast.

J. Waddle, M. Brown, B. Cooks, and T. Austin are all similar style players in similar size that have had some NFL success. All were round 1 selections.

Personally I’m not opposed to a smaller, fast receiver like that because teams are utilizing them in the quick strike passing game but I’d prefer more size myself.

With that said I think we will see 5 WR’s go round one and a bunch more in round two. I think there will be some surprises too. I think some will fall and some will rise up and those WR’s with crazy speed like Austin will always be a premium.

loop tricks GIF

2 Likes

[quote=“Thats2, post:26, topic:15327”]
I would still say they were wrong, though, who knows they might have won three or four titles? I just don’t blame them for it because it wasn’t an easy choice.
[/quote]ie

Ohio State always seems to have their favorites and they do tend to leave talent sitting on the bench.

Alabama seems to always give their bench plenty of opportunity. At least more than OSU does anyway.

I would argue that Bama has more talent than most teams and they seem to find a way to get their bench more in the rotation. You look at guys like Waddle, and Metchie who had 800+ yard seasons coming of the bench.

I’d agree OSU is doing it wrong if their talented bench isn’t getting much opportunity. I mean Williams only had about 10 targets off the bench. There’s something wrong with that.

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

1 Like

Here is the comp for a highly drafted small WR…

Funny thing about the RAS score… they have pretty similar numbers on the testing except for vertical jump… but Austin didn’t do a bench press and it didn’t count against his RAS… though we can be fairly certain a 170 pound guy isn’t gonna put up many reps.

I read somewhere he did it at his pro-day. I think he did 11 which I’d say is pretty good for his size.

That would be good for his size… but would also bring that RAS score down quite a bit.

Jets take him @ 4

Tyler is pretty good.

The way Ohio State produces points, passing yards, and championships, I don’t think they are doing much wrong. Seems like a nitpick.

Truth is you can’t keep a WR room like that happy. Too much talent. If anything, Jameson Williams is an example of why the transfer portal can help kids reach their potential. Either somebody was getting a bargain steal this draft or he never pans out, if he stays at Ohio State.

1 Like

I think Matt Corral goes in the first half of round 1

I think Pickett has a chance of going much higher than people think, possibly top 10. I’ve seen mocks drop him into the 2nd round, which is silly IMO

Agree - I think Corral goes high, maybe even the first QB off.
My hot take: Willis, Corral, Pickens, and Ridder are gone by pick 27. Its just how we roll.
And please don’t pick Howell at 32.

Daniel Jeremiah says Jameson Williams could go #4 overall to the Jets: