Which Prospect Is Clearly Under/Overrated?

Fantasizing about the next stars to draft for our favorite team is a billion-dollar industry that gives us almost as much pleasure as it does millionaire Mel Kiper Jr. - and we’re each about as accurate as he is.

So, looking to the combine, I wonder if anyone else on this forum is seeing some things that draft and talent prognosticators are missing about who is under and overrated, like.

1. Cyrus Torrence isn’t worth a 1st round grade. He’s a G with lateral limitations. His power is great, but he can’t pull like Jonah Jackson who went in the 4th rd. To draft a G in R1, he’s gotta do it all.

2. Bijan Robinson is amazing, but Lions would be idiots to take Bijan in R1 (see Barkley, Saquon). There are too many good RBs in this draft to blow on an R1 on a position that gives you 4-5 very good years typically.

3. CJ Stroud is better than we want to admit. Big, strong, accurate to all levels, calls out alignments, makes audibles, throws with anticipation and can run (just doesn’t), He is PERFECT for a play-action offense. Lions don’t need him, but he is the more mobile, less experienced, $28M cheaper Goff (who went #1 overall).

4. Emmanuel Forbes (CB) is underrated. I think he’ll be drafted R1 despite what draft simulators say. I hope Lions/Dre Bly get him because he’s a ballhawk, sticky, plays man and zone well and is a touch of a gambler - like Bly.

I don’t know how it will go, but I know what my gut and my mind tells me about those four.

What’s your gut and mind telling you about some guys (or these guys)?

6 Likes

I happen to agree with your post except your cheap shot at Goff It was not needed an showed what you real attempt was with the post. Just another anti Goff post only hidden better than many.

An he is not cheaper he just adds what his cost is to goff for next two years at least. Cheap shot

No Way Wtf GIF by Harlem

He is more mobile then Goff. Since when did stating obvious become a cheap shot……

5 Likes

I thought coyote was being facetious. I was laughing out loud until I got to the end and made the same exact face lol. This place is nuts.

2 Likes

Your post is the real cheap shot here.

2 Likes

The obvious answer here is Anthony Richardson. Runaway winner for me.

4 Likes

Only to the haters who have to continue the shots at Goff.

I really like the post there was no need to bring up Goff an less your one of the anti Goff posters who are still lurking in the weeds

You mean the next Willis for you LOL

I agree with you, esp with Forbes.

A guy who was overrated initially by alot and still is overrated somewhat is Bresee.
Another guy that I also just don’t see it for is Porter.

I think Jack Campbell is underrated… but I have a soft spot for off-ball linebackers.

4 Likes

You mean like Benito Jones. Lol

I really like Forbes but some reports seem to think he won’t test well, he a 4.59 guy. Then I just read that he was fast. So really can’t wait to see his #s so grade him down I think because of the lack of timed speed.

2 Likes

IIRC… Forbes had a 4.59 time coming out of high school… but I have seen something predicting him to land in the 4.45-4.50 range.

2 Likes

If he test well he may be a guy to look at in that 18 range.

AR 15 is the most overrated prospect right now. Especially with talks of him being a top 5 or 10 pick. Whoever drafts him will be looking for a new QB in 2, maybe 3 seasons. That is just my opinion

3 Likes

Kyle Trask was a better option coming out of Florida and he went in the 2nd round. I certainly hope QB needy teams see AR15 as a legit option and make us an offer we can’t refuse. Move down and then grab an extra first with the draft capital. Underrated, well, Charlie ■■■■■■■ Jones of course.

2 Likes

Nice OP
The only thing I’ll comment on is the R1 RB thing
Taking the RB in R1 could brilliant or could be stupid
I’m not studied on the opportunity cost of not taking other guys over the RB but I think that’s what it ultimately comes down to …
Which pick provides maximum return for your team, over the course of their career?
5-6 years of generational RB performance is better than 7-8 years of solid contribution from another position
Many talk “win now” during FA — take the expensive name or trade for Ramsey
Taking the generational RB (IFF he is that) is also a “win now” move, I think

Anyway, nice thread idea, sorry I don’t have an opinion on who’s over or underrated

2 Likes

100% agree

1 Like

It’s changed a bit as guys like Sydney Brown and Henley would have been on my list two months ago but have moved way up. Conversely at one point Ringo would have been on my overrated list during the season but the pendulum has over-swung…

Overrated -

• The OTs outside of Skoronski (if he’s seen as a Guard) - just seems like positional value and pedigree has pushed them up

• Antonio Johnson (if he/s truly seen as a top 35 pick) - not sure there’s any spot that he’s plus at in the pros

• Torrence - fine Guard but I don’t see a big difference between him an the other top OGs

• Dalton Kincaid - nice receiving TE but wasn’t even the best big skill guy on his own team when Kuithe wss healthy. He’s also turning 24 in the fall and doesn’t give you a ton in the run game. Good weapon but not a first rounder IMO

Underrated

• JSN - I think he does well at the combine and his rating returns to where it should be. Just a slot but the clear WR1 IMO. A Sun God level slot player

• Kelee Ringo - I don’t love him for us. The hips are an issue but he’s a freak and in the right system can excel. The idea of him as a 3rd rounder is absurd IMO. Combine will revive his stock

• Sean Tucker - lateral movement is meh, kind of robotic, and not that instinctive. But that size/speed combo on early day 3? That’s some value. Same logic probably applies to Izzy A. who I think is more instinctive but not as good in the pass game.

• Trey Palmer - would have led the NCAA in receiving yards if Casey Thompson stayed healthy. For some reason he’s mocked way below the other burners.

• Kei’Trell Clark and Clark Phillips - they’re small but they’re both warriors that are sticky as hell and have instincts playing the ball that allow them to make up for their size. I think both can play outside.

• Nick Hampton - I think he’s every bit the pass rusher that D’Angelo Malone was. You have to work around his size but I think he’d develop into a resource in zone drops given his twitch and length

I think about half of my underrated guys get a boost next week due to their performances in Indy.

3 Likes

I agree on Torrence. He has the size and strength but I really don’t like his feet when I watch his tape. His footwork is slow and sloppy. It causes him to get beat more than he should. I know that can be coached but if I’m drafting a guard in the first round he should be a plug and play guy.

4 Likes

I think Devin Wetherspoon CB is over rated.

1 Like