Who are your top 5 favorite Lions & Why?

I am :pensive:

1 Like

Can I still say Slay & Diggs?

grumble - grumble…

1. Al Baker
  2. Charlie Sanders
  3. Barry Sanders
  4. Billy Sims
  5. Penei Sewell

Nick Fairley’s favorite was Colonel Sanders.
Ba Dum Tss GIF | Gfycat

2 Likes

He’s right there with a few others. He’d be on a top 10.

2 Likes

Current list

1. Hutch - Rare a guy has this kind of motor paired with this kind of skill set

2. Sewell - having elite offensive lineman is up there for things I want when building a franchise.

3. Joseph - a ball hawking safety is probably my favorite type of player on a football field. Merton Hanks was my dude lol

4. ARSB - been as big a ARSB doubter (in terms of a star player) that there has been on this board. Proved me wrong time and time again. Dude is an elite possession receiver. One of the best 25 WRs in the league.

5. Swift - I love his skill set. Heartbreaking he is so injury prone. Touches have been a positive when contemplating an extension. But unfortunately, injury risk outweighs everything. And he probably has to go.

ALL-TIME List

1. Herman Moore - was my first favorite player. Very underrated as well. An injury derailed his career. One that if it happened today, he probably recovers from.

2. Matt Stafford - Matt made it 12 years in Detroit…it’s unbelievable honestly. Was still a stud with coaching turnover and little help in development. If he was drafted to a competent franchise I have no question he would be in a different conversation in terms of all-time rank.

3. Barry Sanders - nothing needs to be said. A friend of mine once said in a group of our friends that Barry used to go outside when it was pouring and come back inside dry :joy: took everyone a few seconds to laugh.

4. Calvin Johnson - a true freak or nature at his position. Comparison for me is LeBron James. He’s not the best ever, but the most god given freak there’s ever been at WR.

5. Jason Hanson - I didn’t know any other kicker up until the day he retired. Was 6 years old when he was a rookie. It’s funny that I almost never remember him missing when his FG% today would get him cut :joy:

1 Like

In the current regime, this list nails it by order of importance. Maybe could switch Hutch and the Sun God but definitely agree.

2 Likes

Too many amazing humans to get 'm all in!
…& I lov that!

1 Like

I love that some of you guys included coaches.
If I were to do that, I would have the same list, but with

1. coach Daniel
  2. Brad Holmes
    …then the guys I listed.

Also love that lots of you went “all time”

Barry would rank above Fox for me.
I LOVE that some of my fav all-time are on this team & rising.

I truly believe that Sewell will be in the GOAT conversation by the time it’s all said & done.

I also believe that Holmes will add one or 2 that will be on your list next year that are not even on the team yet.

This is getting to be REALLY fun.

1000% in on this statement too, bro. There are QBs that will show out muuuch better stat-wise, but I sure would love to have seen what Matt looks like in a situation like the one we have now → Wowza!

1 Like

All time

Barry
Stafford
Suh
Sledge
Mega tron

Current
Mcdc
Hutch
Sewell
Goff
Fox
St brown (5 players 1 coach)

In no particular order:

Sewell
Raymond
JWill
ARSB
Cujo

Honorable mention - Hutch, Cominsky, Buggs, Rodrigo, Decker

All time

Herman Moore
Barry
Stephen Boyd
Cory Schlesinger
Glover Quin

2 Likes

Surprised no one mentioned Robert Porcher!!

4 Likes

I knew surprisingly little about him as a human…just his on field stuff.

Lomas & Ellis were fantastic humans, as well as Speilman.

1 Like

I thought of Porcher! Did not think of Elliss but he would be up there too!

2 Likes

Favorite Lions - before I read yours.

Gotta go with 3 obvious ones:

AidenH

Jamaal Williams

St Brown - not in that order

The other two?

Anzalone. He’s worn on me. I’m not always his big fan. But he’s got the heart of a Lion.

Last one - is tough for me. Raymond. I was often skeptical of him - but he does all he can to make the catch - and he’s not bad at getting some separation. Even can catch over the shoulder unlike most slot guys.

I’d say Goff isn’t far off my Top 5. On a different day he might have made that cut. Just felt these others needed the shout out.

I want to list Swift - and looking ahead he’s still my guy. Alas the injury and lingering effects moved him out of the top 5.

I’m assuming Jamison Williams will land on the Top 5 soon - despite some worries I’m sure we’ve seen.

Others will list some OL guys - but I’ve never been one to shower OL guys with love. It’s an unsung position!

4 Likes

1 - Kerby. My favorite players have always been DB’s especially the ball hawks. I’m most excited for him.
2 - The OLine would take up 4 spots. So I’m just going to give them love as a whole. They are the MVP’s! Sewell is a young monster, and he’s the future, and Jonah Jackson quietly became one of the best guards.
3 - Jacobs. I love the way he plays. He is a true DC guy, and I know the coaches love him. He’s been a difference maker. I am really rooting for the guy especially since he’s undrafted. I have a superstition about numbers. He just needs to change his number.
4 - Rodrigo. It’s been a long time since we’ve had a good LB, and I love a good LB.
5 - Houston. Von Miller 2.0.

Honorable mentions:
Alim McNeil. I can’t help but think this guy is ready to explode.
Josh Paschel. Things changed when he stepped on the field. He has been, and could be that do it all guy where you can’t win without him. That unsung hero.

Ra reminds me of Cooper Kupp. Just wanted to throw that in there.

I guess I just love underdogs. The undrafted, or late round draft picks, or under the radar guys. And they are showing so much potential. How can you not cheer for them?

EDIT: Some people are adding an all-time list. So here is mine.
1 - Barry. Duh. I honestly think he’s the best NFL player of all time.
2 - Stafford. Best Lions QB of all time. Great personality to match. Loyal Lion. Great family. could have been an all-time great with another team, although I still think he is. It killed me how he didn’t get the love he deserved. He won a superbowl which makes up for everything.
3 - Cory Schlesinger. He deserves love.
4 - Chris Spielman. For sure.
5 - Slay.

Glover as an honorable mention. Dre Bly, and Don Muhlbach!
I have to say I really liked Roy Williams.
One of my favorite players was Alphonso Smith…LOL

2 Likes

Loved it all, bro!
Love seeing how excited you guys are about this team too

No pressure, James

1 Like

Hahah! I call Kerby baby Ed Reed. Unrealistic high hopes is fun.

Don’r get me wrong. I do love James. I just would love a 24 year old Von Miller a lot more.

2 Likes