Who are your top OC candidates?

Lol. With an up and coming QB Pederson would probably possess a lot more credibility than Dan. Dan cares but how smart is he?

I agree! Dan won’t admit he’s a micro manager. I suspect it won’t be a top tier guy.

Counterpoint, we could have the same amount of wins and our offense could be learning an innovative and high scoring NFL offense instead of the Woody Hayes system that is sure to give NFL defenses fits… eventually.

1 Like

With a QB who doesn’t quite fit the system and receivers that mostly won’t be here to execute its schemes? I guess.

I think people are getting their hopes up that Campbell has plans to execute their favorite college offenses.

I’d bring in the top madden player from the detroit area. give them the current lions playbook and go nuts. run a no huddle but don’t get the oline down until 5 seconds left on the playclock then run the play. don’t let the D sub out. the skill players suck so you might as well use everything you can that can give you an advantage.

Our QB doesn’t fit any system which actually requires him to throw the ball beyond 10 yards and the entire NFL knows it. I think we are getting our hopes up that Dan Campbell will recognize that he’s really not doing a very good job calling plays and that he needs to own that, and replace himself with a legit OC who can get his players to overachieve.

I think he’s clearly going to get a new OC. I just don’t think anyone on this team learns anything from the fun and gun. They can change schemes, but they need players.

Just like with every coaching hire, I want a guy who can be flexible and adapt his scheme to the players that are on the team.

I am not okay with hiring a system guy who then needs a few seasons to collect “his players”.

1 Like

That’s the big difference between the NFL and a top college program. Urban Meyer is getting a lesson in that. Not every position is three 5-star recruit deep.

1 Like

That’s a while off.

Brian Hartline.

That’s it, that’s the response.

He’s not leaving Ohio State.

Goff played in an Air Raid offense at Cal.

5 starting Olineman, a starting Pro Bowl TE, at least one WR, a franchise RB and his two backups disagree. Totally agree about needing more talent, with you 100% and I’m ready for QB change in the 2022 draft (I like Corral hopefully with a trade up, but may have to be a trade down). I just don’t think it would have been complete futility to be losing every game we play AND beginning to install an offense that is just a bit more advanced than the local Pee Wee teams is.

What to look for in the next great coordinator.

Types of Coaches on the Market

1. The proven coordinator (maybe former failed HC). Wade Philips was an awesome first pickup for McVay, an unproven. These guys are expensive and you can hope to catch these guys after a failed HC job or coaching transition. As a proven/former HC they are likely to want things their way and may be difficult to “control”. Lynn is one of these. Pedersen and Garrett would be as well.

2. The castaway. Find a coordinator from a losing team that maybe outperformed. Someone that has it in them but needs the rest of the locker room and GM to be right. These guys are likely to last the longest as they have seen a crappy culture and will be content to be in a good one. Is the Lions culture and talent good enough?

3. The college star. Ready to embark on the next level, until the last ~8 years you saw a lot of college HCs becoming coordinators, many from the pac-12. Now days they want to go straight to HC a la Urban Meyer, Saban, Kelly, Harbaugh,Kingsbury etc. Carroll was one of the early ones but he had previous HC experience.

4. The rising position coach. A guy that makes the entire room better and takes increasing responsibility head on. Natural leader and able to cite the important metrics for their next position and beyond. This is McVay, Staley, Taylor, LaFleur etc. The problem with this type is they want to climb and may not stay too long. Rams have been primarily getting these types of coaches but the turnover has been very high.

Based on Staley and all these guys going through the rams organization, it’s clear that Snead and team (maybe it was Holmes) spend a ton of time watching all position coaches and coordinators much like they watch players and have a draft board equivalent. They are looking for high-value coaches to snatch off other teams as if they were on a practice squad and undervalued.

Rams took Morris, the Atlanta Falcons DC for their new DC. That would fit in the mold of #2 the cast away.

What the rams look for:
McVay clearly has a type and they look a lot like him. He wants high-energy and opinions. He wants football junkies. He wants teachers. He wants those that can adapt to the opponent. They want a metrics focus as evidenced by hiring the PFT guys.

What type do you want for the next OC? Someone more proven that is a lower risk and should field a top 15 defense or an up-an-comer that could build the #1 defense or blow it and have a bottom 25 defense?

2 Likes

I think if DC is going to be HC, I think you almost have to go with an up and Comer, someone more malleable in their philosophy and approach. Lynn IS the former HC/Coordinator, if they are going to replace him, it wouldn’t make sense to try to do it again.

It’s a good question, that’s my take, and it’s sad because someone brought up Brian Schottenheimer, who I think would warrant some consideration for the type of offense that DC looks like he wants to run. Then again, Lynn looked like he was a perfect fit too.

1 Like

Mike kafka

1 Like

Then we have our QB? Just switch the scheme I guess.

Kafka would join fellow offensive coaches from the Andy Reid coaching tree…

Matt Nagy
Doug Pederson
Brad Childress
Pat Shurmur

Definitely the hardest positions to learn in the fun and gun.

I agree with you here. Physically he looks like someone they should take a look at.