Who is Your Favorite Lion's Pick in this Draft?

Joaquin Phoenix Thumbs Down GIF

2 Likes

LoL. Maximum effort man. All I can do is my best. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Obvious pick is Sewell but the more I watch/research the more I love me some Amon-Ra.

I think we found an absolute gem there.

1 Like

I like Sewell but the “generational” talent label is a pretty high bar. I hope he is, but I’ve stated before that I doubt that he’s better than Tristan Wirfs. What I do like is that before the draft he worked out at RT, showing he not only could play the position but was willing to. You know how much less he’ll make if he stays there instead of moving to the left side when his rookie contract is up? Believe me there are OT’s that would have never offered to even try to make the move. It shows character and maturity and that he’s a team player. Combined with his physical abilities I expect great things.

1 Like

I think its real easy. If he starts the year on the right side, he’s not a generational talent. Unless were talking generational talent as a RT or OG.

This is not to say he won’t be good or that I dislike the pick, but I agree generational talent is a really high bar. He’ll have to come out and play very very well to earn that label.

That doesn’t make any sense.

Dave Chapelle What GIF

6 Likes

So if we drafted Anthony Munoz or Tony Boselli are we starting them on the right side because of Tyler Decker?

Because that is the type of guy I’m thinking of with the term “generational talent”

I don’t understand that. Will he play LT eventually?yes. Does he have to start there right away? I don’t see why since we have a pro bowl caliber LT in Decker and a huge void at RT which I’m more comfortable putting Sewell there then switching Decker after having a career year.

1 Like

How about Willie Roaf or Jonathan Ogden?

Barry Sanders didn’t start his first game (though he earned it extremely quickly).

Tom Brady didn’t start until Bledsoe went down.
A.Rodgers didn’t start for years.

Many guys work their way into the groove and don’t start out as what they evolve into. Sewell will be an absolute monster here. Best trench player we’ve had since Suh.

1 Like

Ditto love these picks .

1 Like

Those guys can be called generational talents now. But when they were drafted?

I could be wrong but I don’t remember anybody calling Willie Roaf a generational talent leading up to the draft.

Maybe I’m splitting hairs. I just don’t think we should put that on this kid. I think he’s going to be great and if he becomes a HOFer that’d be something awesome.

1 Like

Damn Pat swilling i wanted roaf …

1 Like

I don’t think LOT V. ROT matters as much anymore as teams have learned how to chip DEs to help tackles. Look at what the Saints do for example. If your ROT sucks…that is where you are going to see Mack for example.

If you are great at both tackles that opens the underneath stuff as helping the tackles isn’t that important.

I get the blind side thing and that is true but having two good tackles had never been more important in the NFL.

Yes, which we all knew you would do instead of just taking back your point. You don’t have to double down on everything. Its okay to walk away from some statements.

1 Like

You try too hard bro.

Lighten up.

I just saw it coming from a zillion miles away.

season 4 driven to tears GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

I think we all have to acknowledge that if Sewell is what he’s billed, then, yeah, Decker should be RT. When OTA’s and training camp roll around, do you think we’re going to hear about Decker taking snaps at RT and Sewell at LT? I think we are. Would anyone be surprised if the LT who played RT in college and is on a recently-signed team-friendly deal for starting OT is playing RT in September and the generational talent who “fell” to #7 is playing LT?

2 Likes

Yes, I would be surprised.

Nothing would surprise or concern me. It feels like making a mountain out of a tiny ant hole.
I have zero concerns of his starting at RT or LT, next season. I want them to do what is best for the team. I’m sure they’ll do it in a way that makes Backus feel honored as well. Maybe one of them can play LT anthem other can’t? What if Backus can’t make the transition? What if Sewell can do it easily? Who knows?
This will work itself out. This organization has been good to Backus. I think he’ll make the transition. I just hope he re-ups, when his contract is up. I like the guy and think he’s a very good player. The rest of our OL has been so bad that Backus hasn’t gotten much attention, but he is a very good player. He had a couple of down years when he was injured, but has been mostly very solid and done exactly what was asked of him.